Vortex by Robert Charles Wilson

Vortex

by Robert Charles Wilson

Series: Spin (3)

3582043,483 (3.4)10

English (19)  Hungarian (1)  All languages (20)
Good and interesting conclusion to a great trilogy. Well written, good pacing.

4 / 5. ( )
  summerloud | Jul 27, 2018 |
The third, and best, in the Spin trilogy. "Spin" was a good yarn; "Axis" was somewhat weaker, as is frequently the case in mid-trilogy entries; "Vortex" is a compelling and complicated story that goes back and forth in time and satisfyingly wraps up all the threads of the Spin story and characters. Altogether, the trilogy is a very enjoyable sci-fi experience. I'd say more about the plot, but even a little would give away too much of the first two books. But this is definitely an author I'm going to read more from. Just really good story-telling. ( )
  auntmarge64 | Sep 18, 2017 |
I'd call this a very satisfying finish to the Spin-Axis-Vortex trilogy I read this year. Spin was amazing, Axis good, and Vortex delivers what for me was a very good read with an ending that ties things up and I can live with. I could see early on where some of this third book was going, but not how, and the story maintained some mystery and excitement with several interesting characters. There is a very character driven novel and the story is told chapter to chapter with a different viewpoint of the main characters. Part of the story is set in the future just after Spin/Axis and part 10,000 years in the future. I really became engaged with the lives of several of the characters and cared what would happen to them. I can recommend this series to those who want a good science fiction tale full of highly speculative science, but focused on characters. ( )
  RBeffa | Apr 12, 2017 |
Vortex is book 3 of a trilogy that began very promising with Spin. It follows Turk Findley (a character in the 2nd book), and answers all the questions raised in the previous two books.

While better than the 2nd book - Axis, it doesn't quite reach the level of Spin. It's premise is interesting, the execution however is somewhat lackluster and the ending is somewhat contrived. ( )
  bhuesers | Mar 29, 2017 |
Remember to plow through Axis first, but this is supposed to be better.
  Cheryl_in_CC_NV | Jun 5, 2016 |
While this doesn't pack the punch of Spin, which deservedly won the Hugo back in 2006, all in all it's a satisfying conclusion to the series. Given how often this sort of grandly cosmic series goes completely off the rails at the end, that's no small achievement. It's well worth reading if you've already read the other two. And if you haven't read the other two, do yourself a favor and go get Spin at once.

Robert Charles Wilsonprimary authorall editionscalculated
Brick, ScottNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Linckens , MarianneTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Linckens, P. H.Translatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Schütz, NeleCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
No more, Sandra Cole thought when she woke up in her sweltering apartment.

Turk and his young friend Isaac Dvali are taken up by a community of fanatics who use them to enable a passage to the dying Earth, where they believe a prophecy of human/Hypothetical contact will be fulfilled.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,970,437 books! | Top bar: Always visible