Dancing Backwards by Salley Vickers

Dancing Backwards (2009)

by Salley Vickers

Recently added bycarinafasth, Teresa40, CDVicarage, private library, bibliaugrapher, diana.n, RobDW, fran13

I found this pretty enjoyable. The cruise storyline was nice, but I really found the sections of Vi’s past with Edwin and Bruno to be very fascinating. The ending was alright but I found myself wanting more. Which I suppose just demonstrates Vickers’ amazing writing. ( )
  adrateia | Mar 1, 2012 |
I really enjoyed this. It was just the kind of calm, but potentially deep book I was in the mood for. I'm particularly intrigued with the way Vickers employs metaphor of dancing backwards (and in high heels ala Ginger Rogers) to depict the life of a woman who always lets men (or really anyone) take the lead. This tendency, which could easily be described as extreme passivity, causes her more difficulty than a more active approach to life would.

Complete review at Shelf Love. ( )
  teresakayep | Sep 23, 2011 |
Another highly enjoyable book by Salley Vickers. Her writing has such a light, almost cosy, touch yet amidst the ordinary things of life and love she deals with hugely complex issues. She writes as someone who is philosophically and theologically aware and there is always a feeling of great hope shining through. I suppose for this book in particular the gentle epiphany for the main character is the (re-)discovery of the importance of grace and mercy in her life. ( )
  NeilDalley | Apr 24, 2010 |
The story of Violet Hetherington who joins a cruise ship to America to meet again with Edwin and try to repair a friendship she felt was lost , and led to her seeking safety in a life of marriage and domesticity and giving up on a possible career as a poet. Along side the current story of the realationships on board ship is the story of the events leading up to her break with Edwin. A good read. ( )
  kiwifortyniner | Apr 21, 2010 |
A beautifully written, gentle novel telling the story of Violet, as she travels from London to New York by cruise ship. This is interleaved with a series of retellings of memory, that let us see how her character has developed and how she has been affected by her significant others. ( )
  CarltonC | Apr 15, 2010 |
Vickers' sixth novel, though uneven, offers satisfying reflections on memory, loss, and love.
added by bell7 | editBooklist, Heather Paulson

"What on earth have I done?" Violet Hetherington asked herself.

Nice 'N' Easy is the latest novel from the bestselling author of Miss Garnet's Angel and Instances of the Number Three. Vickers uncovers the poetry of self-discovery and the possibilities of change for us all.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,712,229 books! | Top bar: Always visible