What the Dog Saw by Malcolm

Member:Trygvek
Title:What the Dog Saw
Authors:Malcolm
Info:Publisher Unknown

What the Dog Saw: And Other Adventures by Malcolm Gladwell (2009)

Eating the dinosaur by Chuck Klosterman (sanddancer)
    The Full Facts Book of Cold Reading: A Comprehensive Guide to the Most Persuasive Psychological Manipulation Technique in the World by Ian Rowland (Anonymous user)
    Anonymous user: If you've read Cold Reading or What the Dog Saw, you're likely to be interested in human nature and how people affect other people. Both reveal stunning insights in both these domains.

English (106)  Dutch (1)  Finnish (1)  All (108)
Malcolm Gladwell is one of my favourite authors; Outlier, Blink, The Tipping Point so when approaching this book, I expected something about societal mores, perhaps politics, maybe even a new trend. I was amazed to learn he’s been a writer for the New Yorker for many years so has honed his craft at the knee of surely one of the best magazines in the world. Of course, this is a collection of short non fiction writings of his that have appeared in the New Yorker and they are all engaging pieces one would expect from a writer who sees the world in another dimension foreign to his readers. ( )
  ShelleyAlberta | Feb 20, 2017 |
Gladwell writes superbly on various interesting topics. This is a great collection of his essays (previously published in The New Yorker). ( )
  StefanieBrookTrout | Feb 4, 2017 |
Malcolm Gladwell seems to have a knack for making a lot out of a little. Take, for instance, his book "Blink," the thesis of which is: First impressions are usually right. What I said in five words, he stretches out to several hundred pages. Yet they are fascinating pages that don't just state and restate his initial thought but dig deep into the hows and whys of the matter.

In "What the Dog Saw and Other Adventures," Gladwell holds himself back, giving us shorter reflections on a variety of intriguing questions you may have never thought to ask but, upon reading this book, you are glad somebody did. The book collects 19 articles originally published in The New Yorker.

Among the questions Gladwell asks and then answers are:

Who's the guy in all those Veg-O-Matic and Showtime Rotisserie infomercials?

If there are so many varieties of mustard, why is all ketchup pretty much the same?

Should a charge of plagiarism ruin a person's life?

Is someone always to blame for major disasters like the Challenger explosion?

Why do we equate genius with precocity?

Are smart people overrated?

What do job interviews really tell us?

The answers to these and other questions are almost always surprising and, like "Blink," utterly fascinating. In his introduction Gladwell states his belief that anything can be interesting if the writer does his job and makes it interesting. In fact, a reader might wish Gladwell would stretch each of these pieces into a book. ( )
  hardlyhardy | Jan 18, 2017 |
I found "What the Dog Saw" in the rotating collection of books on my brother's bathroom counter. I am not usually compelled by non-fiction, but a short read of the inside flap while I brushed my teeth had me flipping to the introduction on my way to bed. I finished the introduction at 2am, well past my bedtime, and forced myself not to begin chapter 1 until the next day.

The book continued to interest me, more or less, through it's entirety. Gladwell covers a wide range of socio-political topics with his selection of articles, some of which I found fascinating (Blowup: Who Can be Blamed for a Disaster like the Challenger Explosion? No One, and we'd Better Get Used to It, Open
Secrets: Enron, Intelligence, and the Perils of Too Much Information, Something Borrowed: Should a Charge of Plagiarism Ruin Your Life?, Dangerous Minds: Criminal Profiling Made Easy), others which were completely out of my realm, but interesting none-the-less, and one that made me skip to the next chapter (Blowing Up: How Nassim Taleb Turned the Inevitability of Disaster into an Investment Strategy). But only one. I didn't expect to read this book cover to cover, but aside from that one story, I did.

Besides how well it held my attention, I found that this book opened my mind to things I hadn't really thought through thoroughly. For example, the title piece "What the Dog Saw" is about Casar Millan, the Dog Whisperer. I had been told by a dog trainer that his theories are bunk and that they make no sense in the domestic environment, but reading this story gave me a perspective on his work that I would have written off, and I'm glad for it. Another interesting tid bit that floats through my mind, though the book is long finished, is that there is a difference between choking and panicking. Oh! And I learned about first impressions, and how biased they might be. I like a book that changes me by giving me a new perspective on things I thought I had figured out!

And so, I gave it a 4. It's not a perfect fit for me, or a book that I would read over and over, but it opened my mind and interested me in topics I would usually gloss over. Start with the inside flap and the introduction, and if they compel you at all to keep reading, I think you'll enjoy this book. ( )
  Liosa | Jan 9, 2017 |
3 ( )
  ronchan | Nov 14, 2016 |
The themes of the collection are a good way to characterize Gladwell himself: a minor genius who unwittingly demonstrates the hazards of statistical reasoning and who occasionally blunders into spectacular failures.

This book full of short conversation pieces is a collection that plays to the author’s strengths. It underscores his way of finding suitably quirky subjects (the history of women’s hair-dye advertisements; the secret of Heinz’s unbeatable ketchup; even the effects of women’s changing career patterns on the number of menstrual periods they experience in their lifetimes) and using each as gateway to some larger meaning. It illustrates how often he sets up one premise (i.e. that crime profiling helps track down serial killers) only to destroy it.

