dismiss

Are We Living in the End Times? (1999)

by Tim LaHaye, Jerry B. Jenkins

In the updated and expanded edition of this classic title, noted scholar Dr. Tim LaHaye gives reasons for believing that the Rapture and the Tribulation could occur during our generation. Ours is the first generation that has the technology and opportunity to fulfill many of the prophecies of Revelation. Understanding prophecy can be difficult and confusing. This book takes away all of the mystery--and the intimidation. It is user-friendly for the layperson, yet remarkably complete for the scholar.… (more)

I could not believe how horrible this book was. Only read it to answer questions asked during the Left Behind craze. ( )
  ShaneBX | Feb 4, 2020 |
I think that I would have enjoyed this book far more if I had been reading the updated version. The version that I read was from 1999. This means that it did not include 9/11 and also had predictions that have already past (they weren't specific predictions but they did mention that they thought it would occur by a certain time). It was very interesting and informative. I didn't finish it because I was having a hard time with some of the comments about everything in prophecy being so obvious. I don't think it is obvious or there wouldn't be so many prophecy scholars who are so torn about the knowledge. But it was interesting to see where their ideas come from and their Biblical basis for the ideas. It has prepared me to FINALLY start reading the Left Behind series. ( )
  adaynasmile | Oct 21, 2013 |
Every time I read a book by Tim LaHaye and Jerry B. Jenkins, I learn something new. Based on their best~selling Left Behind series, Are We Living in the End Times is a three~part book that examines today’s culture to determine if we are the generation who will see Christ’s return. The second part of the book takes a step~by~step look at what will happen to those who are left behind after the Rapture and the last section examines the personalities who will shape end time events.

After discussing what the Rapture means to and for Christians, the authors go on to explain in great detail the horrors those who’re left behind will suffer. This period, known as the tribulation, will be a seven year series of climate, economic and physical trials that will befall the unrepentant. The authors go to great extremes to explain that these trials aren’t meant as punishment but as a last ditch attempt by God to persuade them to come to the truth of His love before it’s too late.

While the book relies on the Left Behind series for jumping off points, I like that the authors use the Bible, the words of prophecy experts such as John Walvoord and examples from current events to support their theory that we are, in deed, living in the end times. Some of the events that they discuss that point to this being the end times are:

*apostasy within the church (think Chrislam)
*increased interest in the occult
*deaths from diseases thought to have been irradicated, famine and warfare

I’d recommend this book for anyone who has an interest in biblical prophecy or end times studies. Whether you’re new to the topic or have studied the subject extensively, I think you’ll find this book informative, thought~provoking and useful. And, hopefully, it will make you consider your relationship with the lord. ( )
  curiouschild | Oct 4, 2011 |

Tim LaHayeprimary authorall editionscalculated
Jenkins, Jerry B.main authorall editionsconfirmed

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 147,865,403 books! | Top bar: Always visible