The Siren by Kiera Cass

The Siren

by Kiera Cass

The siren is a book about girl named Kahlen who has special powers her sisters and her all live a different life than most people. They cant talk to humans or be seen. They talk to the ocean and can never be sick. once a month all the sisters find one boat and sing there deadly songs which hipnotize the humans into walking into the sea. Kahlen falls for a human boy and cant live with out him. At the end of the book the ocean changes Kahlen back into a human so they can be together.

I absolutely loved this book it was so depreesing and romantic at the same time. I would definetly recomend this book. ( )
  lucyd.bg3 | Jun 2, 2017 |
Kahlen was given a second life by the Ocean 80 years ago. Saved from a shipwreck, she is in service for 100 years to the Ocean as one of her Sirens. Made to sing thousands to their death each year to sustain and feed the Ocean, Kahlen has resigned her time on her sentence to taking care of her sisters, completing her scrap books with all the people who have perished under her song, and most importantly, keeping to herself in the human world so as never to disclose her secret. Forbidden from speaking to humans lest their secret be reveled, many Sirens have had flings but none have ever had a relationship with a human, until now. Kahlen finds herself drawn to the human boy Akinli in a way she never thought possible. Torn between her growing affection for Akinli and her duties as a Siren, Kahlen finds herself in an impossible position, one which may have deadly consequences.
I was absolutely sucked into this story from page one. The ocean is always something that has seemed so wonderful and majestic while at the same time dark and dangerous and this book really captured that essence for me. Watching Kahlen and Akinli fall for each other in their brief snippets of time together was heart warming and endearing. Akinli stole my heart from the beginning with his mild mannered sweetness and playful disposition. Their separation and Kahlens subsequent heartbreak and torn loyalties was gut wrenching. My only complaint about the book as a whole was the Ocean as a character was very reminiscent of an abusive significant other at times and I sometimes had a hard time really feeling sorry for Her, even in the end. The possessive and fierce love She had for Kahlen was at times overpowering and frightening. Overall, this story was so well written, eloquently capturing the deadly beauty of the ocean and the powerful force of love. ( )
  courtneygiraldo | May 29, 2017 |
Kahlen is on a cruise with her family when they hear something outside, it was singing. They went outside, and had the sudden erge to jump into the water, and drown themselves, so they did. Right as Kahlen was about to die, she was saved by some girls, they told her that if she wanted to live, she would have to become one of them. so she did... She had to serve 100 years of killing people for the ocean. In those years she never aged, and it was impossible for her to get sick or hurt. After 80 years of living alone with the other girls, she meets a boy, Akinli. She falls in love with him, but knows that if the ocean found out, that she would kill him. So she kept it a secret.She keeps moving and trying to avoid him, but she just cant stop thinking about him.Once the ocean finds out though, she tells Kahlen that, unless she forgets about him, she will kill him or even her. After a few weeks though, she becomes very sick and so does Akinli. They realize that she is going to die, unless the ocean sets her free to be a normal person again. The ocean decides to set her free to save her. Once she is back with Akinli they both magically get better, and they live "happily ever after".

I really loved this book, because I could not put it down. I felt bad for Kahlen, and was mad at the ocean so many times, because I was so into it. When they both got sick, I thought for sure they would die, so I was very relieved when they didn't. ( )
  aivas.G1 | Mar 20, 2017 |
One of the best books in the world, it made me want to cry when I finished it. I'm not sure it is a perfect choice for boys, but for girls, this can easily become a favorite. With the tragic scenes it puts into your head, and the happy moments that make you smile. This book has showed me what a writer can do with beautiful and descriptive words. This book is one of a kind.

In this book by Kiera Cass, it shows how an eighteen year old girl is taken from her cruise boat and forced to work for the ocean, to use her voice to lure people into the water. Then how she stupidly falls in love with a regular boy and puts both of their lives in danger when she speaks to him. When the ocean agrees to let her live a normal life with the boy she fell in love with, her memory is wiped, and she is left at his doorstep, needing the help and love from the boy. ( )
  JuliaM.BG3 | Mar 13, 2017 |
Inspired by Little Mermaid in all the wrong ways-- Nothing admirable or even likable about the character and a lackluster love interest. The only thing I liked about it was that it was a quick read. Cass fans should stick with The Selection. ( )
  Kaytron | Feb 28, 2017 |

"'You must never do anything that might expose our secret. This means that, in general, you cannot form close bonds with humans. You can speak to us, and you can always commune with the Ocean, but you are deadly to humans. You are, essentially, a weapon. A very beautiful weapon. I won't lie to you, it can be a lonely existence, but once you are done, you get to live. All you have to give, for now, is obedience and time. . .' The same speech has been given hundreds of times to hundreds of beautiful girls who enter the sisterhood of sirens. Kahlen has lived by these rules for years now, patiently waiting for the life she can call her own. But when Akinli, a human, enters her world, she can't bring herself to live by the rules anymore. Suddenly the life she's been waiting for doesn't seem nearly as important as the one she's living now"--P. [4] of cover.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 115,168,477 books! | Top bar: Always visible