The Siren by Kiera Cass

Info:iUniverse (2009), Edition: 1st, Paperback, 276 pages
Rating:*****

The Siren by Kiera Cass

Actual Rating: 3.5 Stars

I enjoyed this book. However, it seemed lacking throughout the book and I felt it to be incomplete. I especially was not satisfied wit the ending. I felt like the book should have been longer and there needed to be more information on Siren's. All in all it was a short but sweet read. ( )
  Makkiah | May 19, 2016 |
In the book “The Siren”, the main character Kahlen and her roommates Elizabeth and Miaka are Sirens. Sirens are servants of the ocean, their job is to use their voices to sink ships and feed the ocean. They get a unexplainable beauty and one hundred years of immortality but they can not speak, for their voices are deadly to mortals until the one hundred years are up.. Now these Sirens don’t enjoy killing people but it has to be done so the ocean can continue to serve the world, a fraction of life to save the rest. So the ocean loves Kahlen and Kahlen loves the ocean, like mother and daughter. One day Kahlen ran into a boy named Akinli and soon falls in love with him. But the ocean doesn’t allow wives and mothers to serve because they would want to talk or rebel and risk their lives. So Kahlen moves away from him and hides her feelings for him deep inside so the ocean can’t see them. Then one day she snaps and runs away to Maine where Akinli was and she stayed with him for a couple of days. The day she promised herself she’d leave, he took her a cabin and asked her to stay with him and he would take care of her, and she agreed. As they kissed Kahlen was so blown away she actually spoke out loud and said “wow”. So he started trying to dive into the ocean and end his life which is what happens when a mortal hears a siren, so Kahlen begs the ocean to save his life which she does, but that means the Kahlen got an extra fifty years on her sentence. After a while Kahlen and Akinli become extremely sick without hearing each other's voices and the ocean lets her be with him and the other sirens volunteered to split the rest of the years she had left between themselves for Kahlen. So at the end of the book she becomes mortal and forgets everything that happened and who she was, but it didn’t matter because she got to live happily ever after with her true love, who would literally die, if they parted.
I really enjoyed this book. It was not what I expected and for such a dark kind of fairy tale, I really got connected to it. At first I thought that I wouldn’t really like it but it grew on me over time and I’m glad I chose it. One of the reasons I did choose this book was because I love this author, she is such a good writer and has some really good and interesting ideas. That is why I gave this book four stars. ( )
  tessal.b1 | May 14, 2016 |
I admit I’m in love with Kiera Cass’ Selection series, and I’m counting the days until the fifth and final book of her series is in my hands. I was pleased to see that my local bookstore had copies of her stand alone novel The Siren, another YA novel, but quite different from her bestselling series.

First things first, the cover. Just like her previous books, The Siren’s cover is beautiful and eye-catching. However, the story is a bit darker than her other books.

Kahlen is a siren living with two other sirens – Miaka and Elizabeth. They are daughters of the ocean and as such must fulfill their duties of luring people to their watery graves. However, they are forbidden to speak publicly, or to let other people hear their voices, unless the ocean commands them to. They pose as mute teenagers, trying their best to fit in and have fun while waiting for their 100 years of being a siren to be over. After which they will return to their normal self without any memory of ever being a siren.

Kahlen only has 20 more years left and then she will be free of the ocean’s curse. She is haunted by her guilt of killing innocent people, but then she meets handsome, kind and gentle Akinli. Suddenly, Kahlen’s world is turned upside down and she soon realizes what she’s willing to do to protect the one she loves.

I found the idea of sirens, how they become one, what they are tasked to do, how they live, very fascinating. The story also gives us a different take on the word “soulmates.” I liked the story of Kahlen and Akinli, but I wish there were more interactions between them to substantiate the intensity of their feelings. There were several chapters devoted to conflict build-up, so I wish there were a few more chapters devoted to the resolution.

I felt that the story ended so suddenly, I wanted more. Also, I was wondering where and how are the sirens getting money? Or did I totally miss that info?

That being said, the author’s witty and enthralling writing kept me turning pages, and I finished this book in one sitting. ( )
  VavaViolet | May 4, 2016 |
I’ve been reading a lot of fantasy lately and this one definitely threw me for a loop because it certainly wasn’t fantasy. Paranormal? That might be more fitting. I am always intrigued by an interesting premise, and boy did this novel have an interesting premise. However, I was somewhat disappointed by the fact that the interesting premise of being a siren, of being tied to the ocean wasn’t necessarily at the forefront. Yes, I know, it’s a romance and the romance will stand supreme, but I was interested in the outside aspects of the story.

The most interesting aspect of the story was the ocean, who was a character. I love when nature has a voice and can speak to a degree. I wish that more novels took advantage of what nature has to offer, because it is such a powerful part of our world. The ocean’s tie to the sirens is fascinating, and it was something that I had never considered before.

Kahlen was a character that I somewhat enjoyed, but she seemed to be stand-off-ish even to the readers. I like vulnerability as much as the next person, but she seemed so caught up in her own desire to be alone and depressed that I struggled at times to connect with her. I also wanted her to connect with her sisters more than she did and I felt like she gave them an unfair disadvantage more often than not. I like when the main characters have ties, especially strong ones, outside of their romantic relationships and I felt like this was especially lacking.

I like romance. I don’t like romance when it gets in the way of strong character building. I can’t imagine giving up my whole life for one guy, no matter how perfect for me he may appear to be. I would have liked to see Kahlen give up the siren life not because of her desire to be with Akinli, but because she hated the life to begin with. Why does love have to be the driving force???? I liked that Kahlen had a relationship beyond being a siren, but I didn’t want it to be the only thing in Kahlen’s life.

I liked some aspects of the novel and disliked some aspects of the novel. It was a very give-and-take relationship for me with this novel. ( )
  zeitgeistreviews | May 3, 2016 |
Oh man, this is tough for me. I loved THE SELECTION and recommend it all the time to youth and adults alike. THE SIREN presented a few problems for me, though. I do not mind the light writing style and frothy subject matter. What bothered me were the unexplained technicalities of the Sirens themselves. They didn't really seem bothered they were essentially slaves to this mega ocean goddess. They can talk underwater. Etc etc. ( )
  amandacb | Apr 23, 2016 |

"'You must never do anything that might expose our secret. This means that, in general, you cannot form close bonds with humans. You can speak to us, and you can always commune with the Ocean, but you are deadly to humans. You are, essentially, a weapon. A very beautiful weapon. I won't lie to you, it can be a lonely existence, but once you are done, you get to live. All you have to give, for now, is obedience and time. . .' The same speech has been given hundreds of times to hundreds of beautiful girls who enter the sisterhood of sirens. Kahlen has lived by these rules for years now, patiently waiting for the life she can call her own. But when Akinli, a human, enters her world, she can't bring herself to live by the rules anymore. Suddenly the life she's been waiting for doesn't seem nearly as important as the one she's living now"--P. [4] of cover.… (more)

149 wanted3 pay4 pay

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 108,340,329 books! | Top bar: Always visible