Catching Fire by Suzanne Collins

Catching Fire (2009)

by Suzanne Collins

Series: The Hunger Games (2)

25,637135044 (4.24)1 / 857
    The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins (sarkisi_beyaz)
    Tomorrow, When The War Began by John Marsden (Anonymous user)
    Anonymous user: Fans of the Hunger Games might enjoy Marsden's tale of action, survival and growing up.
    Mockingjay by Suzanne Collins (djlewis)
    The Giver by Lois Lowry (jessicastatzer)
    Little Brother by Cory Doctorow (Awesomeness1)
    Unwind by Neal Shusterman (Anonymous user)
    The Other Side of the Island by Allegra Goodman (cransell)

English (1,315)  Spanish (6)  German (4)  Italian (4)  French (4)  Dutch (3)  Catalan (3)  Hungarian (2)  Romanian (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  Finnish (1)  Indonesian (1)  Danish (1)  All languages (1,346)
READ IN ENGLISH/DUTCH

Spoilers!!! Beware!!!

When I first read the Hunger Games in 2009 I really liked it, and couldn't wait for Catching Fire, which was by that time due in a few months. My sister and I bought the book as soon as possible.

I'd been wondering though what exactly would happen in this book and the one that turned out to be Mockingjay. One of the strengths of THG was in my opinion the arena and the 'actual' 74th Hunger Games.

So, when I found out we were in fact returning to the arena, I had some mixed feelings. I was glad, because that was what I liked the other time, but it also felt a bit as a device to 'never change a winning team'. I really liked the clock-arena though, I thought that was very clever.

I liked how, when President Snow is telling Katniss he's seen her with Gale, (and the television people have changed him into her cousin), he says something about her family 'and all those .... cousins.' Such a shame it didn't make the movie.

I liked that Gale was absent for the rest of the book :). I liked Finnick and his sarcasm. Then, what didn't I like? For me, the ending felt rushed and very confusing. I understand she was creating a cliffhanger of course, but I had to go back and reread in order to understand what she was doing, because so much happened in so few pages. Still, I really enjoyed reading this book, and even pre-ordered Mockingjay because of it. (It's the only book so far I've ever pre-ordered). ( )
  Floratina | Sep 25, 2014 |
If I'd reviewed this immediately after finishing it, I would have given it four stars. I enjoyed this one more than the first--I cared more about the characters this time and hadn't seen too many gif spoilers on tumblr so I was able to get more into the plot. I though the clock arena was very clever. But... with a few days of hindsight, I've cooled off a bit. I did still like it and am really looking forward to Mockingjay. However, I really don't care for the way so much agency is taken away from Katniss. I mean, obviously it's the Hunger Games and no one really has much anyway, but the way Haymitch and Peeta are so willing to emotionally manipulate her to save her life.. It's all very Moffat-era Doctor Who. And because there wasn't much (or any?) foreshadowing of the arena breakout plan, it came off as very deus ex machina-y.
ETA reading Mockingjay reminded me of how much I actually liked this series. I don't really have coherent thoughts, but I really liked the look into the propaganda/manipulation side of war. It's psychological warfare. ( )
  | Sep 23, 2014 | edit |
On starting Catching Fire my first desire was to find out how Gale’s relationship with Katniss would change upon reuniting. I was very surprised when the first paragraphs summarised the months following her return with only a few lines about Gale. I had to wait until much later for a face-to-face with him. I was not pleased.

The scene with President Snow dropping by the house to warn Katniss that her actions had consequences was creepy. His breath smelled of blood, ew! By taking away her choices and forcing Katniss to marry Peeta he made things worse by making Katniss more and more likeable to the people even if it made her seem less defiant. Making the Victors of past Hunger Games compete in the Quarter Quell Hunger Games was an unbelievably stupid move, instantly making martyrs of the district champions. History really must have been rewritten if he couldn't see the mistakes he was making.

