What the Dog Saw by Malcolm

Member:Trygvek
Title:What the Dog Saw
Authors:Malcolm
Info:Publisher Unknown

What the Dog Saw: And Other Adventures by Malcolm Gladwell (2009)

Eating the dinosaur by Chuck Klosterman (sanddancer)
    The Full Facts Book of Cold Reading: A Comprehensive Guide to the Most Persuasive Psychological Manipulation Technique in the World by Ian Rowland (Anonymous user)
    Anonymous user: If you've read Cold Reading or What the Dog Saw, you're likely to be interested in human nature and how people affect other people. Both reveal stunning insights in both these domains.

English (80)  Dutch (1)  Finnish (1)  All languages (82)
I was eager to read this book as I find Gladwell an interesting, thought-provoking writer. This book was no disappointment; I wish he wrote for a British newspaper. ( )
  martensgirl | Feb 13, 2014 |
essays from New Yorker and other magazines. His usual thought provoking stuff. Good. I liked Blink and Tipping Point the best. Many of these I had tracked down in the New Yorker. Fun to talk about. ( )
  njcur | Feb 13, 2014 |
The collection of essays originally published in The New Yorker. There are some bit boring and weaker between them but in general they asking such interesting questions as Can too much information cause problem? Is someone responsible for the Challenger catastrophe? Is the work of FBI profilers useful at all? Why there is only one kind of ketchup? ( )
  TheCrow2 | Feb 4, 2014 |
What The Dog Saw is a collection of articles Gladwell wrote for the New York over the last 14 years or so. In this way, each chapter jumps around to a different topic and most of them are quite fascinating. I found myself engaged in one topic, emailing a friend to read it themselves and then jumping to a totally different topic and passing the new article on to someone else.
As in the past, I'm very impressed by Gladwell's style of writing. He makes the must mundane topics seem extremely interesting.
A couple of the articles are somewhat political in nature. He does one about how it is quite unreasonable to expect that anyone could have "connected the dots" to stop 9/11 before it happened. Another about Enron makes you feel sorry for the guys and maybe they hadn't done anything wrong. There are a couple of moments in reading that I felt he might have been ignoring other evidence and heading toward a point he'd already decided on, which has been the a critique of the anti-Gladwell camp that exists from his previous books.

I really enjoyed the book though, and I'm looking forward to others. I love reading about the studies, the research, the new theories and ideas. ( )
  ariahfine | Jan 21, 2014 |
Again Gladwell takes topics from the news and turns them around so we look at them from a new perspective. Take the banning Pit Bulls for example. Maybe it is not the dog's breed that is the problem but rather maybe we should consider banning bad dog owners. Or is there another way to manage the homeless problem? And who should be blamed for the Challenger disaster? Maybe the risk of space flight is just part of the package. Fascinating read although not as riveting as some of his other titles. ( )
  lamour | Nov 26, 2013 |
The themes of the collection are a good way to characterize Gladwell himself: a minor genius who unwittingly demonstrates the hazards of statistical reasoning and who occasionally blunders into spectacular failures.

This book full of short conversation pieces is a collection that plays to the author’s strengths. It underscores his way of finding suitably quirky subjects (the history of women’s hair-dye advertisements; the secret of Heinz’s unbeatable ketchup; even the effects of women’s changing career patterns on the number of menstrual periods they experience in their lifetimes) and using each as gateway to some larger meaning. It illustrates how often he sets up one premise (i.e. that crime profiling helps track down serial killers) only to destroy it.

Gladwell has divided his book into three sections. The first deals with what he calls obsessives and minor geniuses; the second with flawed ways of thinking. The third focuses on how we make predictions about people: will they make a good employee, are they capable of great works of art, or are they the local serial killer?

For Henry and David
When I was a small child, I used to sneak into my father's study and leaf through the papers on his desk.

A collection of articles – essays, really – on topics ranging from the serious (what really happened at Enron; what have we learned from the Challenger disaster) to the seemingly frivolous (the history of hair-dye advertising), all told with Gladwell's characteristic skill at weaving together the threads that make up the real story.

What is the difference between choking and panicking? Why are there dozens of varieties of mustard-but only one variety of ketchup? What do football players teach us about how to hire teachers? What does hair dye tell us about the history of the 20th century?

In the past decade, Malcolm Gladwell has written three books that have radically changed how we understand our world and ourselves: The Tipping Point; Blink; and Outliers. Now, in What the Dog Saw, he brings together, for the first time, the best of his writing from The New Yorker over the same period.

Here is the bittersweet tale of the inventor of the birth control pill, and the dazzling inventions of the pasta sauce pioneer Howard Moscowitz. Gladwell sits with Ron Popeil, the king of the American kitchen, as he sells rotisserie ovens, and divines the secrets of Cesar Millan, the "dog whisperer" who can calm savage animals with the touch of his hand. He explores intelligence tests and ethnic profiling and "hindsight bias" and why it was that everyone in Silicon Valley once tripped over themselves to hire the same college graduate.

"Good writing," Gladwell says in his preface, "does not succeed or fail on the strength of its ability to persuade. It succeeds or fails on the strength of its ability to engage you, to make you think, to give you a glimpse into someone else's head." What the Dog Saw is yet another example of the buoyant spirit and unflagging curiosity that have made Malcolm Gladwell our most brilliant investigator of the hidden extraordinary.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 14:01:49 -0400)

Brings together, for the first time, the best of Gladwell's writing from "The""New Yorker" in the past decade, including: the bittersweet tale of the inventor of the birth control pill; the dazzling inventions of the pasta sauce pioneer Howard Moscowitz; spotlighting Ron Popeil, the king of the American kitchen; and the secrets of Cesar Millan, the "dog whisperer." Gladwell also explores intelligence tests, ethnic profiling and "hindsight bias," and why it was that everyone in Silicon Valley once tripped over themselves to hire the same college graduate.… (more)

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,599,499 books! | Top bar: Always visible