The Siren by Kiera Cass

Authors:Kiera Cass
Info:iUniverse (2009), Edition: 1st, Paperback, 276 pages
Rating:*****

The Siren by Kiera Cass

I LOVE Kiera Cass and I was so happy when I found out about this book. I was into it and, like all of her other books, I couldn't put it down. I wish I could give this book a 4.8 because of the way it ended. I was like "That's the end?"I really wish that there was a second book about her life after this book because the epilogue just made me mad. She was battling to see her love and then, when she finally got what she wanted, she forgot about him. I just really hope a novella following or something. I wasn't as please as I hoped I would be, but let's all be honest, nothing will top The Selection. ( )
  JennNM | Dec 5, 2016 |
I read the selection book, at least the first one, and wasn't blown away by it. However I thoroughly enjoyed this book! I like the fact that it was a twist on an old type a fairytale, and I loved the characters. ( )
  pickleroad | Nov 10, 2016 |
NOPE. Can't do it. DNF. ( )
  leahlo89 | Nov 2, 2016 |
The Siren by Kiera Cass. I ran across this book a few months ago on goodreads, after reading the blurb, I knew this was going to be epic. I would absolutely love to get my hands on a copy of the original 2009 publication to compare notes and because I am now a super fan, but they tend to be rather pricey and rare to come by.

I have this slight obsession with mythological creatures and books about them. Mermaids and Sirens are my top two faves!

I thought this would be strictly a romance, but it was so so much more. This is a story of friendship and sisterhood. True love and heartbreak. Loneliness and fulfilment. The connections between mother's and daughters. This book was such an emotional merry-go-round. I never knew what was going to happen next.

"She told me to live...I didn't know how to tell her that simply being alive was not enough to be called living."

This is the story of Kahlen. She is a siren. A servant to the ocean. Singing, along with her fellow siren sisters, to lure unsuspecting victims to their death. Hypnotizing them with their beautiful voices, leading them to their watery graves.

For hundreds of years the ocean has been taking lives and giving second chances to young beautiful women, willing to serve her for a hundred years in exchange for a second chance. The rules are simple, no talking to anyone other than your siren sisters and the ocean. You belong to the ocean. You must love and obey the ocean, and save yourself for only her. For one hundred years you will stay frozen in time, you won't age, or get sick or hurt. When your hundred years are up you will be given your life back, but remember nothing of you previous life or your time as a siren.

Kahlen is different from other sirens, she loves the ocean as she would her mother, and visits her often.
While her "sisters" embrace their beauty and immortality, by going out every night and taking lovers; Kahlen prefers to spend her time in solitude, often reading. She feels immense guilt and remorse over the lives her voice has taken and devotes much of her time studying the victoms and making scrapbooks in their honor. Having served 80 years of her 100 year sentence, she longs for the day her heart can be free to love and find companionship. She patiently bides her time, knowing that when the time is right and the stars align true love will find her. What she doesn't expect is that she will find her soulmate before her time is up...

Akinli and Kahlen hit it off immediately, he doesn't mind that the only way they can communicate with each other is through passing notes back and forth. He sees past her beauty and is interested in getting to know her for who she is. It doesn't take Kaheln long to realize she is falling for him and fears she is placing him in danger of facing the oceans wrath, so she and her sisters move away, so that she can finish her sentence in peace. But Kahlen's feelings run deep. Time is all Kahlen has but, when the unexpected happens, Kahlen is forced in a race against time and death. Will her love be enough to overcome a raging ocean? This is the story of how one girl tamed the untameable, loved when love was forbidden, and conquered time in the wake of death.

Whimsical. That's the word that comes to my mind when I think of this book. I knew instantly, before ever reading this book that I was going to love it, but I didn't know just how much. To call this book my favorite is an understatement, this story is something I will treasure forever in my heart. Something I will visit over and over again.

Kahlen. Sweet, spirited, courageous Kahlen. So many times I deeply connected with her character. Her fierce and selfless love she had for her sisters. Her willingness to put herself aside make sure they were happy. How deeply her heart ached, how she longed for a life she always wanted and never got to have. The love and hate she felt for the ocean, how she always returned to her for her guidance and acceptance. The way she felt for Akinli. She was sure and determined.

The bond she shared with her sisters was nothing short of pure and utter devotion. For 100yrs. These are the only friends and company they would have. The ties they had to one another are more than that of a sisterhood, it was almost as if they shared one heart, one soul and one mind and each one did the best they could to make sure the others didn't suffer.

The love story between Akinli and herself could be considered borderline insta-love, however it was built on more that physical attraction. The feelings they aquirred for one another stemmed from a deeper connection, the time they spent together, they spent talking or writing rather and simply learning more about one another. While the romance in this story is one major part, the story has so much more to offer.

The ocean, I loved the ocean. She loved her sirens fiercly, with a jealous yet forgiving love. She wanted them as well as needed them, but made sure they knew that thier existence depended completely on her. Her intentions for them were mostly good, but at times her love for them was overwhelming and suffocating. In the end though, it becomes clear that her heart truly lies with them and she just wants their loyalty.

I'm a very avid reader and it's not too often that a book comes along and enthralls me the way this one did.

This book was like everything and nothing that I expected. Enchanting, witty and beautifully woven together. Your heart will break and leap for joy all within the same paragraph. This one you don't want to miss out on! ( )
  alliecollins8488 | Oct 8, 2016 |
Actual Rating: 3.5 Stars

I enjoyed this book. However, it seemed lacking throughout the book and I felt it to be incomplete. I especially was not satisfied wit the ending. I felt like the book should have been longer and there needed to be more information on Siren's. All in all it was a short but sweet read. ( )
  Makkiah | May 19, 2016 |

"'You must never do anything that might expose our secret. This means that, in general, you cannot form close bonds with humans. You can speak to us, and you can always commune with the Ocean, but you are deadly to humans. You are, essentially, a weapon. A very beautiful weapon. I won't lie to you, it can be a lonely existence, but once you are done, you get to live. All you have to give, for now, is obedience and time. . .' The same speech has been given hundreds of times to hundreds of beautiful girls who enter the sisterhood of sirens. Kahlen has lived by these rules for years now, patiently waiting for the life she can call her own. But when Akinli, a human, enters her world, she can't bring herself to live by the rules anymore. Suddenly the life she's been waiting for doesn't seem nearly as important as the one she's living now"--P. [4] of cover.… (more)

149 wanted6 pay5 pay

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 110,804,060 books! | Top bar: Always visible