Starting Point 1979-1996 by Hayao Miyazaki

Starting Point 1979-1996 (edition 2009)

by Hayao Miyazaki

Member:othersam
Title:Starting Point 1979-1996
Authors:Hayao Miyazaki
Info:Viz Media, Subs. of Shogakukan Inc (2009), Hardcover, 461 pages

Starting Point: 1979–1996 by Hayao Miyazaki

Considering the nature of the book, a collection of articles and interviews, it is fragmented and redundant. But definitely recommended for Miyazaki-san's fans. Provides an insight into his mind and his work and creative process. ( )
  kasyapa | Oct 9, 2017 |
[A] full-bodied book of provocative thoughts and reminiscence from the still vital career of this animation genius.
added by Shortride | editBlogcritics, Bill Sherman (Aug 16, 2009)

Foreword
The Cat Bus and Pure Cinematic Magic

John Lasseter talks about Hayao Miyazaki
I first met Hayao Miyazaki-san about twenty years ago in Los Angeles.
On Creating Animation
Nostalgia for a Lost World

Gekkan ehon bessatsu: Animēshon (Animation: Monthly Picture Book Special), Subaru Shobō, March 1979
What animation is to me
If I were asked to give my view, in a nutshell, of what animation is, I would say that it is "whatever I want to create."
The information here (ex. 2009 publication date) pertains to the Cary and Schodt translation of Miyazaki's Starting Point and not to the original Japanese which was published in 1996 as Shuppatsu Ten, 1979–1996 in Japan by Tokuma Shoten [affiliated with Studio Ghibli]. The English translated version also does not have all the content included in the Japanese original (missing about 17 articles).

The first of a pair of memoirs in collection form, featuring essays, interviews, and even a brief comic on the history of airline food, from the master animator.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 130,822,967 books! | Top bar: Always visible