As for Peeta, I still can't see him with Katniss she belongs with Gale. They were strangers forced together who became allies in order to survive though that is pushing it as Katniss was keeping Peeta alive in both Games. The only things Peeta contributed were the lies to get good sponsors and to keep them both safe, and companionship - and I suppose his self-sacrificing nature when it comes to Katniss. In the real world, Gale is the one for her.

I think Haymitch was stupid to not inform Katniss of what was going on. I can understand not telling Peeta but Katniss could have saved Peeta from the Capitol, no wonder she tried to scratch his eyes out.

If I was President Snow I would torture Peeta for information on the rebellion and then kill him. There isn't a lot Snow could want from Katniss to use him as bait. It's too late to stop the uprisings, her defiance at the first games was the straw that broke the camel's back as it were - they weren't her fault. She may be a symbol for the rebellion but they aren't just fighting for her they're fighting for their right to keep their children safe. Even if Snow managed to lure her into a trap and tortured and killed her in public or private I doubt the uprisings would end, it would only encourage them to keep fighting so why keep Peeta alive? The same goes for Cinna though he may have brought his fate upon himself by being so brazen in his defiance, instantly turning Katniss's wedding dress into a funeral gown on stage in front of everyone.

As for District 12, well Snow can't bomb all of the districts can he? Where will the Capitol get food and clothing and those items necessary for survival? Who would he rule if he kills off all of the people? Some have all ready shown that they are willing to die for the cause. I'm looking forward to seeing District 13, I wonder if Bonnie and Twill made it there.

I may be biased in all of this because I do love Gale. I hope she lets him know she's not pregnant, not even close in fact so they can get closer. She chose him in book one and book two so I hope she chooses him again in book three. ( )
  Cynical_Ames | Sep 23, 2014 |
It's pretty much a universal truth that in a trilogy, if things are bad in the first book, they have to get much, much worse in the second. And oh, it does. At one point I stopped reading this book to tell my husband that regardless of whether he ever decided to read The Hunger Games or not, he should probably never read this one.

Okay, there is no meaningful way to talk about this volume without some spoilers, so I'm just going to have to put the spoiler flag on this one. So, Katniss returns home and instead of things being sparkly and shiny for the heroic new victors, things are mostly crap. Indeed, they are a heightened, more deadly form of crap. Peeta is mad at her when he discovers she was "performing" at the games, Gale is mostly cold and distant, the district's formerly lax security has been replaced by a totalitarian police state, and then they announce the Quarter Quell -- an extra special craptastic Games with new and different rules that happens every 25 years. 25 years ago, Haymitch won a Quarter Quell where every district had to send two boys and two girls. This time, tributes will be chosen from each district from their pool of past victors.

Katniss is the only female victor from District 12.

Katniss will play the games again.

So here the shit storm fires up again. Only this time, there will be no two victors surviving. Here we are, meeting all the tributes who are no longer fresh-faced newbies, but rather war-worn Victors. Most of them seem quite clear that winning the Games will not buy them a life of sunshine and roses. Many seem aware that some form of revolt is brewing in some districts. Almost all have seen increased crackdowns and violence at home as a result. And I'm left tearing out my hear and thinking, "Then why, oh why, are you all still playing along?"

This is a hard book to read. Katniss seems to spend most of the book in some state of shock or another. From each new blow she reels, angry then numb, determined then despairing. And wouldn't you be? At her age, if I could have had half her composure, even in the face of high school... Okay, that may be exaggerating, but I am still irritated by the critiques that suggest her behavior was flawed, weak, anti-feminist, not just human.

The ending is a little hand of God, but it propels you into the next book, where it mostly makes sense.

