Midnight for Charlie Bone by Jenny Nimmo

Midnight for Charlie Bone

by Jenny Nimmo

English (67)  German (2)  All languages (69)
This was a good middle grade read about magic and friends. It reminded me a lot of Harry Potter, which was good and bad. I liked the premise and Charlie and his best friend Benjamin, but I thought it was a bit of a rip off, but whatever. Charlie lives with his mom and aunts, one of whom treats him terribly. Charlie suddenly finds out he has powers and is sent off to a school for the "endowed." See what I mean? But, the mysteries Charlie and his friends investigate were fun and I liked Charlie's mom and uncle, who were nice and helped him. It was a quick read and well paced. ( )
  AlyP59 | Apr 25, 2019 |
It's a neat read. The writing is actually a lot younger than I anticipated so it made the book less enjoyable for me. The overall story is nice but also... I'm actually not sure how to say it. It was just a bit there. I'm not sure if this is usual for this level of children's reading but based on the other children's books I've read in the past, the book could do something more or rather give something more to its audience. It was still an interesting read, but it lacked something that made it slightly less than what it could've been. ( )
  spellbindingstories | May 24, 2018 |
Enjoyable but very forgettable. ( )
  benuathanasia | Dec 25, 2017 |
I bought it cause it looked like a Harry Potter knock off.
It's pretty funny.

I liked it. I read it a long time ago, so I don't remember everything. ( )
  Shahnareads | Jun 21, 2017 |
Is this series going anywhere? My son highly recommends it, but so far it's doing nothing for me.... ( )
  Cheryl_in_CC_NV | Jun 6, 2016 |
Another one for Myfanwy, with love
Long, long ago a king arrived in the north.

A magical fantasy that is fast-paced and easy-to-read. Charlie Bone has a special gift- he can hear people in photographs talking.

The fabulous powers of the Red King were passed down through his descendants, after turning up quite unexpectedly, in someone who had no idea where they came from. This is what happened to Charlie Bone, and to some of the children he met behind the grim, gray walls of Bloor's Academy.

Charlie Bone has discovered an unusual gift-he can hear people in photographs talking! His scheming aunts decide to send him to Bloor Academy, a school for genius's where he uses his gifts to discover the truth despite all the dangers that lie ahead.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:11:03 -0400)

Charlie Bone's life with his widowed mother and two grandmothers undergoes a dramatic change when he discovers that he can hear people in photographs talking.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,614,613 books! | Top bar: Always visible