Closed Circle by Robert Goddard

Closed Circle (original 1994; edition 1994)

by Robert Goddard, Samuel West (Reader)

Member:hoddybook
Title:Closed Circle
Authors:Robert Goddard
Other authors:Samuel West (Reader)
Info:HarperCollins (1994), Edition: Abridged edition, Audio Cassette
Collections:Audiobooks, Your library
Rating:***1/2
Tags:conspiracy, thriller, mystery, WWI, confidence trickster

Closed Circle by Robert Goddard (1994)

If you've read a few of Goddard's novels, you'll recognize the set up - the semi-legit hero of the piece gets drawn into a situation that's wider and deeper in magnitude than he initially thinks, he's got a checkered past, but his heart's mostly in the right place, there's a woman involved who probably can't be trusted, the forces arrayed against him will stop at nothing to protect themselves and the body count mounts. Don't let that put you off, though Goddard often uses this rough framework, he injects a lot of individual differences to keep you interested in how he'll work it all out.

Spoilers!

The final solution to this one reminded me a lot of Chinaman's Chance by Ross Thomas in the way that the conmen become the conned. Only in the end does Guy realize that while he and Max were trying to hook Diana, she in turn was luring them in just as hard. Because I read a lot of this kind of thing, I never fully trusted her or auntie Vita, but D turned out to be a lot more vicious than even I thought. When the scales fall from Guy's eyes and he gives her the chronology of her crimes, there was still doubt that she deliberately killed Max. I thought she and Vita did the deed on dear old daddy, so the doppelganger angle was a surprise. Ludicrous, but then again the whole conspiracy of the Concentric Alliance was out there so a little more didn't seem too bad. Max's character was subtle enough that he didn't seem too over-the-top as well, so that was a relief. Neither was Diana a total cartoon femme fatale either. Both of them shared a common denominator that they would each do what was best for themselves, claiming loyalty or constancy only when it was convenient and jettisoning it when it wasn't or wouldn't pay. I like how Guy continues with his shady ways and can imagine him still angling for the win as he applies his Silly Putty morals to new schemes. ( )
  Bookmarque | Jul 31, 2015 |
My fourth Goddard book. This one has a lot of the strengths typical of Goddard--fairly well written, compelling though flawed protagonist, intriguing setup--but the conspiracy at the heart of it is just too big and far-fetched; and much of the action is cliche cinematic. ( )
  ehines | Jun 24, 2012 |
I found this book bogged me down with too much detail which tended to slow the book down. ( )
  Dessss | Apr 14, 2009 |
Set in the early part of the 20th century, mainly on a ship, it features two con artists who try to scam a fortune out of a beautiful young heiress. They soon find themselves way out of their depth, suddenly in the middle of events they don't understand, a typical Goddard scenario. ( )
1 vote edwardsgt | Aug 4, 2007 |
My least favorite. Maybe I'll read it again. ( )
  picardyrose | Mar 2, 2007 |
Chance had been our ally too often.
Letchworth on a Saturday night exuded its normal level of gaiety: approximately that of a Welsh village on the Sabbath. ... I had reached Letchworth, the bastion of temperance.
I took a taxi to Hatfield and caught the next train to Letchworth. The afternoon was hot and Letchworth was at its most stultifyingly placid, the Garden City in full and earnest leaf.

Targeting the beautiful daughter of a wealthy munitions dealer in the hopes of receiving a payoff from her father, scam artists Guy Horton and Max Wingate find their plan upset when Max really falls in love. Reprint.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:15:01 -0400)

Two con men try to become engaged to an heiress, but when her father turns up dead one of the men becomes the prime suspect.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 98,498,341 books! | Top bar: Always visible