Unknown by Rachel Caine

Re-read: 7/6/15 - 4 stars

Originally read 5/20/10 - 5 stars

This book was just as good as the first one. Cassiel is a smart, tough and flawed heroine. Her desire to save humanity instead of destroying it felt genuine. Her emerging romance with Luis was just the right touch; it wasn't the main focus of the story, but simmered nicely in the background. There was plenty of action and suspense to keep me on the edge of my seat and I anxiously await the next installment. ( )
  mitabird | Jun 10, 2018 |
This series just gets better and better! I really like how Cassiel is coming to terms with her humanity and how that affects her relationship with Luis. They are a really cool couple and are working more like a team as they resume their search for Isabel, Luis' missing niece. In this, the second installment of the Outcast Season, the plot continues to develop as Pearl moves forward with her evil plan. Is she after revenge against the Djinn or human extinction? Does she want to destroy Cassiel or Mother Earth herself? It's anyone's guess at this point, but I'll keep reading to find out. It's definitely going to be an epic confrontation between good and evil.

Pearl is definitely one of the more insane evil characters in Ms. Caine's writings. She's ruthless and will use anyone, dispose of any life, if it suits her purpose, or if it simply amuses her. Her lack of respect for life acts as a lightning bolt, searing the newly experienced emotions of Cassiel, which translates to quite a few emotional scenes for the readers. I have to respect that in a book. One moment you can be excited, reading an adrenaline induced fight scene and the next, you're getting a little misty and picturing all the evil ways you would like to see Pearl die. Okay, it's not THAT bad, but you get the picture. The emotions are spot on.

This is an action packed Urban Fantasy series with unique characters and sci-fi traits that will leave you breathless for more! I highly recommend this one for all fantasy fans! ( )
  Becky_McKenna | Mar 10, 2016 |
The second book of the spinoff series from the Weather Warden series starts right almost at the end of the first one. Cassiel is working with Rocha to find his niece that has been taken by a rogue djinn bent on destroying everything and is using children with weather warden powers as her army. I do hope they will find an ally instead of always having someone stab them in the back. ( )
  Glennis.LeBlanc | Jul 8, 2014 |
RATING: 2.5 stars.

So far, the "Oucast Season" series has just been an... average reading for me. I like the overall concept (and the fact that you don't have to read the Weather Warden series - which I didn't, yet - to get the story) and Cassiel's character is interesting, but I just feel the author is not giving us enough in each book.

From what I've seen (or read) so far, the story will only be concluded in the last book of the series which means that not only each book ends with a cliffhanger (like those annoying two-part tv episodes that end with a "to be continued") but also that the story drags and very little happens in each book. This means that in each book our heroes are pursuing the same enemy and basically the action in both books is the same; they are attacked, they flee, they have an encounter with said enemy.

The author could have developed her characters a lot more to make up for the lack of plot "advancement" (but not action; you have action enough, as a substitute for the slow story build) but she doesn't. Luis is still, for me at least, just sketched, not a full-fledged character. Thus, his feelings for Cassiel didn't convince me.

Overall, this was a nice read, but again (as with the first book), I feel annoyed at the cliffhanger and I'm seriously getting tired of the presented storyline especially because it isn't that complex and we pretty much know the villains motivations and powers and true identity already. I really hope Rachel Caine comes up with a truly original and flashy plot twist or readers will seriously get bored with this series. Or at least I will (and I'm just one reader, I suppose, lol). ( )
  slayra | Sep 21, 2013 |
Ex-Djinn Cassiel continues to make hard choices in her struggle to defeat her sister Pearl without wiping humanity off the face of the Earth. With fanatics galore, and the FBI being as "helpful" as ever, Earth Warden Luis and Cassiel aren't making much progress in retrieving Ibby and the other kidnapped Warden children.

More action, and more angst - Cassiel's definitely learning about humanity the hard way. ( )
  SunnySD | Jul 27, 2013 |
To Alan & Sivi Balthrop, and their lovely family, with much love and respect. Thank you for giving me such constant, loving support!

To A. J. Merrifield, for being just so damn cool.
So many missing children.

"...Living among mortals, Cassiel has begun to develop a reluctant affection for them--especially the intriguing Warden Luis Rocha. As the mystery deepens around the kidnapping of innocent Warden children, Cassiel and Luis are the only ones who can investigate within both the human and Djinn realms. But the more Luis and Cassiel search, the more dangerous the trail becomes, reaching not only into a fanatical splinter group, but into the highest ranks of Cassiel's immortal kin. An outcast from her own kind, Cassiel must now rely on her own limited earthbound powers to save the young Wardens...if it's not already too late."--p.[4] of cover.… (more)

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,733,273 books! | Top bar: Always visible