The Siren by Kiera Cass

The Siren

by Kiera Cass

202958,111 (3.6)1

Oh man, this is tough for me. I loved THE SELECTION and recommend it all the time to youth and adults alike. THE SIREN presented a few problems for me, though. I do not mind the light writing style and frothy subject matter. What bothered me were the unexplained technicalities of the Sirens themselves. They didn't really seem bothered they were essentially slaves to this mega ocean goddess. They can talk underwater. Etc etc. ( )
  amandacb | Apr 23, 2016 |
This was such a cute read!
I honestly love how Kiera Cass writes; she just makes you want to keep reading forever.
I felt the ending was a bit rushed, though. Maybe 20 more pages could have created a more "full" closure...
Still, this one will probably be one of my favorites this year. ( )
  LiindaSnow97 | Mar 8, 2016 |
Cute book. I can tell this was her first book despite being published after "The Selection" series. I have read both this book and that series. I think I liked "The Selection" series a bit more, as the characters in "The Siren" weren't as well developed. That being said, it was an interesting story and fun to read. It wasn't a bad book by any means. I'd recommend it if you like her other works, or if you just want a quick read full of interesting female characters. I also appreciated that it gave some depth to the construct of a siren that wasn't just your typical mythos. ( )
  thealtereggo | Mar 4, 2016 |
Kiera Cass has done it again! Another wonderful book! If you love ancient myths and you love a great romance. I loved the love story of Kahlen and Akinli! This book was awesome! ( )
  tori_hoffert | Feb 29, 2016 |
"How was I to know that out there, in the world I had once truly lived in, something as simple as an afternoon greeting could cause unimaginable devastation?" (opening excerpt from The Siren by Kiera Cass)

And so begins the story of Kahlen, a young woman recruited near death by Ocean to serve, along with her siren sisters until she has completed her years of duty in exchange for a second chance at life.

Kahlen's existence is a lonely one. She lives among humans but can only have the barest interactions with them for if a human was to hear her true voice, it would cause death. She and her sisters travel and explore the world wanting for nothing until they are called by Ocean to help her feed; their duty being to sing/lure humans to a watery grave.

While Ocean doesn't call them often, Kahlen dreads her duty and feels the loss of human life deeply. She longs to have a life full of love, companionship and she spends her time counting the hours until she can be free.

Then comes the fateful day when she meets Akinli and her world is turned upside down!

Post note: I purchased a Kindle version over a year ago for under $4.00. For some reason, at the time of this posting, the cost of this book has inflated tremendously ($95.00 dollars a copy) which is quite over inflated, in my opinion. Still, reasonably priced copies should be able to be found at a used book store, paperback swap or can be read for free through your local library. ( )
  mrsrenee | Jun 25, 2015 |

"'You must never do anything that might expose our secret. This means that, in general, you cannot form close bonds with humans. You can speak to us, and you can always commune with the Ocean, but you are deadly to humans. You are, essentially, a weapon. A very beautiful weapon. I won't lie to you, it can be a lonely existence, but once you are done, you get to live. All you have to give, for now, is obedience and time. . .' The same speech has been given hundreds of times to hundreds of beautiful girls who enter the sisterhood of sirens. Kahlen has lived by these rules for years now, patiently waiting for the life she can call her own. But when Akinli, a human, enters her world, she can't bring herself to live by the rules anymore. Suddenly the life she's been waiting for doesn't seem nearly as important as the one she's living now"--P. [4] of cover.… (more)

116 wanted3 pay4 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 617 books! | Top bar: Always visible