Captain Alatriste by Arturo Perez-Reverte

Captain Alatriste (original 1996; edition 2005)

by Arturo Perez-Reverte, Margaret Sayers Peden (Translator), Scott Brick (Reader)

Member:sjmccreary
Title:Captain Alatriste
Authors:Arturo Perez-Reverte
Other authors:Margaret Sayers Peden (Translator), Scott Brick (Reader)
Info:Plume (2005), Edition: Tra, Paperback, 304 pages
Rating:***1/2
Tags:Spain, 17th C, fiction, F/C Diego Alatriste, English prince, sword fighting, historical, Madrid

Captain Alatriste by Arturo Pérez-Reverte (1996)

English (54)  Spanish (8)  French (3)  All languages (65)
Good, old-fashioned swashbuckler--shades of Dumas or Sabatini. In 17th century Spain, Alatriste, an ex-soldier now turned sword-for-hire, is hired to do away with two Englishmen. Twists and turns of plot. Satisfactory denouement, leaving room for sequels. Sometimes the voice of Inigo, his page and the tale's narrator, is repetitious. Ambush scene very exciting. The novel was easy, light reading. ( )
  janerawoof | Jan 8, 2016 |
17th century tale involving sword for hire, Captain Alatriste. He agrees to a job involving British travelers. When the job falls apart, the Captain is on the run and in a little bit of trouble. A decent first novel in this series. Reminds me, for some reason, of the Clint Eastwood Spaghetti Westerns where the lead actor is a good guy at heart who kills when it's necessary. ( )
  Carmenere | Jan 4, 2016 |
A great holiday read. Easy reading, plenty of excitement and intrigue. I read the English version and thoroughly enjoyed it. ( )
  thejohnsmith | Jul 22, 2015 |
I liked this the least of all of Perez-Reverte's books; the twists were unremarkable and I knew what was coming long, long, long before it happened. I don't regret reading it but I doubt I'll look at anything else in this series. ( )
  eaterofwords | Nov 16, 2014 |
I read this book in English, because I thought the Spanish of maritime adventures of a captain might be too hard for me to understand. Well, I suppose I learned my lesson to look up the plot a bit more carefully before making such conclusions. Yes, Alatriste is a "captain" of sorts, but not a ship captain. Duh! The plot is a solid, simple intrigue, the characters well-done, the storyline is neither overly adventurous, nor too academic. For me, it was the right balance between action and historical fiction. For some, it may be too little action or plot, and for some too much history (though I cannot imagine how a few pages here and there about the state of Spanish-British-Dutch relations is too much, but hey, to each his own.) The narration from the point of view of the captain's page is a fresh perspective and at times aptly humorous.
With that said, I'll probably put the Captain Alatriste series on the "buy in an airport if in need of an easy, fun, good read" list and try some of the more formidable Reverte works... ( )
  bluepigeon | Dec 15, 2013 |

Arturo Pérez-Reverteprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Peden, Margaret SayersTranslatormain authorsome editionsconfirmed
D'Achille, GinoCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Was once a captain,
the story goes,
who led men in battle,
though in death's throes.
Oh, señores! What an apt man
was that brave captain!

E. Marquina
The Sun Has Set in Flanders
For our grandparents Sebastián, Amelia, Pepe and Cala: for life, books and memories.
He was not the most honest or pious of men, but he was courageous.

The novels of Arturo Pérez-Reverte have captivated readers around the world and earned him a reputation as “the master of the intellectual thriller” (Chicago Tribune). His books have been published in fifty countries. Now, beginning with Captain Alatriste, comes Pérez-Reverte’s most stunning creation to date: a riveting series featuring the adventures of an iconic hero.

Captain Alatriste is the story of a fictional seventeenth-century Spanish soldier who lives as a swordsman-for-hire in Madrid. Needing gold to pay off his debts, Alatriste and another hired blade are paid to ambush two travelers, stage a robbery, and give the travelers a fright. “No blood,” they are told.

Then a mysterious stranger enters to clarify the job: he increases the pay, and tells Alatriste that, instead, he must murder the two travelers. When the attack unfolds, Alatriste realizes that these aren’t ordinary travelers, and what happens next is only the first in a riveting series of twists and turns, with implications that will reverberate throughout the courts of Europe.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:14:58 -0400)

It is the height of Spain's celebrated golden century - but beyond the walls of the Royal Palace there is little on the streets of Madrid that glitters. The Invincible Armada has been defeated. The shadow of the Inquisition looms large. And the Thirty Years' War rages on in Flanders. When a courageous soldier of this war, Captain Diego Alatriste, is forced to retire after being wounded in battle, he returns home to live the comparatively tame - though hardly quiet - life of a swordsman-for-hire. In this dangerous city where a thrust of steel settles all matters, there is no stronger blade than Alatriste's.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 103,054,240 books! | Top bar: Always visible