The Castle in the Attic by Elizabeth…

The Castle in the Attic (1985)

by Elizabeth Winthrop

Other authors: Trina Schart Hyman (Illustrator), Robert Papp (Cover artist)

Series: The Castle in the Attic (1)

I finally found this book and finished it! My 3rd grade teacher started reading this aloud for the last week of school and we got out of school for the summer before we finished! It has literally been driving me crazy since then. It was a pretty good book, I think I hyped it up a little in my head over the years, but I enjoyed it. Would recommend it to any grade school kids. ( )
  AngelaRenea | May 12, 2014 |
A Castle in the Attic has been one of my favorites since I was little. It has enough adventure with knights and sorcerers to hold a younger child's attention. This is definitely not like Harry Potter or Septimus Heap. It does have lots of good things about chivalry and doing the right thing. The vocabulary is a little tough with all the stuff to deal with the medieval age. ( )
  miakabella | Jun 5, 2013 |
A lovely tale about a boy who inherits a Castle from his nanny and then finds that the lead knight is real. He's only 9 and his nanny is about to leave him when he shrinks her to the size of the castle and then realises that really, he shouldn't have done that, in order to restore the knight and nanny he too has to shrink and approach the world the knight came from and defeat evil.

I found it a charming story, with occasional stutters where it didn't bridge between scenes as well as it could have, but a fun story. ( )
  wyvernfriend | Jul 4, 2012 |
Rating=10/10. This book was the first of the series and GREAT. The beginning and middle and end was awesome. The magical castle and new world was GREAT. Read this book!! :)
it was a good book
Review by: Jodee

This is a fun and exciting book. I recommend it for kids under 11 ( )
  bplteen | Apr 16, 2012 |
Read this with Randy when he was a kid. He loved it and I enjoyed it even as an adult. ( )
  ChrissyLou | Dec 28, 2011 |

Elizabeth Winthropprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Hyman, Trina SchartIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Papp, RobertCover artistsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Every piece of writing . . . starts from what I call a grit . . . a sight of sound, a sentence or a happening that does not pass away . . . but quite inexplicably lodges in the mind.
                                                                                                           Rumer Godden
For Andrew, who has dared to cross the drawbridge
On Monday afternoon, Mrs. Phillips was waiting for William at the kitchen door.
"Be compassionate to the needy. Neither squander wealth nor hoard it. Never lose your sense of shame. If questions are asked of you, answer them frankly but do not ask too many yourself. Be manly and of good cheer. Never kill a foe who is begging for mercy.... Be ever loyal in love."
A truly courageous person is one who must conquer fear within himself.

One of the classic fantastical adventures of all time!

William has just received the best present of his life—an old, real-looking stone and wooden model of a castle, with a drawbridge, a moat, and a fingerhigh knight to guard the gates. It’s the mysterious castle his housekeeper has told him about, and even though William is sad she’s leaving, now the castle is his! William can’t wait to play with the castle—he’s certain there’s something magical about it. And sure enough, when he picks up the tiny silver knight, it comes alive in his hand! Sir Simon tells William a mighty story of wild sorcery, wizards, and magic. And suddenly William is off on a fantastic quest to another land and another time—where a fiery dragon and an evil wizard are waiting to do battle. . . .

An IRA-CBC Children’s Choice
A California Young Reader Medal Winner
A Dorothy Canfield Fisher Children’s Book Award Winner

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 14:01:00 -0400)

A gift of a toy castle, complete with silver knight, introduces William to an adventure involving magic and a personal quest.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,029,539 books! | Top bar: Always visible