Blood of the Demon by Diana Rowland

Series: Kara Gillian (2)

3502031,236 (4.06)12

Blood of the Demon
4 Stars

When a fellow detective at the Beaulac PD is found dead from an apparent self-inflicted gunshot wound, Kara Gillian, demon summoner, is the only one to see that her friend’s essence has been ripped from his body. And so begins a series of disturbing murders linked to the upper echelons of Beaulac society and perhaps to Kara’s personal life as well…

Once again, Rowland has successfully merged the suspense elements with the paranormal to create engaging characters and a gripping story.

The murder mystery is well-written with an interesting pool of suspects and motivations. The resolution is satisfying, although I did manage to guess the culprit a few minutes in advance, and the final confrontation is somewhat Deus Ex Machina.

The demonology of Gillian’s world is detailed and fascinating. One thing that is a little unbelievable is the fact that several secondary characters suddenly have connections to the Arcane - how convenient!

Despite the fact that she is completely clueless about men and needs to brush up on her police procedure what kind of cop leaves their gun in the car?, Kara is a very appealing heroine and it is fun seeing her slowly opening up to people and allowing them to get closer to her, as she is a rather lonely person.

There are also developments in Kara’s relationships with the two men in her life. Although he has one or two judgmental jerk moments, Ryan is turning into a very compelling character and I look forward to learning more about his mysterious identity. I’m more conflicted about Rhyzkahl as he obviously has ulterior motives when it comes to Kara. Moreover, the fact that Kara had sex with him just to spite Ryan feels wrong even though they are not technically together.

On a final note, there is still an excessive use of vulgarity, but perhaps I’m getting used to it as it doesn’t bother me as much as in the first book. Lastly, Liv Andersen’s narration remains slow but this is easily solved with 1.25 speed.

All in all, this series is an entertaining combination of mystery, humor and romance. ( )
  Lauren2013 | Nov 19, 2016 |

Better than the original, and the original is fun. The demon mythology world Rowland created is interesting to follow and easy to be sucked into, the Urban Fantasy is so mixed into police procedural that it’s more of a dual-drama. Blood of the Demons story was clever and twisted, delving into another supernatural creature and as Kara learns about it, we do too.

The mystery element was gigantic as well, since many of the twists and investigative leads made little sense on how they could be intertwined. That is, of course, until the end where it’s discovered – tada! – mystery solved, and a clever one at that.

Pacing stays consistent from start to finish, the story didn’t tire itself out, and there’s still plenty left to be discovered about the main characters. The ending isn’t an annoying cliffhanger, but the final events were exciting morsels that make me hunger for the next book.

For a nice, surprising change I loved Kara’s personality. She is not the typical, overly bitchy heroine with something to prove like most UF protagonists. This stereotype is usually true when the women are cops. Instead she’s actually sweet, funny, fair, understanding, and strong when she needs to be. The author is clearly not afraid to show vulnerabilities (which makes her more realistic.)

The sex is again limited, but the scene where it’s shown…triple wow. The mystery with Ryan is still strong and just enough tidbits are given where I’m curious but have no idea what’s going on. The ending is a cliffhanger.

The demon lore is particularly well developed – not the Christian version, different hierarchies, summoning and arcane magic. Rowland writes well and plays out good characters, even if I do find Ryan a bit dull still. Her blend of mystery, humor, and action blend well.

I have not put this one as five material yet – it’s exciting, fun to follow, but there is an element about it that lacks realism. Better than the first.

ErinPaperbackstash | Jun 14, 2016 |
Not a bad continuation of the series. Looking forward to having Aunt Tessa back in the picture either. ( )
  pnwbookgirl | Feb 7, 2016 |
This review is also published at http://thebookaholiccat.com

Blood of the Demon is the second book in the Kara Gillian Series by Diana Rowland.

Beaulac Police Detective Kara Gillian, is back to work after being on medical leave for a month, due to the aftermath of the events in Mark of the Demon. She is not just recovering physically but emotionally. Her aunt Tessa is still in a vegetative state after missing her essence or soul, and there is little hope she will ever recover.

