The Siren by Kiera Cass

Authors:Kiera Cass
Info:iUniverse (2009), Edition: 1st, Paperback, 276 pages
Rating:*****

The Siren by Kiera Cass

I’ve been reading a lot of fantasy lately and this one definitely threw me for a loop because it certainly wasn’t fantasy. Paranormal? That might be more fitting. I am always intrigued by an interesting premise, and boy did this novel have an interesting premise. However, I was somewhat disappointed by the fact that the interesting premise of being a siren, of being tied to the ocean wasn’t necessarily at the forefront. Yes, I know, it’s a romance and the romance will stand supreme, but I was interested in the outside aspects of the story.

The most interesting aspect of the story was the ocean, who was a character. I love when nature has a voice and can speak to a degree. I wish that more novels took advantage of what nature has to offer, because it is such a powerful part of our world. The ocean’s tie to the sirens is fascinating, and it was something that I had never considered before.

Kahlen was a character that I somewhat enjoyed, but she seemed to be stand-off-ish even to the readers. I like vulnerability as much as the next person, but she seemed so caught up in her own desire to be alone and depressed that I struggled at times to connect with her. I also wanted her to connect with her sisters more than she did and I felt like she gave them an unfair disadvantage more often than not. I like when the main characters have ties, especially strong ones, outside of their romantic relationships and I felt like this was especially lacking.

I like romance. I don’t like romance when it gets in the way of strong character building. I can’t imagine giving up my whole life for one guy, no matter how perfect for me he may appear to be. I would have liked to see Kahlen give up the siren life not because of her desire to be with Akinli, but because she hated the life to begin with. Why does love have to be the driving force???? I liked that Kahlen had a relationship beyond being a siren, but I didn’t want it to be the only thing in Kahlen’s life.

I liked some aspects of the novel and disliked some aspects of the novel. It was a very give-and-take relationship for me with this novel. ( )
  zeitgeistreviews | May 3, 2016 |
Oh man, this is tough for me. I loved THE SELECTION and recommend it all the time to youth and adults alike. THE SIREN presented a few problems for me, though. I do not mind the light writing style and frothy subject matter. What bothered me were the unexplained technicalities of the Sirens themselves. They didn't really seem bothered they were essentially slaves to this mega ocean goddess. They can talk underwater. Etc etc. ( )
  amandacb | Apr 23, 2016 |
This was such a cute read!
I honestly love how Kiera Cass writes; she just makes you want to keep reading forever.
I felt the ending was a bit rushed, though. Maybe 20 more pages could have created a more "full" closure...
Still, this one will probably be one of my favorites this year. ( )
  LiindaSnow97 | Mar 8, 2016 |
Cute book. I can tell this was her first book despite being published after "The Selection" series. I have read both this book and that series. I think I liked "The Selection" series a bit more, as the characters in "The Siren" weren't as well developed. That being said, it was an interesting story and fun to read. It wasn't a bad book by any means. I'd recommend it if you like her other works, or if you just want a quick read full of interesting female characters. I also appreciated that it gave some depth to the construct of a siren that wasn't just your typical mythos. ( )
  thealtereggo | Mar 4, 2016 |
Kiera Cass has done it again! Another wonderful book! If you love ancient myths and you love a great romance. I loved the love story of Kahlen and Akinli! This book was awesome! ( )
  tori_hoffert | Feb 29, 2016 |

"'You must never do anything that might expose our secret. This means that, in general, you cannot form close bonds with humans. You can speak to us, and you can always commune with the Ocean, but you are deadly to humans. You are, essentially, a weapon. A very beautiful weapon. I won't lie to you, it can be a lonely existence, but once you are done, you get to live. All you have to give, for now, is obedience and time. . .' The same speech has been given hundreds of times to hundreds of beautiful girls who enter the sisterhood of sirens. Kahlen has lived by these rules for years now, patiently waiting for the life she can call her own. But when Akinli, a human, enters her world, she can't bring herself to live by the rules anymore. Suddenly the life she's been waiting for doesn't seem nearly as important as the one she's living now"--P. [4] of cover.… (more)

116 wanted3 pay4 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,249,987 books! | Top bar: Always visible