The Seven Songs of Merlin by T.A. Barron

The Seven Songs of Merlin (1997)

by T.A. Barron

Recently added bySilverssheen, private library, Rosalie1998, vivirielle, onodsle

Even though the first book in this series can easily stand alone, I decided to read this next book because I enjoyed the previous. I am glad I read The Seven Songs of Merlin because it was a great read and it was exciting to see Merlin grow more into the wizard he will become.

I really enjoyed the plot of this novel. The plot was very interesting and moved along at a great place. Since Merlin only has a certain amount of time to save his mother, the book moves fairly fast providing the reader with a sense of urgency. Even though the plot moved along quickly I didn’t feel that it was too rushed. I loved how Merlin had to go around finding the souls of the seven songs. It was like a scavenger hunt! He learns a lot about life and himself while doing so. Also, this is where we find out how Merlin gets Excalibur! Did i mention the twist in the book is so very exciting! Though I sort of knew it was coming since there are some clues throughout the novel. Overall, it was a very exciting plot, never boring for me, and also emotional at times! Almost cried!

There was plenty of detail provided throughout the novel to give you a good description of the people Merlin meets, as well as the places he travels. I never noticed it being overly detailed, which was good. There was just enough for me!

I really enjoyed reading about Merlin more in this novel than in the previous book, probably because he is developing more as a character. The one thing that bothered me throughout the story was that he was very ignorant and arrogant. After being given several warnings about not completing a task, he doesn’t finish it anyway, which leads to some consequences. Later, he is given warnings again, but doesn’t listen to them and does what he wants to. This leads to more consequences. It feels like Merlin never learns from his mistakes. I can sort of understand this because he is so young and really wants his mother back, so he does what he has to. I just felt that after so many mistakes in this book he could have decided to follow someone’s advice at least once. Merlin is just so arrogant in this novel that it is a bit annoying; however, he gets a little better at the end of the book. Despite this flaw in Merlin, he is developing more into the wizard he will become, since he is learning more about what it means to be a wizard, as well as learning to control some of his powers.

I loved seeing Rhia again in this book. She is so lively! The character that I did not enjoy very much was Bumbelwy who is a jester who is unable to make anyone laugh. I didn’t notice much of a personality to Bumbelwy, he was annoying, and it felt as if the author was just trying to come up with someone who can tag along with Merlin and Rhia, but couldn’t quite create a character as good as Shim. Even Merlin and Rhia didn’t want him tagging along. Bumbelwy just didn’t serve as big of a purpose as Shim did in the previous book.

Overall, I really enjoyed this book and am looking forward to reading all the others. I think this is a great series for anyone who loves fantasy, the legend of Arthur, or is 8 or older!

AshleyMiller | Sep 10, 2014 |
This story is about when Merlin is still on his quest to restore Finarica but obstacles stand in his way. Like when his past threatens him to return home. Time will tell in Merlin the Seven Songs. I really recommend this book to fans of fantasy and adventure stories. This book was not really what I expected it to be because there wasn't really much action in it. ( )
  Zacswic | Feb 27, 2012 |
The seven songs of Merlin
T.A.Barron

I predict the end to have a big war. In this war Merlin with get hurt very badly.He will get hurt unexpectedly and will have to tell the others what to do. He will face near death and almost lose his life. He will then end the war with the little power he has left. This will end in a lot of death. He will live but in agony. He will find love. Merlin will keep doing as he did in the start. Saving forest and woods.He will have a child with his love. This child will be like him .Soon as the son gets older Merlin will die. This will make the son enraged and become evil and destroy every thing and everyone
  nklapchar | Oct 6, 2010 |
Again, enjoyed the series, and it was pretty interesting at the time, but again, not fantastic. ( )
  DF5B_RobertS | Sep 15, 2009 |
A cluster of shadows more dark than the night, the circle of stones stood erect on the ridge.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0441007015, Mass Market Paperback)

Merlin's mother has fallen ill. To save her, he must learn the Seven Songs of Wisdom, which will enable him to journey into the spiritual Otherworld and obtain the elixir he needs. But first Merlin's growing power will be put to the test when he has to defeat a vile ogre whose merest glance means death...

"Full of action and excitement...while its origins are epic, it is foremost a tale of the heart...it is Merlin's inner journey that readers will cherish above all: His development is convincing and heartwarming. A rich and resonant read."-- Kirkus Reviews

"Filled with harrowing escapades and many surprises....A delightfully original story of magic and myth."-- School Library Journal

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:28:14 -0400)

Having stumbled upon his hidden powers, the young wizard Merlin voyages to the Otherworld in his quest to find himself and the way to the realm of the spirit.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 97,146,269 books! | Top bar: Always visible