Midnight for Charlie Bone by Jenny Nimmo

Midnight for Charlie Bone (edition 2007)

by Jenny Nimmo, Simon Russell Beale (Reader)

2,213None2,919 (3.77)39
Member:foggidawn
Title:Midnight for Charlie Bone
Authors:Jenny Nimmo
Other authors:Simon Russell Beale (Reader)
Info:Listening Library (Audio) (2007), Edition: Unabridged, Audio CD
Collections:Read but unowned
Rating:***
Tags:JFIC, fantasy, audiobook, read march 2007

Midnight for Charlie Bone by Jenny Nimmo

adventure (44) audiobook (14) boarding school (28) British (12) chapter book (11) Charlie Bone (50) children (23) Children of the Red King (30) children's (61) children's fiction (12) children's literature (12) England (17) family (10) fantasy (291) fiction (125) friendship (11) juvenile (21) juvenile fiction (18) magic (108) mystery (38) own (10) read (22) school (23) series (71) sff (12) T (10) to-read (15) YA (28) young adult (54) youth (9)

English (61)  German (1)  All languages (62)
Not too impressed so far, but I will finish it out. Em is loving the series and I want to read at least one all the way through!
  MelissaZD | Jan 1, 2014 |
It was a really good book ,I thought it was cool that Charlie Bone could hear people talking in pictures.
  Livy2 | Oct 25, 2013 |
My daughter is reading these, after we picked up the first volume on holiday over the summer, so I thought I'd have a look. It's just a pity that modern writers of Children's fantasy can't write for toffee. Rowling and Nimmo can weave a story, yes, but it's so poorly written that I have trouble not focusing on the lousy grammar. Rowling is the worst offender here, but Nimmo has some flaws too. Give me Susan Cooper, Eleanor Cameron, John Christopher, or even C.S. Lewis without religious subtext any day. That said, the story has a chance of not being a flagrant knockoff of the Rowling universe, and I'll probably read at least the second one so as to keep up with my kids. ( )
  Bill_Bibliomane | Aug 1, 2013 |
If you can't get enough of Harry Potter, then try this series. British boarding school, students have special powers, good struggles against evil. Great narration - perfect series to pick up over the summer. ( )
  jmoncton | Jun 3, 2013 |
Really good bedtime story, I really enjoyed reading it to my son and am looking forward to reading the rest of the series. Some similarities to Harry Potter, but a good read. My one problem was all the spelling mistakes and errors in it, really put me off when reading! ( )
  EmmaBTate | Apr 10, 2013 |
Another one for Myfanwy, with love
Long, long ago a king arrived in the north.

A magical fantasy that is fast-paced and easy-to-read. Charlie Bone has a special gift- he can hear people in photographs talking.

The fabulous powers of the Red King were passed down through his descendants, after turning up quite unexpectedly, in someone who had no idea where they came from. This is what happened to Charlie Bone, and to some of the children he met behind the grim, gray walls of Bloor's Academy.

Charlie Bone has discovered an unusual gift-he can hear people in photographs talking! His scheming aunts decide to send him to Bloor Academy, a school for genius's where he uses his gifts to discover the truth despite all the dangers that lie ahead.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:32:20 -0400)

Charlie Bone's life with his widowed mother and two grandmothers undergoes a dramatic change when he discovers that he can hear people in photographs talking.

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,438,690 books! | Top bar: Always visible