dismiss

Genghis Khan and the Making of the Modern…

Genghis Khan and the Making of the Modern World (original 2004; edition 2005)

by Jack Weatherford

A re-evaluation of Genghis Khan's rise to power examines the reforms the conqueror instituted throughout his empire and his uniting of East and West, which set the foundation for the nation-states and economic systems of the modern era.
Member:thcson
Title:Genghis Khan and the Making of the Modern World
Authors:Jack Weatherford
Info:Three Rivers Press (2005), Paperback, 352 pages
Tags:mongolian history

Genghis Khan and the Making of the Modern World by Jack Weatherford (2004)

English (69)  Spanish (2)  All languages (71)
4.5 stars ( )
  the_lirazel | Apr 6, 2020 |
As others have noted: this is really a re-telling of the book "The Secret History" with some stuff tacked on.

So.... it was pretty boring to start with, but got better. Really needed more sources and an editor. Didn't give the feeling of being thorough or deep. Very little about "The Making of the Modern World", though there could have been 100's of pages ('cos the Mongols' influence on the west was very deep)

GirlMeetsTractor | Mar 22, 2020 |
Covering hundreds of years of history, this book reviews the successes of Genghis Khan and the successes then failures of his descendants, who began the process of connecting Eurasia and brought major innovations to warfare and to governance. I would’ve liked more about the military tactics, in fact; they sound perfectly terrifying. ( )
  rivkat | Dec 19, 2019 |
I'm not big on nonfiction but I thoroughly enjoyed the first several chapters of this book. There was plenty of rather fascinatingly twisted anthropological information in "Genghis Kahn" to kept me interested... even though my eyes usually tend to start closing when I read history books. In college I studied the effects of the Mongol-Tatar Yoke on Russia, but this book broadened my view, albeit sometimes in vocabulary that seemed a little too 20th-century for the topic. Still, even though the history of warfare has never been my "thing," I will likely take the book out of the library again when I'm ready for more. ( )
  LizoksBooks | Dec 15, 2018 |
Curious.
For an historical book, I was surprised of the acceptance at face value an apologetic single source for Gengis Khan's early years
The massacres are mentioned in passing with little comment, and the Mongol empire is presented as the single source of progress in the 1200s.
Need a counter view ( )
  Edmee2M | Nov 18, 2018 |

Jack Weatherfordprimary authorall editionscalculated
David Lindroth Inc.Mapssecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Davis, JonathanNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Henderson, LeonardDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Lång, ÖjevindTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Of the thousands of cities conquered by the Mongols, history only mentions one that Geghis Khan deigned to enter.

Contents
Notes
Glossary
Acknowledgements
About the Author

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 147,852,592 books! | Top bar: Always visible