The Case of the Gypsy Goodbye by Nancy…

The Case of the Gypsy Goodbye (2010)

by Nancy Springer

Loved this series. ( )
  DKnight0918 | May 31, 2018 |
This final Enola Holmes mystery finally answers the question that has been hovering beneath all the other stories: where is Enola's mother? It also has Enola looking for Lady Blanchefleur del Campo who disappeared one day into London's new underground.

Sherlock is also looking for Enola but, this time, it is because a strange package has been delivered to their family home for her. Sherlock has moderated his goal for Enola too. After being educated by Florence Nightingale in the previous book about the horrors of proper boarding schools, he is rethinking his plans for Enola's future. However, Mycroft is the one with legal authority over Enola and his thinking about her future hasn't changed.

Again this book has a cipher that has to be decoded, disguises aplenty, and lots of adventure in Victorian England. It also has a maturing Enola and a new relationship for her with her much older brothers.

This was a satisfying conclusion to an excellent historical mystery series. ( )
  kmartin802 | Jul 25, 2017 |
This book could be read in class with fourth or fifth graders. It could encourage them to problem solve and connect the dots with clues within the story. When reading this book, I could ask them to predict what will happen next. Also, with the vocabulary from the setting of England, I could show them the difference between our pronunciation and England's of the English language.
  kroby01 | Mar 14, 2017 |
I could use this book in a Special Education EBD third, fourth, or fifth grade class who still needs help learning to problem solve. The book would be an engaging way to connect clues and conclusions to real life problem solving and detecting. I would make sure each student had a copy. I would read some aloud, but would also ask the students to read some on their (depending on if their lexile level permitted) own to ensure participation. I could also use this book in a Special Education high school class to teach about historical Britain and figures like Jane Austen and Sherlock Holmes who are frequently noted in English literature. I would read this book aloud so I could create excitement and promote engagement.
  Courtney_Kelley | Mar 9, 2017 |
This book could be read by a fourth or fifth-grade student as an independent read. It has language that they can understand and explains confusing words and gives pronunciations when necessary. It is also in a series so they could read multiple if they enjoyed it. They would like its characters and plot.
  TimGordon | Feb 24, 2017 |
To my mother
"Mister Sherlock, I'm that glad to see you, I am, and that obliged . . ." Mrs. Lane, faithful Holmes family servant, who has known the great detective since he was a boy in short pants, cannot keep the quaver out of her voice or the tears out of her dim old eyes.

As Enola searches for the missing Lady Blanchefleur del Campo, she discovers that her brother Sherlock is just as diligently searching for Enola herself?and this time he really needs to catch her! He is in possession of a most peculiar package, a message from their long-lost mother that only Enola can decipher. Sherlock, along with their brother Mycroft, must follow Enola into the reeking tunnels of London's dark underbelly as they solve a triple mystery: What has happened to their mother? And to Lady Blanchefleur? And what does either have to do with Mycroft, who holds Enola's future in his ever-so- proper hands?

No one, not even Sherlock, is left unchanged or unsurprised in this brilliant conclusion to the Enola Holmes mystery series. [retrieved 4/25/2013 from Amazon.com]br>

Begins July 1889.

After fourteen-year-old Enola Holmes seeks the missing Duquessa Del Campo in the seedy underbelly of nineteenth-century London, she finally reaches an understanding with her brothers Sherlock and Mycroft.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 126,515,631 books! | Top bar: Always visible