Midnight for Charlie Bone by Jenny Nimmo

Midnight for Charlie Bone (edition 2007)

by Jenny Nimmo, Simon Russell Beale (Reader)

Member:foggidawn
Title:Midnight for Charlie Bone
Authors:Jenny Nimmo
Other authors:Simon Russell Beale (Reader)
Info:Listening Library (Audio) (2007), Edition: Unabridged, Audio CD
Collections:Read but unowned
Rating:***
Tags:JFIC, fantasy, audiobook, read march 2007

Midnight for Charlie Bone by Jenny Nimmo

English (67)  German (1)  All languages (68)
Similar to a Harry Potter read. Good for the younger fans of Potter. ( )
  add_dragon | Mar 26, 2016 |
3.5 stars. This review is also available on my blog, Read Till Dawn.

I picked this up at a book swap because, um, it was free so there wasn't exactly a lot of risk tied up in getting it. I kind of figured it would be a little too creepy for me (I mean, come on - that cover is strange!), but I figured I'd just give it a try anyway.

And I'm glad I did. I really loved Midnight for Charlie Bone, which was full of adventure and mystery and magical cats and, actually, not too much creepiness. Now was it cheesy in parts? Why, yes - Let's hear it for crazy, evil aunts! And evil headmasters! And mean bullies with terrible powers! But it's a good kind of cheesy, the kind that makes you not really mind the cliches and even manages to disguise them so well you don't realize you've seen them before.

I actually really loved this book, from Charlie's newfound talent for hearing pictures (just think about how cool that would be!) to his uncle's penchant for exploding light bulbs, to the dead-father-who's-probably-not-really-dead storyline (to be continued, of course), to Charlie's lonely best friend Benjamin and his dog Runner Bean, to the main storyline which I can't really discuss for fear of spoilers. There are a lot of little threads tied together to form the central narrative, and I really like each story individually as well as the unified story they come together to tell.

I already got the first sequel from the library, Charlie Bone and the Time Twister, which I liked okay but not as much as this one. It seemed a little bit less focused, like there wasn't really a point to it at all - and like if you pulled it out of the series, the narrative wouldn't really be changed that much. I'll probably get the third and fourth books from the library, and if they're better again I'll continue the series but otherwise I'll just drop it. I really enjoyed Midnight for Charlie Bone, but that doesn't mean I'll necessarily read all seven of its sequels. If you're interested to hear what I think of the entire series, comment below and I'll let you know once I've tried a few more books; otherwise, I probably won't wind up posting any more full-length reviews of the Charlie Bone books. ( )
  Jaina_Rose | Mar 1, 2016 |
Narrated by Simon Russell Beale. From jacket: "Charlie doesn't want to believe it when he discovers that he can hear people in photographs talking. But his horrible aunts are delighted--it means that he is one of the chosen and must attend Bloor's Academy for gifted children. Once there, Charlie realizes that some of his classmates have equally mysterious powers, and soon Charlie is involved in uncovering the mysterious past of one of them." Charlie learns that Amelia may be the baby he heard crying in a picture he got by mistake from the photo developers. His reclusive Uncle Peyton, also endowed with a special power of making light bulbs explode as he walks by, comes out of his shell to be Charlie's ally against Grandma Bone and the aunts. Harry Pottteresque story, right down to the Academy and magical powers, but stands alone as a series in its own right and not just a pretender.
  Salsabrarian | Feb 2, 2016 |
Is this series going anywhere? My son highly recommends it, but so far it's doing nothing for me.... ( )
  Cheryl_in_CC_NV | Apr 14, 2015 |
It's not harry Potter, really it's not! The young boy with the mean relatives only lost ONE of his parents in a mysterious car accident, and he's not a wizard, he's endowed, and the kids at the mysterious bording school get to go home for weekends... ok, it is kind of Harry Potter, or riding that bandwagon, anyway, but it's different, too. It's got a bit more of a mythic feel. Anyway, it was interesting enough that I'll be reading volume #2. ( )
  AmphipodGirl | Oct 14, 2014 |
Another one for Myfanwy, with love
Long, long ago a king arrived in the north.

A magical fantasy that is fast-paced and easy-to-read. Charlie Bone has a special gift- he can hear people in photographs talking.

The fabulous powers of the Red King were passed down through his descendants, after turning up quite unexpectedly, in someone who had no idea where they came from. This is what happened to Charlie Bone, and to some of the children he met behind the grim, gray walls of Bloor's Academy.

Charlie Bone has discovered an unusual gift-he can hear people in photographs talking! His scheming aunts decide to send him to Bloor Academy, a school for genius's where he uses his gifts to discover the truth despite all the dangers that lie ahead.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:11:03 -0400)

Charlie Bone's life with his widowed mother and two grandmothers undergoes a dramatic change when he discovers that he can hear people in photographs talking.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,852,735 books! | Top bar: Always visible