True Compass: A Memoir by Edward M. Kennedy

True Compass: A Memoir (edition 2009)

by Edward M. Kennedy, John Bedford Lloyd (Reader)

Member:rxtheresa
Title:True Compass: A Memoir
Authors:Edward M. Kennedy
Other authors:John Bedford Lloyd (Reader)
Info:Hachette Audio (2009), Edition: Unabridged, Audio CD, 1 pages
Collections:Audio, Read but unowned
Rating:*****

True Compass: A Memoir by Edward M. Kennedy

Recently added byprivate library, Newspapers, badgerbacker, fontbonne, MalD57

English (25)  Dutch (2)  All languages (27)
Frank, enlightening, inspiring and most of the time quite easy a pleasurable to read, the swan song of Senator Kennedy sheds new light on old ideas, about himself, his family, and this country as a whole, particularly the Senate. A reaffirmation of the respect and wonder in which many Americans have held the Kennedys for decades.

His discussions on legislation were a little harder to read, but still presented in a way that was very accessible, very precise, and very Ted.

My views of him and the Kennedy clan, already high, are strengthened by this memoir. ( )
  TyUnglebower | Jun 28, 2014 |
Great to read about the Kennedy family from a Kennedy. Ted Kennedy was one of the greatest figures of the last decade and it's a shame that there aren't more politicians like him. ( )
  melissarochelle | Apr 13, 2013 |
I heart Ted Kennedy... so there wasn't much I didn't already know. I would have liked more anecdotes and less scenes of him walking on the beach letting his grief wash over him.

TeenieLee | Apr 3, 2013 |
This autobiography written by Ted Kennedy shortly before his death is an interesting read for those interested in the Kennedy clan. Fun stories about his childhood along with tales of his wives and children accompany many political antidotes. Glossed over are some topics that I wished would have been more forthcoming (Chappaquiddick) Many of his tales seemed filled with much bravado as if he was patting himself on the back for a job well done. Good read, but suggest to read with open eyes. ( )
  janiereader | Sep 14, 2012 |
This was a wonderful memoir. Any student of history, regardless of their political position, should read this book. Ted Kennedy keeps you spellbound as he weaves his tale of life in the Kennedy family and life in politics. As you read the book, you get the feeling that the Senator is sitting across from you telling the story to you personally. This book navigates us through American politics and history through the last seventy-five years. An amazing recollection of memories from one of America's most enduring political figures. ( )
  briandrewz | May 2, 2012 |
An engaging telling of Kennedy's storied life.

An enjoyable read.

The late Sen. Edward M. Kennedy has produced a revelatory — though not tabloidesque — account of his storied life and career... Since people will no longer have the chance to sit with Mr. Kennedy on the porch of his home in his beloved Hyannisport overlooking the ocean as he sips hot tea and tells yarns, reading "True Compass" is the next best thing.

Touchingly candid, big-hearted and altogether superb... Completed in the shadow of the senator's own mortality, this is a book whose clarity of recollection and expression entitles it to share in the lineage established by America's first great memoir of public life -- "The Autobiography of U.S. Grant," which he wrote while himself dying of cancer.

If the writing about his marriage and Chappaquiddick in True Compass does not exactly seem introspective, neither does it ring false, and the rest of his life story — filled with colorful tales of his siblings and inside-the-Beltway detail — makes for a thoughtful, intermittently gut-wrenching read.

For Vicki, my true compass on this voyage.

"My bounty is as boundless as the sea,

My love as deep...for both are infinite."

--William Shakespeare
It was on the sunny spring day of Tuesday, May 20, 2008, that I emerged from a medicated drowsiness in a Boston hospital bed and looked up into the face of a doctor who explained to me in a somber way that I was about to die, and that I had best begin getting my affairs in order and preparing my friends and family for the end.
Title means: "Family, Politics, Love" - still can't find out for sure which book this is though.

Ted Kennedys last analysis of his life in general, and particulary the voyage of his final illnmess. This book is set apart for me, because out of all the books I have read in my life, tis the only one that made me feel as though he were right in the room speaking with me directly. This was an entirely new feeling fo r me, and one that truly touched my heart.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0446539252, Hardcover)

Product Description
In this landmark autobiography, five years in the making, Senator Edward M. Kennedy tells his extraordinary personal story--of his legendary family, politics, and fifty years at the center of national events.

TRUE COMPASS

The youngest of nine children born to Joseph P. Kennedy and Rose Fitzgerald Kennedy, he came of age among siblings from whom much was expected. As a young man, he played a key role in the presidential campaign of his brother John F. Kennedy, recounted here in loving detail. In 1962 he was elected to the U.S. Senate, where he began a fascinating political education and became a legislator.

In this historic memoir, Ted Kennedy takes us inside his family, re-creating life with his parents and brothers and explaining their profound impact on him. For the first time, he describes his heartbreak and years of struggle in the wake of their deaths. Through it all, he describes his work in the Senate on the major issues of our time--civil rights, Vietnam, Watergate, the quest for peace in Northern Ireland--and the cause of his life: improved health care for all Americans, a fight influenced by his own experiences in hospitals.

His life has been marked by tragedy and perseverance, a love of family, and an abiding faith. There have been controversies, too, and Kennedy addresses them with unprecedented candor. At midlife, embattled and uncertain if he would ever fall in love again, he met the woman who changed his life, Victoria Reggie Kennedy. Facing a tough reelection campaign against an aggressive challenger named Mitt Romney, Kennedy found a new voice and began one of the great third acts in American politics, sponsoring major legislation, standing up for liberal principles, and making the pivotal endorsement of Barack Obama for president.

Hundreds of books have been written about the Kennedys. TRUE COMPASS will endure as the definitive account from a member of America's most heralded family, an inspiring legacy to readers and to history, and a deeply moving story of a life like no other.

A Look at Edward M. Kennedy Through the Years (Click on each image below to see a larger view)
Ted Kennedy with Bobby Kennedy at the opening of the Royal Children’s Zoo (June 9, 1938)
John F. Kennedy, Robert F. Kennedy, and Edward M. Kennedy
Ted Kennedy and Bobby Kennedy at the St. Patrick’s Day Parade in South Boston
Ted and Vicki Kennedy (Photo by Ken Regan)

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:29:21 -0400)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,627,454 books! | Top bar: Always visible