Check out the Pride Celebration Treasure Hunt!

Raw Blue by Kirsty Eagar

Authors:Kirsty Eagar
Info:e-penguin (2009), Kindle Edition, 288 pages
Collections:Read in 2011
Rating:*****
Tags:giveaway-win, signed, contemporary, recommended, favorites, read-in-2011, ya

Raw Blue by Kirsty Eagar

Real, raw, painful and beautiful. If these are things you value in a book the way I do, you don't want to miss this. ( )
  chronic | Mar 23, 2017 |
I was so incredibly excited to win a copy of Raw Blue from Linds over at Bibliophile Brouhaha. (thanks Linds!!) She had raved about this book so much that I knew that I simply had to read it! Once I had read it though, I found that it is quite difficult to write a review about a book that feels like such an intimate, personal story. Its almost like reviewing someone’s journey to recovery, because that’s kind of what Raw Blue is.

After surviving a traumatic event at school, Carly, the main character, had completely disengaged from her life, quit going to University against her parents demands, moved away from everyone she knows, and began working an evening job as a cook simply to pay her bills so she could spend her days surfing along the beautiful Australian coast where she could lose herself and calm her mind and spirit. Despite her best efforts to keep everyone out, she finds herself with several unconventional friends, Danny a teenage boy who sees everything in colors, Hannah her Dutch salsa dancing neighbor, and Ryan a sexy surfer who was recently released from prison. Each plays a part as Carly slowly begins to put the pieces back together.

Raw Blue explores Carly’s journey as she tries to rebuild her life in the aftermath of a brutal assault. Kirsty Eagar unflinchingly recounts each painful moment in such an uncomfortably insightful way that I almost felt as if I was riding this emotional roller coaster alongside Carly. The details of the incident itself were shocking and disturbing, but not overdone in a way that was too much. The beauty of Raw Blue was in the depth of emotion that the author was able to convey with a simple and straightforward writing style, the incredible characters, and the relationship building and interaction between the characters. I loved each of the secondary characters, each one had their own interesting background that made me want to know more about them outside of their place in Carly’s world.

The story felt genuine and relatable with a definite “Aussie” tone. There were many purely Australian words and phrases that I wasn’t sure about the meaning, but it didn’t affect my overall enjoyment of the story. I highly recommend this to anyone who enjoys books that are intense and emotional and fans of YA Contemporary as well as Adult Contemporary. I definitely don’t see this as a purely Young Adult book. ( )
  a.happy.booker | Mar 14, 2014 |
the lonely Goodreads's star : Hey Sop, why you left me alone ?

Me : -_- don't talk with me

the lonely-red star : why ?

Me: I hate you and your own stupid book. it left me gloomy and depressed I just don't like it mate :|

the star: just put me a friend at least.

Me : No , I can't and won't..

the star : -_-

Me : :@ Go before I made you a half :P

star: you can't GD doesn't provide this half-starry service :P

Me : ...

Soplada | Feb 27, 2014 |

1 vote ahappybooker | Feb 7, 2014 |

ahappybooker | Feb 7, 2014 |

Carly has dropped out of uni to spend her days surfing and her nights working as a cook in a Manly café. Surfing is the one thing she loves doing ... and the only thing that helps her stop thinking about what happened two years ago. Then she meets Ryan and Carly has to decide ... Will she let the past bury her? Or can she let go of her anger and shame, and find the courage to be happy?

The ocean is a vivid emerald colour and the wind ruffles the wave faces so that they shatter the sunlight like glass. Seeing that glittering skin always tightens my throat with joy ... I forget about the underbelly of things, my secrets, and I feel easy and free. Ages 16+.… (more)

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,495,402 books! | Top bar: Always visible