What the Dog Saw by Malcolm

Member:Trygvek
Title:What the Dog Saw
Authors:Malcolm
Info:Publisher Unknown

What the Dog Saw: And Other Adventures by Malcolm Gladwell (2009)

Eating the dinosaur by Chuck Klosterman (sanddancer)
    The Full Facts Book of Cold Reading: A Comprehensive Guide to the Most Persuasive Psychological Manipulation Technique in the World by Ian Rowland (Anonymous user)
    Anonymous user: If you've read Cold Reading or What the Dog Saw, you're likely to be interested in human nature and how people affect other people. Both reveal stunning insights in both these domains.

English (84)  Dutch (1)  Finnish (1)  All languages (86)
This collection of writings by the author was easy to listen to, and every one of the stories was interesting. ( )
  piersanti | Sep 28, 2014 |
It was okay... Maybe better reading it instead of listening to the audio book. Very long but many parts did interest me enough to stay with it. ( )
  yougotamber | Aug 22, 2014 |
Gladwell is a creative thinker, and I like the juxtapositions of content that he manages. He has a dance therapist analyze the movements of the dog whisperer, Cesar Millan in the title essay. Another good one is a discussion of what it takes to be a good teacher. Those on the homeless problem and mammography were particulay thought provoking. I was listening so intently, I missed my exit - TWICE! These are worth reading again. ( )
  2wonderY | Jul 22, 2014 |
PART ONE - Obsessives, Pioneers, and Other Varietief of Minor Genius
*The Pitchman - Ron Popeil and the conquest of the American kitchen. (Oct 30, 2000)
*The Ketchup Conundrum - Mustard now comes in dozens of different varieties. Why has ketchup stayed the same? (Sept 6, 2004)
*Blowing Up - How Nassim Taleb turned the inevitability of disaster into an investment strategy. (Apr 22, 2002)
*True Colors - Hair dye and the hidden history of postwar America. (Mar 22, 1999)
*John Rock's Error - What the inventor of the birth control pill didn't know about women's health. (Mar 13, 2000)
*What the Dog Saw - Cesar Millan and the movements of mastery. (May 22, 2006)
PART TWO - Theories, Predictions, and Diagnoses
*Open Secrets - Enron, intelligence and the perils of too much information. (Jan 8, 2007)
*Million Dollar Murray - Why problems like homelessness may be easier to solve than to manage. (Feb 13, 2006)
*The Picture Problem - Mammography, air power, and the limits of looking. (Dec 13, 2004)
*Something Borrowed - Should a charge of plagiarism ruin your life? (Nov 22, 2004)
*Connecting the Dots - The paradoxes of intelligence reform. (Mar 10, 2003)
*The Art of Failure - Why some people choke and others panic. (August 21, 2000)
*Blowup - Who can be blamed for a disaster like the Challenger explosion? No one, and we'd better get used to it. (Jan 22, 1996)
PART THREE - Personality, Character, and Intelligence
*Most Likely to Succeed - How do we hire when we can't tell who's right for the job. (Dec 15, 2008)
*Dangerous Minds - Criminal profiling made easy. (Nov 12, 2007)
*The Talent Myth - Are smart people over-rated? (Jul 22, 2002)
*Late Bloomers - Why do we equate genius with precocity? (Oct 20, 2008)
*The New Boy Network - What do job interviews really tell us? (May 29, 2000)
*Troublemakers - What pit bulls can teach us about crime. (Feb 6, 2006)
  bmac33 | Jun 7, 2014 |
I was eager to read this book as I find Gladwell an interesting, thought-provoking writer. This book was no disappointment; I wish he wrote for a British newspaper. ( )
  martensgirl | Feb 13, 2014 |
The themes of the collection are a good way to characterize Gladwell himself: a minor genius who unwittingly demonstrates the hazards of statistical reasoning and who occasionally blunders into spectacular failures.

This book full of short conversation pieces is a collection that plays to the author’s strengths. It underscores his way of finding suitably quirky subjects (the history of women’s hair-dye advertisements; the secret of Heinz’s unbeatable ketchup; even the effects of women’s changing career patterns on the number of menstrual periods they experience in their lifetimes) and using each as gateway to some larger meaning. It illustrates how often he sets up one premise (i.e. that crime profiling helps track down serial killers) only to destroy it.

Gladwell has divided his book into three sections. The first deals with what he calls obsessives and minor geniuses; the second with flawed ways of thinking. The third focuses on how we make predictions about people: will they make a good employee, are they capable of great works of art, or are they the local serial killer?

For Henry and David
When I was a small child, I used to sneak into my father's study and leaf through the papers on his desk.

PART ONE - Obsessives, Pioneers, and Other Varieties of Minor Genius

*What the Dog Saw - Cesar Millan and the movements of mastery. (May 22, 2006)

PART TWO - Theories, Predictions, and Diagnoses
*Connecting the Dots - The paradoxes of intelligence reform. (Mar 10, 2003)
*The Art of Failure - Why some people choke and others panic. (August 21, 2000)

PART THREE - Personality, Character, and Intelligence
*Dangerous Minds - Criminal profiling made easy. (Nov 12, 2007)
*The Talent Myth - Are smart people over-rated? (Jul 22, 2002)
*Late Bloomers - Why do we equate genius with precocity? (Oct 20, 2008)
*The New Boy Network - What do job interviews really tell us? (May 29, 2000)
*Troublemakers - What pit bulls can teach us about crime. (Feb 6, 2006)

What is the difference between choking and panicking? Why are there dozens of varieties of mustard-but only one variety of ketchup? What do football players teach us about how to hire teachers? What does hair dye tell us about the history of the 20th century?

In the past decade, Malcolm Gladwell has written three books that have radically changed how we understand our world and ourselves: The Tipping Point; Blink; and Outliers. Now, in What the Dog Saw, he brings together, for the first time, the best of his writing from The New Yorker over the same period.

Here is the bittersweet tale of the inventor of the birth control pill, and the dazzling inventions of the pasta sauce pioneer Howard Moscowitz. Gladwell sits with Ron Popeil, the king of the American kitchen, as he sells rotisserie ovens, and divines the secrets of Cesar Millan, the "dog whisperer" who can calm savage animals with the touch of his hand. He explores intelligence tests and ethnic profiling and "hindsight bias" and why it was that everyone in Silicon Valley once tripped over themselves to hire the same college graduate.

"Good writing," Gladwell says in his preface, "does not succeed or fail on the strength of its ability to persuade. It succeeds or fails on the strength of its ability to engage you, to make you think, to give you a glimpse into someone else's head." What the Dog Saw is yet another example of the buoyant spirit and unflagging curiosity that have made Malcolm Gladwell our most brilliant investigator of the hidden extraordinary.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 14:01:49 -0400)

Brings together, for the first time, the best of Gladwell's writing from "The""New Yorker" in the past decade, including: the bittersweet tale of the inventor of the birth control pill; the dazzling inventions of the pasta sauce pioneer Howard Moscowitz; spotlighting Ron Popeil, the king of the American kitchen; and the secrets of Cesar Millan, the "dog whisperer." Gladwell also explores intelligence tests, ethnic profiling and "hindsight bias," and why it was that everyone in Silicon Valley once tripped over themselves to hire the same college graduate.… (more)

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,469,140 books! | Top bar: Always visible