Kara is investigating a series of suspicious deaths, in which the “essence” of the different persons has been ripped violently from their bodies.
Kara knows some lower level demons eat the essence of animals, but she had never heard of that been done to humans. Whatever or whoever it’s doing it, it has to be a very strong being.
Agents Ryan Kristoff and Zack Garner are relocated to the new FBI office in Beaulac and are also investigating a case that is crossing paths with Kara’s case.
Kara is at lost with this case. She needs help, and the only source that could help her with the information she requires is Lord Rhyzkahl. But he wants something in return. He wants her to be his summoner in exchange for the information. Kara is not so sure of the implications this will have. She needs to think about it. It’s a great opportunity to learn from him. But she also needs to consider her attraction towards him. She knows he is a Demon Lord and there must be something else he is not telling her.
Kara and Ryan’s relationship starts to develop a little bit, but when he learns Kara has summoned Rhyzkahl again for answers and also learns about Kara and Rhyzkahl’s previous encounter he goes ballistic, hurting Kara’s feelings in the way. Now their friendship is not as it was before; things between them are stained, and on top of all, Kara discovers Ryan has been keeping secrets from her. Making her decisions even more complicated.

Kara is a great heroine, she is strong, smart, funny and capable. She knows she is not all powerful and when she needs help she asks for it (usually). Furthermore she is willing to do whatever is necessary to protect those she cares for.
I also like that she has flaws and insecurities making her more real and easier to connect with.

Ryan is still a “don’t know” for me. I go from I like him to I don’t like him from page to page. I don’t like that he hides things from Kara. He may have his reasons but I think is selfish of him to want to know everything about Kara while he is not sharing his “real self” with her.

I know I shouldn’t root for the demon but in this case I am. I really like Lord Rhyzkahl. He may be vague with his answers but he cares for Kara, he has proved it in many occasions. It’s also clear he is attracted to Kara, and in his way he has been there for her when she had needed him.
Of course there is more to him, he is a very intricate being, and it’s in his nature as a Lord Demon. But I don’t think (hope) nothing bad will come to Kara from him.

My final thought: Blood of the Demon it’s a fast paced book, with rich and delightful characters. There is sexual tension and sizzling pages. The world is unique and exciting. The plot has nice and well elaborated mystery and police elements. All in all, this book is a great addition to a great series.
In Blood of the Demon Mrs. Rowland created magic with words that would let you begging for more. ( )
  BookaholicCat | Mar 4, 2015 |
RATING: 3.5 stars.

Not as good as the first one (the story seemed like more of the same, the mystery wasn't as well explored), but still the characters and the world building are appealing.

Full review to come (maybe). ( )
  slayra | Sep 21, 2013 |

Diana Rowlandprimary authorall editionscalculated
Kolesova, JulianaCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Mom, for supporting the arts
The Demon was little more than a mist of fog and teeth, barely visible to normal sight.

BETWEEN HEAVEN AND HELL, MAN AND DEMON, SHE’S ABOUT TO FACE THE ONE THING SHE MAY NOT BE ABLE TO SURVIVE.

Welcome to the world of Kara Gillian, a cop with a gift. Not only does she have the power of “othersight” to see what most people can’t even imagine, but she’s become the exclusive summoner of a demon lord. Or maybe it’s the other way around. The fact is, with two troublesome cases on her docket and a handsome FBI agent under her skin, Kara needs the help of sexy, insatiable Lord Rhyzkahl more than he needs her. Because these two victims, linked by suspicious coincidence, haven’t just been murdered. Something has eaten their souls.

It’s a case with roots in the arcane, but whose evil has flowered among the rich, powerful, and corrupt in Beaulac, Louisiana. And as the killings continue, Kara soon realizes how much there’s still to learn about demons, men, and things that kill in the night—and how little time she has to learn it.

"Welcome to the world of Kara Gillian, a cop with a gift. Not only does she have the power of 'othersight' to see what most people can't even imagine, but she's become the exclusive summoner of a demon lord. Or maybe it's the other way around. The fact is, with two troublesome cases on her docket and a handsome FBI agent under her skin, Kara needs the help of sexy, instiable Lord Rhyzkahl more than he needs her. Because these two victims, linked by suspicious coincidence, haven't just been murdered. Something has eaten their souls. It's a case with roots in the arcane, but whose evil has flowered among the rich, powerful, and corrupt in Beaulac, Louisiana. And as the killings continue, Kara soon realizes how much there's still to learn about demons, men, and things that kill in the night--and how little time she has to learn it."--P. [4] of cover.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,181,479 books! | Top bar: Always visible