The Castle in the Attic by Elizabeth…

The Castle in the Attic (1985)

by Elizabeth Winthrop

Other authors: Trina Schart Hyman (Illustrator)

Series: The Castle in the Attic (1)

This is great! The author has a great, wide, and creative imagination that will surely love the readers. This will be good to read in front of the children and surely love the story. Who could have taught that there is a castle in the attic? Try to read this book too so you’ll be bring fantasy world. ( )
  CristinaAllen | Mar 28, 2016 |
I wanted a magic castle so, so much. ( )
  wealhtheowwylfing | Feb 29, 2016 |
My almost 9-year-old son and I read this together, a chapter or two a night. He can't believe this book hasn't received some kind of award--he's enjoying it much more than Indian in the Cupboard, even though it's the same concept. A perfect adventure story for this age group, especially if the child is interested in knights & chivalry. Enough technical castle terminology to make him feel smart :), and enough symbolism, foreshadowing, character growth, etc. to ponder for his English-teacher mother to approve.

engpunk77 | Aug 10, 2015 |
What ages would I recommend it too? – Five and up.

Length? – An afternoon.

Characters? – Memorable, several characters.

Setting? – Real World and Fantasy.

Written approximately? – 1985.

Does the story leave questions in the readers mind? – Ready to read more. At the end, a scene is referenced that did not occur in the book. Almost 4/5 of the book was the set up. The actual story was over in just a few pages.

Any issues the author (or a more recent publisher) should cover? No.

Short storyline: A boy tries to figure out how to keep his nanny from leaving.

Notes for the reader: The boy meets his challenges, though he doesn't have much real difficulty. Along the way, adults provide him with the solutions before he even tries to meet the goal. ( )
  AprilBrown | Feb 25, 2015 |
I finally found this book and finished it! My 3rd grade teacher started reading this aloud for the last week of school and we got out of school for the summer before we finished! It has literally been driving me crazy since then. It was a pretty good book, I think I hyped it up a little in my head over the years, but I enjoyed it. Would recommend it to any grade school kids. ( )
  AngelaRenea | May 12, 2014 |

Elizabeth Winthropprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Hyman, Trina SchartIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Lee, Jody A.Cover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Papp, RobertCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Every piece of writing . . . starts from what I call a grit . . . a sight of sound, a sentence or a happening that does not pass away . . . but quite inexplicably lodges in the mind.
                                                                                                           Rumer Godden
For Andrew, who has dared to cross the drawbridge
On Monday afternoon, Mrs. Phillips was waiting for William at the kitchen door.
"Be compassionate to the needy. Neither squander wealth nor hoard it. Never lose your sense of shame. If questions are asked of you, answer them frankly but do not ask too many yourself. Be manly and of good cheer. Never kill a foe who is begging for mercy.... Be ever loyal in love."
A truly courageous person is one who must conquer fear within himself.

One of the classic fantastical adventures of all time!

William has just received the best present of his life—an old, real-looking stone and wooden model of a castle, with a drawbridge, a moat, and a fingerhigh knight to guard the gates. It’s the mysterious castle his housekeeper has told him about, and even though William is sad she’s leaving, now the castle is his! William can’t wait to play with the castle—he’s certain there’s something magical about it. And sure enough, when he picks up the tiny silver knight, it comes alive in his hand! Sir Simon tells William a mighty story of wild sorcery, wizards, and magic. And suddenly William is off on a fantastic quest to another land and another time—where a fiery dragon and an evil wizard are waiting to do battle. . . .

An IRA-CBC Children’s Choice
A California Young Reader Medal Winner
A Dorothy Canfield Fisher Children’s Book Award Winner

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:23:34 -0400)

A gift of a toy castle, complete with silver knight, introduces William to an adventure involving magic and a personal quest.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,884,380 books! | Top bar: Always visible