The Siren by Kiera Cass

The Siren (edition 2016)

by Kiera Cass (Author)

Kahlen is a Siren, bound to serve the Ocean by luring humans to watery graves with her voice, which is deadly to any human who hears it. Akinli is human, a kind, handsome boy who's everything Kahlen ever dreamed of. Falling in love puts them both in danger, but Kahlen can't bear to stay away. Will she risk everything to follow her heart?… (more)
Member:Marilyn95
Title:The Siren
Authors:Kiera Cass (Author)
Info:HarperTeen (2016), Edition: 3, 336 pages

The Siren by Kiera Cass

English (42)  Spanish (1)  All languages (43)
this book made me cry sooooo much! i love kahlen and akinli together, and it was as if i could see them falling in love right in front of my eyes. ( )
  kkgautamm | Aug 19, 2020 |
The best description for this book/series in 10 words or less:
"Imprisoned siren falls in love with boy so she rebels."

This book is basically a retelling of "The Little Mermaid," which is good but not the best fairy tale retelling I've read.

I love Greek mythology and this involves beautiful sea creatures who carry beautiful voices. The interesting part is that the sirens in this book not only have the ability to seduce men but also women to their deaths. I wasn't fond of the siren sentence since it is basically imprisonment for simply being at the wrong place at the wrong time. It does not seem so bad.

I enjoy Kahlen's character. She is very defiant but for good reason and has to learn how to fight for what she wants in life.

I really enjoyed that the setting was not in one specific place, which added a lot of diversity to the book and kept the reader on their toes.

There is a character with my name in the book, which I never see so I got really excited that I discovered it.

I loved how Aisling was the hidden rebel in all of this. She was able to try the Ocean that she left everything behind but actually managed to keep everything throughout the novel. The romance in the book seemed really cliche as Kahlen cannot live to be a siren since she has fallen for a human that she will not be able to see when her siren sentence is over.

There was a huge sisterhood sort of idea where the sirens helped each other get assimilated to each siren's new life. It's an aspect of young adult literature that is not seen very much.

Check out my review of The Siren on my blog at:

Check out other books in my personal library for reviews and recommendations:
https://literarymary.libib.com/ ( )
  Marilyn95 | Jul 15, 2020 |
I don’t often like stories with the premise of being centered around a romantic relationship. But, the story spent so much time on developing the characters and other relationships as well. A very beautiful and sad way of thinking of sirens and how they exist and interact. The ending had me in tears. It was truly touching. ( )
  Sara_Cat | Mar 21, 2020 |
3-3.5 stars

Kahlen is a Siren and is unable to speak to humans without luring them to their death so she chooses to distance herself from them. In comes Akinli, a sweet boy who is able to break through her defenses and makes her feel accepted. There was so much potential there but I'm sad to say I wasn't feeling the romance. It felt too rushed.
In addition to Kahlen there are a few other Sirens who serve the Ocean who is presented as a type of mother figure to the girls. The dynamic/relationship between the Sirens and the Ocean was interesting and I wish that had been expanded upon a bit.

While the first half was a bit too slow and uneventful for my tastes the rest certainly makes up for it. In fact, I really love how it ended.

The Siren is a good choice if you're looking for something light and quick to read. It was nice to be able to read and envision the ocean instead of the 2ft of snow surrounding me.

*ARC provided by HarperCollins in exchange for an honest review. ( )
  maebri | Mar 10, 2020 |
Quick read. I enjoyed this more than Kira Cass' later books. I hope she goes in this direction again. ( )
  Jonez | Oct 24, 2019 |
For Liz-
Because she’s the kind of girl who songs should be written about, poems should be composed for, and books should be dedicated to.
It’s funny what you hold on to, the things you remember when everything ends.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 150,916,381 books! | Top bar: Always visible