Indiscretion by Jude Morgan

by Jude Morgan

Member:athena33
Title:Indiscretion
Authors:Jude Morgan
Info:New York : St. Martin's Press, 2006.
Rating:*****

Indiscretion by Jude Morgan

For a while I thought I was reading the kind of book that's well-written but has no real action. Then about halfway in things got real in a hurry. I don't mean to call the book a thriller; for me, though, it was a real pleaser. One feels the echoes of Austen, but the effect is very different. Pitch-perfect writing, and what a sweet last line.

My first book by Morgan, but I'll be seeking out more of his work in the future. Taste of Sorrow: expect me. ( )
  thatotter | Feb 6, 2014 |
Jude Morgan's Austenesque novel started well enough, with a wryly cynical heroine fallen on hard times, but the plot was slow to develop and the characters never really came to life for me. Yes, Jane Austen's stories - most particularly Emma, my favourite - are usually only limited in scope to 'white frocks and weddings', or the trivial romantic concerns of a few gentlefolk, but then her narratives are also packed to the brim with humour and sly social commentary. Morgan attempts this same approach - 'Lord what fools these mortals can be. Men most of all; and of all men, soldiers. Dice, wine, and trollops is all they are good for' - but what he matches in style, he misses in substance. The dialogue sounds very Regency, but his characters never have anything of consequence to say.

Caroline is perhaps meant to be a worldly Mary Crawford type, but comes across more like one of the goodly heroines of novels like Evelina, which Austen liked to mock. Stephen Milner is a Henry Tilney knock-off, Richard Leabrook and Charles Carraway are Cads with a capital 'C' in the time honoured style of Wickham and Willoughby, and Mrs Catling is a middle class Lady Catherine de Bourgh. All are recognisable from Austen's novels, down to the romantic entanglements, but more in the style of Georgette Heyer than the original author, I'm afraid. The story is a jumble of Emma, Pride and Prejudice, Northanger Abbey and Mansfield Park, with a dash of Burney thrown in for good measure.

Perhaps I just wasn't in the right mood, but Jude Morgan's ode to Austen simply failed to inspire. The first part, with Caroline going to work for the irascible Mrs Catling, was intriguing and well written, although I was already wondering where the story was leading, but the country house shenanigans were hardly worth waiting for and the ending was rushed. I might give another of Jude Morgan's novels a try at a later date - after choosing this title on the strength of the many positive reviews received - but then rereading Austen might be a safer bet. ( )
  AdonisGuilfoyle | Jun 24, 2012 |
I loved this! Almost as good as Georgette Heyer with a lot more sauciness mixed in. I wish Morgan would write more Regencies; he's got a wonderful knack for the characters and is extremely funny.
  celiafrances | Mar 9, 2012 |
Oh my! Who'd have thought that the first really successful modern-day attempt at a regency novel would be written by a guy? Austen and Heyer would applaud.

The plot is not that surprising though is fun to follow along. The characters are well-drawn: There's the proper balance of fluttering, eccentricity, and drollness. But the dialogue, oh the dialogue -- utterly delicious. I wish my mother was still around so that I could share this with her. She'd have loved it.

One funny aside -- I was given this book by my sister-in-law, who brought it with her from India. My husband, on seeing the book lying on the bed waiting to be started, muttered that it violated one of his cardinal rules of books, so he could never read it. "It's not chick lit," I told him, "more regency." "But I have a rule to never read anything by an author with the first name of Jude", he replied. Hmm...I think maybe he's seen me hurl one too many books by Jude Deveraux across the room. She wrote one book I liked, and all the rest have been a frustration, but I keep hoping, because of the one I liked. This Jude won't get thrown at a wall in my home. ( )
  bookczuk | Nov 11, 2011 |
What an enchanting reading!
This is a good choice for those who love Victorian novels, and even more because of its easy prose and its witty dialogues which keep you turning pare after page and with a smile playing on your lips at the end of each chapter.
The heroine, Miss Fortune (yes, that subtle irony...), coming from a doubtful background, is a smart and strong-minded but flirtatious girl who has to make her own way in Society leaving some of her acquaintances with their mouths open with her sincere ways.
Stephen, not the shinning knight we are used to in Austen's novels, is an intelligent but not obliging character who exasperates Miss Fortune with his jesting, who, at the same time, captivates the reader at once. The dialogues between those two are utterly brilliant.
The other characters help to create a complete and believable picture of the Victorian era, providing the reader with high entertainment of such quality only comparable to that of Austen's, Du Maurier's or the Brontës'.
I can't praise this book enough, specially the second half, which had me completely hooked, and remember the declaration of the last pages which left such a sweet taste on my mouth that I'm sure it'll be some time until I have so much genially fun.
I'll be definitely reading more by this author! ( )
  Luli81 | Apr 10, 2011 |

When Caroline Fortune's prodigal father loses all they possess, he arranges for his daughter to become the companion of the formidable (but extremely wealthy and childless) Mrs Catling. Although uncomfortable with the plan Caroline resolves to make the most of this introduction to polite society, and her beauty and intelligence soon attract many admirers. But, much to her dismay, she is just as quick to realise that love and romance are not what some gentlemen seek and finds herself unjustly implicated in their indiscretions.

Exasperated by her predicament can Miss Fortune retain her reputation without losing her head? And will she discover that there is at least one good man who is more than willing to take her side and, indeed, her fancy?

When your father is a man of expensive tastes and schemes but very little money, you soon learn to make do. So when Captain Fortune, a well-meaning but profligate ex-soldier in Regency England, tells his daughter Caroline that they are ruined, she automatically starts seeking employment as a governess. Her father, however, has far grander designs for Miss Fortune.…
Caro is to become the companion of Mrs. Catling, the rich, fierce widow of her father's old colonel. As Mrs. Catling amuses herself by tormenting her relatives and servants, Caro resolves to make the best of the situation, and soon her beauty and intelligence attract the attentions of male admirers.
Surrounded by people with an alarming readiness to reveal each other's confidences, Caroline is exasperated to find herself implicated in their indiscretions. But will Miss Fortune be able to avoid losing her reputation without losing her head? And will she find at least one good man amongst the genteel set who will take her side, and, indeed, her fancy?

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:20:22 -0400)

When her profligate father loses his fortune, Caroline agrees with his scheme to set her up as the companion of a wealthy and powerful society matron and use her beauty and intelligence to attract the attentions of Regency society's most eligible men.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,257,650 books! | Top bar: Always visible