Passion, Betrayal and Killer Highlights by…

Passion, Betrayal and Killer Highlights (2006)

by Kyra Davis

This was another fun read in the Sophie Katz Mystery. There were several LOL places in this book and lots or really amusing stuff too. ( )
  AlaskanBookie | Sep 23, 2013 |
Sophie's sister is in danger of being arrested for the murder of her husband. This must not happen because there is no way Sophie wants to be the guardian of her nephew, Jack.

The story is light and bright, no meat, just some happy carefree reading, which is a funny thing to say about a story with multiple murders. The mystery was solvable early on, and it was a bit frustrating how dense or shallow the characters were, especially the one who is supposed to be a Private Investigator. I think the author would do well to let him shine and make her main character be the comic sidekick rather than have the comic sidekick blunder onto the solution and him there just to nag and provide sex. I did appreciate how Sophie's attitude toward's her nephew changed as the story moved along. It seems possible that she might actually grow and develop, rather than the Stephanie Plum character who remains an ignorant fool throughout the series. I'll read the other one I have just because they are no-brainers and fun. I need that right now. ( )
  MrsLee | Jun 15, 2013 |
It has been awhile since I read bk 1 in the Sophie Katz series by Kyra Davis, but the story quickly came back to me after reading a couple of chapters of Bk 2, Passion Betrayal and Killer Highlights. I forgot how much I enjoyed Sophie Katz, and the writing of Kyra Davis.

In Passion Betrayal and Killer Highlights the focus is on Sophie’s sister Leah, who is the prime suspect in her husband’s murder. Leah clearly has motive, since she had just recently found out thatBob was having a affair and leaving her for the other women, and let’s not forget the the all important fact that she is the one that finds him dead, and she has no alibi. Of course, there is no way Sophie is going to let the police pin bob’s murder on her sister. She hires the ever hot PI from bk 1, Anatoly.

Kyra Davis is a witty writer. The characters are fun, and the book is full with one liners that had me rolling. It’s been awhile since I laughed so much reading a book.

My favorite line in the book..

“ Let me make sure I’m interpreting this correctly. You cheated on your diet, gained a pound, and blame this on a self-diagnosed thyroid condition”

I couldn’t stop laughing after reading that line.

The mystery was awesome, I was kept on my toes throughout the whole book. I spent the whole book thinking I knew who did it, to be completely wrong. I’ve read many reviews that say that this is a cheap imitation of the Stephanie Plum series, so I guess I’m lucky that I’ve never read a Stephanie Plum book. I love this series, and I adore the characters. ( )
  jjameli | May 26, 2010 |
Good and Fun
  whyteb | Nov 8, 2009 |
This series is a ton of fun. The characters are funny, unique and jump off the page. If you like a little mystery with your chick - lit, then this is the series for you. The mystery element was stronger in this book. I had an idea of who the killer was before the big confrontation scene, but I wasn't truly sure until the end. The strength of Davis' writing is the funny dialogue between characters as well as the growing relationship between Sophie and her favorite private investigator. ( )
1 vote jedziedz | Aug 5, 2009 |

Sophie Katz has just offered a man $12,000 for his services… Is she desperate or just meshugeneh?

Considering the kind of disasters that usually befall the half-black, half-Jewish mystery writer, probably both. Because the last time Sophie saw sexy P.I. Anatoly Darinsky, he practically danced a jig when she waved goodbye—a normal reaction for a man who'd nearly bought the farm trying to protect her from her own foolishness. What are the chances he'd agree to take incriminating pictures of her sister's philandering husband? Or that he'd let her tag along—you know…for research?

But when her brother-in-law turns up dead and her sister becomes the prime suspect, Sophie's priority is finding the real killer. With or without Anatoly's help. Her brother-in-law's secret life yields plenty of suspects, but the San Francisco police aren't taking any of them seriously. So Sophie does what comes naturally to her: she stirs up trouble (to lure the killer out, of course).

But if her crazy plan works, will Anatoly be there to protect her this time?

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:46:38 -0400)

Considering the kind of disasters that usually befall the half-black, half-Jewish mystery writer, probably both. Because the last time Sophie saw sexy P.I. Anatoly Darinsky, he practically danced a jig when she waved goodbye--a normal reaction for a man who'd nearly bought the farm trying to protect her from her own foolishness. What are the chances he'd agree to take incriminating pictures of her sister's philandering husband? Or that he'd let her tag along--you know--for research? But when her brother-in-law turns up dead and her sister becomes the prime suspect, Sophie's priority is finding the real killer. With or without Anatoly's help. Her brother-in-law's secret life yields plenty of suspects, but the San Francisco police aren't taking any of them seriously. So Sophie does what comes naturally to her: she stirs up trouble (to lure the killer out, of course)… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,737,858 books! | Top bar: Always visible