What the Dog Saw: And Other Adventures by…

What the Dog Saw: And Other Adventures (original 2009; edition 2009)

by Malcolm Gladwell

Title:What the Dog Saw: And Other Adventures
Authors:Malcolm Gladwell
Info:Little, Brown and Company (2009), Edition: 1, Hardcover, 410 pages
Collections:Read but unowned

What the Dog Saw: And Other Adventures by Malcolm Gladwell (2009)

Eating the dinosaur by Chuck Klosterman (sanddancer)
    The Full Facts Book of Cold Reading: A Comprehensive Guide to the Most Persuasive Psychological Manipulation Technique in the World by Ian Rowland (Anonymous user)
    Anonymous user: If you've read Cold Reading or What the Dog Saw, you're likely to be interested in human nature and how people affect other people. Both reveal stunning insights in both these domains.

English (92)  Dutch (1)  Finnish (1)  All languages (94)
Gladwell covers a lot of topics including the sense of presence, investment and Wall Street, Enron and corruption, mysteries and puzzles. Most articles are very interesting and gives a different look to the topics. ( )
  addunn3 | Aug 25, 2015 |
All of the essays in this collection were previously published in the New Yorker and were selected by the author for inclusion in this work. The essays are grouped into three categories: “Obsessives, Pioneers, and Other Varieties of Minor Genius “, “Theories, Predictions, and Diagnoses “, and “Personality, Character, and Intelligence “.

The essays in section one are interesting and entertaining, but if you've already read them in the New Yorker there's probably no need to read them again. The content of section three is applicable to business and management, and should be on the reading list of executives and human resource managers.

The essays in the middle section stand out as paradigm-shifting insights and observations on social problems such as homelessness, information overload, plagiarism and the theft of intellectual property, and the risks inherent in a technological society. Most of these issues have become so politicized that it is difficult to discuss them without finger-pointing and name-calling. Gladwell offers fresh perspectives on these issues in a way that will appeal to many on either end of the political spectrum as well as anywhere in between. If more politicians and bureaucrats were capable of analyzing issues in this manner there might be real progress in reducing such problems. Highly recommended. ( )
1 vote cbl_tn | Aug 24, 2015 |
Brilliant, undoubtedly clever, but I'm over it. After scientists got into the act with books like 'Cod' and 'Longitude' now we have an endless array of 'popular' economists analysing everyday life and milking the book buying public for every spare dollar. You get the sense that you're reading a franchise rather than a book. Read this by all means, but I suggest that you (like I) wait for this to appear on the shelves of your local charity shop.
  nandadevi | Jul 22, 2015 |
The chapters in this book are hit or miss, which is a completely subjective opinion. What is not subjective, and what I hold true, is that IMHO, Gladwell is this generation's greatest explainer, clarifier and insight finder. Incidentally, I got this book signed by the author in person, which was quite a treat.
  MartinBodek | Jun 11, 2015 |
I think I've now read all the books published under Gladwell's name, at least his best sellers. What the Dog Saw: And Other Adventures is a collection of Gladwell essays written for the The New Yorker. They are wide-ranging and you can see how some of them relate to Gladwell's books.

If you are interested in:
How we consider genius, and how some geniuses might be "late bloomers"
Whether the birth control pill might cause more physical harm than societal good
Cost/benefits of mammograms
Why we might not want the CIA and FBI to work together on terrorism
Why there are dozens of brands of mustard but not ketchup
Dog whispering
Management and management consultants-- what they get wrong and right
Nassim Taleb's strategies
JFK junior's fatal plane crash
Criminal profilers
Smarter, cheaper ways to deal with the problem of homelessness

and various other potpourri, you will enjoy reading this compilation. It's Gladwell at his best, threading seemingly unrelated issues together using research from economists, psychologists, and sociologists.

Some things that affected how I think:
Why is it we put more trust in pictures, the sense of sight, than in other senses--like touch (this is in the mammogram chapter-- relate WWII bombing to mammograms)?

A puzzle is a situation where we lack information. A mystery is where we have the information but it has to be put together. Enron was a mystery, not a puzzle. Their financial statements and shell-game accounting arrangements were public information but it was years until anyone bothered to check it out. What problems do I face that are mysteries but I'm treating like puzzles, or vice-versa?

Every great artist had to have a patron, someone to support her during years of of work. Some of the great writers and composers had spent decades writing before they were "good" or noticed. These all had to have a patron behind them.