Gladwell has divided his book into three sections. The first deals with what he calls obsessives and minor geniuses; the second with flawed ways of thinking. The third focuses on how we make predictions about people: will they make a good employee, are they capable of great works of art, or are they the local serial killer?

For Henry and David
When I was a small child, I used to sneak into my father's study and leaf through the papers on his desk.

FROM THE INSIDE FLAP:

What is the difference between choking and panicking? Why are there dozens of varieties of mustard but only one variety of ketchup? What do football players teach us about how to hire teachers? What does hair dye tell us about the history of the twentieth century?

In the past decade, Malcolm Gladwell has written three books that have radically changed how we understand our world and ourselves: The Tipping Point, Blink, and Outliers. Now, in What the Dog Saw, he brings together, for the first time, the best of his writing from The New Yorker over the same period.

Here you'll find the bittersweet tale of the inventor of the birth control pill, and the dazzling creations of pasta sauce pioneer Howard Moskowitz. Gladwell sits with Ron Popeil, the king of the American kitchen, as he sells rotisserie ovens, and divines the secrets of Cesar Millan, the "dog whisperer," who can calm savage animals with the touch of his hand. He explores intelligence tests and ethnic profiling and why it was that employers in Silicon Valley once tripped over themselves to hire the same college graduate.

"Good writing," Gladwell says in his preface, "does not succeed or fail on the strength of its ability to persuade. It succeeds or fails on the strength of its ability to engage you, to make you think, to give you a glimpse into someone else's head." What the Dog Saw is yet another example of the buoyant spirit and unflagging curiosity that have made Malcolm Gladwell our most brilliant investigator of the hidden extraordinary.

PART ONE - Obsessives, Pioneers, and Other Varieties of Minor Genius
*The Pitchman - Ron Popeil and the conquest of the American kitchen. (Oct 30, 2000)
*The Ketchup Conundrum - Mustard now comes in dozens of different varieties. Why has ketchup stayed the same? (Sept 6, 2004)
*Blowing Up - How Nassim Taleb turned the inevitability of disaster into an investment strategy. (Apr 22, 2002)

*True Colors - Hair dye and the hidden history of postwar America. (Mar 22, 1999)
*John Rock's Error - What the inventor of the birth control pill didn't know about women's health. (Mar 13, 2000)
*What the Dog Saw - Cesar Millan and the movements of mastery. (May 22, 2006)

PART TWO - Theories, Predictions, and Diagnoses
*Open Secrets - Enron, intelligence and the perils of too much information. (Jan 8, 2007)
*Million Dollar Murray - Why problems like homelessness may be easier to solve than to manage. (Feb 13, 2006)
*The Picture Problem - Mammography, air power, and the limits of looking. (Dec 13, 2004)
*Something Borrowed - Should a charge of plagiarism ruin your life? (Nov 22, 2004)
*Connecting the Dots - The paradoxes of intelligence reform. (Mar 10, 2003)
*The Art of Failure - Why some people choke and others panic. (August 21, 2000)
*Blowup - Who can be blamed for a disaster like the Challenger explosion? No one, and we'd better get used to it. (Jan 22, 1996)

PART THREE - Personality, Character, and Intelligence
*Most Likely to Succeed - How do we hire when we can't tell who's right for the job. (Dec 15, 2008)
*Dangerous Minds - Criminal profiling made easy. (Nov 12, 2007)
*The Talent Myth - Are smart people over-rated? (Jul 22, 2002)
*Late Bloomers - Why do we equate genius with precocity? (Oct 20, 2008)
*The New Boy Network - What do job interviews really tell us? (May 29, 2000)
*Troublemakers - What pit bulls can teach us about crime. (Feb 6, 2006)

What is the difference between choking and panicking? Why are there dozens of varieties of mustard-but only one variety of ketchup? What do football players teach us about how to hire teachers? What does hair dye tell us about the history of the 20th century?

In the past decade, Malcolm Gladwell has written three books that have radically changed how we understand our world and ourselves: The Tipping Point; Blink; and Outliers. Now, in What the Dog Saw, he brings together, for the first time, the best of his writing from The New Yorker over the same period.

Here is the bittersweet tale of the inventor of the birth control pill, and the dazzling inventions of the pasta sauce pioneer Howard Moscowitz. Gladwell sits with Ron Popeil, the king of the American kitchen, as he sells rotisserie ovens, and divines the secrets of Cesar Millan, the "dog whisperer" who can calm savage animals with the touch of his hand. He explores intelligence tests and ethnic profiling and "hindsight bias" and why it was that everyone in Silicon Valley once tripped over themselves to hire the same college graduate.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:23:54 -0400)

Brings together, for the first time, the best of Gladwell's writing from "The""New Yorker" in the past decade, including: the bittersweet tale of the inventor of the birth control pill; the dazzling inventions of the pasta sauce pioneer Howard Moscowitz; spotlighting Ron Popeil, the king of the American kitchen; and the secrets of Cesar Millan, the "dog whisperer." Gladwell also explores intelligence tests, ethnic profiling and "hindsight bias," and why it was that everyone in Silicon Valley once tripped over themselves to hire the same college graduate.… (more)

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 113,233,373 books! | Top bar: Always visible