Midnight for Charlie Bone by Jenny Nimmo

Midnight for Charlie Bone (edition 2007)

by Jenny Nimmo, Simon Russell Beale (Reader)

Member:foggidawn
Title:Midnight for Charlie Bone
Authors:Jenny Nimmo
Other authors:Simon Russell Beale (Reader)
Info:Listening Library (Audio) (2007), Edition: Unabridged, Audio CD
Collections:Read but unowned
Rating:***
Tags:JFIC, fantasy, audiobook, read march 2007

Midnight for Charlie Bone by Jenny Nimmo

English (62)  German (1)  All languages (63)
Oh, if you liked Harry Potter you will like Charlie Bone! That's what people told me. Actually, the opposite is true. I love Harry Potter, so I can tell how derivative Charlie Bone is. It was published 5 years after Harry Potter, so you cant claim that Nimmo did not know Rowling's work. There is not that much suspense and little surprise in the book. One of the characters might be a werewolf -- oh, guess what, he is! And Nimmo is not half as good a writer as Rowling, so this book really has little to recommend it, and I'm just sorry I read the whole thing when I could have moved on to something more interesting. ( )
  Inky_Fingers | Jul 10, 2014 |
This novel is undeniably Harry Potter lite. Although aimed at a younger audience (and therefore a lot lighter and simpler in tone), it contains many aspects that have been clearly inspired by Rowling's series. The main character is verbally abused by cruel relatives, he attends a boarding school for gifted youngsters, werewolves, abnormally intelligent cats, talking pictures and a climax reminiscent of the Triwizard Tournament. Because of this, it suffers from the fact that I found myself endlessly comparing it to Harry Potter and finding that it was just a pale imitation.

Yet this did not prevent Charlie Bone from being an enjoyable novel in its own right. The pacing was excellent and it concluded satisfactory manner while still leaving enough open to make me curious as to where it will go next. It also presented a good mixture of magical and non-powered characters while succeeding in making the normal children still seem on equal footing to the more extraordinary.

While not all members of the cast are well fleshed out in this novel, I get the impression that they will be developed further in future volumes. I'm especially looking for this with regards to the villains, who seemed to have little motivation in this novel. I'm curious to discover what their motivations actually are.

All in all, it was a pretty sound children's book and would be a nice read for a child who loves fantasy but is maybe a little too young for Harry Potter. ( )
  ArkhamReviews | Jul 8, 2014 |
Not too impressed so far, but I will finish it out. Em is loving the series and I want to read at least one all the way through!
  MelissaZD | Jan 1, 2014 |
It was a really good book ,I thought it was cool that Charlie Bone could hear people talking in pictures.
  Livy2 | Oct 25, 2013 |
My daughter is reading these, after we picked up the first volume on holiday over the summer, so I thought I'd have a look. It's just a pity that modern writers of Children's fantasy can't write for toffee. Rowling and Nimmo can weave a story, yes, but it's so poorly written that I have trouble not focusing on the lousy grammar. Rowling is the worst offender here, but Nimmo has some flaws too. Give me Susan Cooper, Eleanor Cameron, John Christopher, or even C.S. Lewis without religious subtext any day. That said, the story has a chance of not being a flagrant knockoff of the Rowling universe, and I'll probably read at least the second one so as to keep up with my kids. ( )
  Bill_Bibliomane | Aug 1, 2013 |
Another one for Myfanwy, with love
Long, long ago a king arrived in the north.

A magical fantasy that is fast-paced and easy-to-read. Charlie Bone has a special gift- he can hear people in photographs talking.

The fabulous powers of the Red King were passed down through his descendants, after turning up quite unexpectedly, in someone who had no idea where they came from. This is what happened to Charlie Bone, and to some of the children he met behind the grim, gray walls of Bloor's Academy.

Charlie Bone has discovered an unusual gift-he can hear people in photographs talking! His scheming aunts decide to send him to Bloor Academy, a school for genius's where he uses his gifts to discover the truth despite all the dangers that lie ahead.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:32:20 -0400)

Charlie Bone's life with his widowed mother and two grandmothers undergoes a dramatic change when he discovers that he can hear people in photographs talking.

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,709,366 books! | Top bar: Always visible