You can learn a lot from Gladwell's research. This book isn't deep but it's very wide. I give it 4 stars out of 5. ( )
  justindtapp | Jun 3, 2015 |
The themes of the collection are a good way to characterize Gladwell himself: a minor genius who unwittingly demonstrates the hazards of statistical reasoning and who occasionally blunders into spectacular failures.
This book full of short conversation pieces is a collection that plays to the author’s strengths. It underscores his way of finding suitably quirky subjects (the history of women’s hair-dye advertisements; the secret of Heinz’s unbeatable ketchup; even the effects of women’s changing career patterns on the number of menstrual periods they experience in their lifetimes) and using each as gateway to some larger meaning. It illustrates how often he sets up one premise (i.e. that crime profiling helps track down serial killers) only to destroy it.
Gladwell has divided his book into three sections. The first deals with what he calls obsessives and minor geniuses; the second with flawed ways of thinking. The third focuses on how we make predictions about people: will they make a good employee, are they capable of great works of art, or are they the local serial killer?
For Henry and David
When I was a small child, I used to sneak into my father's study and leaf through the papers on his desk.

PART ONE - Obsessives, Pioneers, and Other Varieties of Minor Genius
*The Pitchman - Ron Popeil and the conquest of the American kitchen. (Oct 30, 2000)
*The Ketchup Conundrum - Mustard now comes in dozens of different varieties. Why has ketchup stayed the same? (Sept 6, 2004)
*Blowing Up - How Nassim Taleb turned the inevitability of disaster into an investment strategy. (Apr 22, 2002)

*True Colors - Hair dye and the hidden history of postwar America. (Mar 22, 1999)
*John Rock's Error - What the inventor of the birth control pill didn't know about women's health. (Mar 13, 2000)
*What the Dog Saw - Cesar Millan and the movements of mastery. (May 22, 2006)

PART TWO - Theories, Predictions, and Diagnoses
*Open Secrets - Enron, intelligence and the perils of too much information. (Jan 8, 2007)
*Million Dollar Murray - Why problems like homelessness may be easier to solve than to manage. (Feb 13, 2006)
*The Picture Problem - Mammography, air power, and the limits of looking. (Dec 13, 2004)
*Something Borrowed - Should a charge of plagiarism ruin your life? (Nov 22, 2004)
*Connecting the Dots - The paradoxes of intelligence reform. (Mar 10, 2003)
*The Art of Failure - Why some people choke and others panic. (August 21, 2000)
*Blowup - Who can be blamed for a disaster like the Challenger explosion? No one, and we'd better get used to it. (Jan 22, 1996)

PART THREE - Personality, Character, and Intelligence
*Most Likely to Succeed - How do we hire when we can't tell who's right for the job. (Dec 15, 2008)
*Dangerous Minds - Criminal profiling made easy. (Nov 12, 2007)
*The Talent Myth - Are smart people over-rated? (Jul 22, 2002)
*Late Bloomers - Why do we equate genius with precocity? (Oct 20, 2008)
*The New Boy Network - What do job interviews really tell us? (May 29, 2000)
*Troublemakers - What pit bulls can teach us about crime. (Feb 6, 2006)

What is the difference between choking and panicking? Why are there dozens of varieties of mustard-but only one variety of ketchup? What do football players teach us about how to hire teachers? What does hair dye tell us about the history of the 20th century?

In the past decade, Malcolm Gladwell has written three books that have radically changed how we understand our world and ourselves: The Tipping Point; Blink; and Outliers. Now, in What the Dog Saw, he brings together, for the first time, the best of his writing from The New Yorker over the same period.

Here is the bittersweet tale of the inventor of the birth control pill, and the dazzling inventions of the pasta sauce pioneer Howard Moscowitz. Gladwell sits with Ron Popeil, the king of the American kitchen, as he sells rotisserie ovens, and divines the secrets of Cesar Millan, the "dog whisperer" who can calm savage animals with the touch of his hand. He explores intelligence tests and ethnic profiling and "hindsight bias" and why it was that everyone in Silicon Valley once tripped over themselves to hire the same college graduate.

"Good writing," Gladwell says in his preface, "does not succeed or fail on the strength of its ability to persuade. It succeeds or fails on the strength of its ability to engage you, to make you think, to give you a glimpse into someone else's head." What the Dog Saw is yet another example of the buoyant spirit and unflagging curiosity that have made Malcolm Gladwell our most brilliant investigator of the hidden extraordinary.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:23:54 -0400)

Brings together, for the first time, the best of Gladwell's writing from "The""New Yorker" in the past decade, including: the bittersweet tale of the inventor of the birth control pill; the dazzling inventions of the pasta sauce pioneer Howard Moscowitz; spotlighting Ron Popeil, the king of the American kitchen; and the secrets of Cesar Millan, the "dog whisperer." Gladwell also explores intelligence tests, ethnic profiling and "hindsight bias," and why it was that everyone in Silicon Valley once tripped over themselves to hire the same college graduate.… (more)

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,851,418 books! | Top bar: Always visible