Very good book. I don't know how they're going to make that movie. ( )
  greeniezona | Sep 20, 2014 |
It has been about two years now I've read the first book in The Hunger Games trilogy, and my opinion on it is pretty much the same one as in Catching Fire.
The whole premise of this series is clearly something else, despite being advertised as a romantic story, HG is a dystopian that truly makes you think.
In this second part of the story, we get to experience the effect Katniss and Peeta's ''revolution'' had on the Districts. It is of course, remarkable, and the Capitol needs to do something about it.
This will be a spoiler-free version so I won't be getting on details but our ''couple'' is faced with more and more obstacles. Overall, the important thing is the safety of their families and Gale. But protecting them will be harder than then ever thought.
I am not a fan of Suzanne Collins' writing, I don't know why but there's just something I can't appreciate. However, I praise her for this fantastic story. ( )
  sarafwilliams | Sep 13, 2014 |
Collins has done that rare thing. She has written a sequel that improves upon the first book. As a reader, I felt excited and even hopeful: could it be that this series and its characters were actually going somewhere?

Set down your worries about a sophomore slump. Suzanne Collins has rekindled the crackling tension of her 2008 smash novel, "The Hunger Games." Once again, Katniss Everdeen must fight for her life.
added by stephmo | editPlain Dealer, Rollie Welch (Sep 6, 2009)

The author describes her wearing a series of Cher-worthy costumes in which she confronts poisonous mists, deranged monkeys, and a flock of ''candy pink'' birds equipped with long beaks used to skewer human necks. Great stuff, this. Unfortunately, such startling apparitions too quickly appear and disappear, baubles randomly affixed to a story that's been stretched to gossamer thinness.

Collins, Suzanneprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
McCormick, CarolynNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Ramírez Tello, PilarTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For my parents,
Jane and Michael Collins,
and my parents-in-law,
Dixie and Charles Pryor
I clasp the flask between my hands, even though the warmth from the tea has long since leached into the frozen air.
Dál svírám v dlaních polní láhev, ačkoliv všechno teplo z čaje už dávno vyprchalo do mrazivého vzduchu. Svaly mi tuhnou chladem. Kdyby se teď objevila smečka divokých psů, těžko bych stihla vyšplhat na strom, než na mě zaútočí. Měla bych se zvednout, protáhnout se a rozhýbat si končetiny. Místo toho ale zůstávám sedět, stejně nehybná jako skála pode mnou. Lesní tmu zvolna projasňuje svítání. Se sluncem se nedá bojovat. Mohu pouze bezmocně sledovat, jak signalizuje příchod dne, jehož se už měsíce děsím.
As far as I can tell, they never get up before noon unless there's some sort of national emergency, like my leg hair.
SPARKS ARE IGNITING.
FLAMES ARE SPREADING.
AND THE CAPITOL WANTS REVENGE.

Against all odds, Katniss has won the Hunger Games. She and fellow District 12 tribute Peeta Mellark are miraculously still alive. Katniss should be relieved, happy even. After all, she has returned to her family and her longtime friend, Gale. Yet nothing is the way Katniss wishes it to be. Gale holds her at an icy distance. Peeta has turned his back on her completely. And there are whispers of a rebellion against the Capitol — a rebellion that Katniss and Peeta may have helped create.

Much to her shock, Katniss has fueled an unrest she's afraid she cannot stop. And what scares her even more is that she's not entirely convinced she should try. As time draws near for Katniss and Peeta to visit the districts on the Capitol's cruel Victory Tour, the stakes are higher than ever. If they can't prove, without a shadow of a doubt, that they are lost in their love for each other, the consequences will be horrifying.

Katniss and Peeta
Fight the odds once again, but
Rebellion's afoot.
(passion4reading)

Against all odds, Katniss Everdeen has won the annual Hunger Games with fellow district tribute Peeta Mellark. But it was a victory won by defiance of the Capitol and their harsh rules. Katniss and Peeta should be happy. After all, they have just won for themselves and their families a life of safety and plenty. But there are rumors of rebellion among the subjects, and Katniss and Peeta, to their horror, are the faces of that rebellion. The Capitol is angry. The Capitol wants revenge.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:25:48 -0400)

By winning the annual Hunger Games, District 12 tributes Katniss Everdeen and Peeta Mellark have secured a life of safety and plenty for themselves and their families, but because they won by defying the rules, they unwittingly become the faces of an impending rebellion.… (more)

Three editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,970,477 books! | Top bar: Always visible