Check out the Pride Celebration Treasure Hunt!

Vlammen by Suzanne Collins

Vlammen (edition 2013)

by Suzanne Collins, Maria Postema (Translator)

34,943162234 (4.2)1 / 933
Member:Tinwara
Title:Vlammen
Authors:Suzanne Collins
Other authors:Maria Postema (Translator)
Info:Houten : Van Goor (2013), 351 p, 17e druk
Rating:**1/2
Tags:fiction, dystopia, adventure, read in 2013

Catching Fire by Suzanne Collins

The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins (sarkisi_beyaz)
    Mockingjay by Suzanne Collins (djlewis)
    Tomorrow, When The War Began by John Marsden (Anonymous user)
    Anonymous user: Fans of the Hunger Games might enjoy Marsden's tale of action, survival and growing up.
    The Giver by Lois Lowry (jessicastatzer)
    Little Brother by Cory Doctorow (Awesomeness1)
    Divergent by Veronica Roth (Morteana)
    The Other Side of the Island by Allegra Goodman (cransell)
    Unwind by Neal Shusterman (Anonymous user)

English (1,583)  Spanish (8)  German (7)  Italian (5)  French (4)  Dutch (3)  Catalan (3)  Hungarian (2)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  Romanian (1)  Indonesian (1)  Finnish (1)  Danish (1)  All languages (1,620)
I loved this book! Prior to reading it, I had been warned that it is pretty slow in the beginning, but the ending is great. I disagree, I was enthralled from the beginning to the end.

I was worried that there would be too much of Katniss/Peeta/Gale love triangle stuff. But there wasn't. I loved the winners tour through the district. I liked how the tension kept building through the book about a possible rebellion, and the President's feelings towards Katniss.

I flew through this book. Once I started reading, I didn't want to put it down. ( )
  readingover50 | Jun 11, 2019 |
This might not be a super solid four stars, but it was better than book one for me. I think mainly because I was more attached to the characters. Though there were times when I was thinking, "Come on! Seriously?" Reminding me of that sadistic bastard Thomas Hardy who couldn't let even one good thing happen to Tess. I also had suspected all along that you-know-who with the fancy watch had more to him than what you saw right then...(Hopefully that was detail enough for some to understand and yet vague enough not to be a "spoiler". Whatever, I tried.)

I was driving to work today (before dawn) and there was this homeless man riding his bike, pulling a cart laden with crap. It was overflowing with empty plastic bags and bits of wire, aluminum cans; all of the things that you and I discard. I thought to myself, "Wow, you know there are people actually living like this today!" Not fighting each other to the death in an arena, but trying to survive on whatever they can find. Again, not because they are thrown there by their government, but you get what I'm saying right? Sometimes it's too easy to see this as science fiction in my comfy little suburban life, worrying about what dishwasher to buy or if we should get a shell for the new truck. But, there are a lot of folks right now surviving every day by their wits and what they can find. Sobering thought.

I wish she hadn't named Peeta, Peeta. I can't help craving hummus all through the book. Pita! ( )
  Amelia1989 | Jun 10, 2019 |
It took me about a 1/3 of the book to get hooked and then it flew by in a snap. One reason I picked up the series was that a lot of friends said, "You gotta read it, Katniss is a feminist hero." Well I'm not sold on her being a feminist hero yet. In the first book, she was pretty kick ass. But in this book, she's more whiny than kick ass. She also does not seem to have any agency of her own. She's alienated herself from her mother and sister (whom, I suspect is pretty kick ass herself) and longs to please one of the three men in her life. Which one, she's still not sure. Off to get the third book so I know how this ends and get ready for the movie. Still a pretty good read. But I wouldn't put Katniss up in the same group as Ripley, Xena or Buffy yet. And Buffy is queen of the whiners!
  roniweb | May 30, 2019 |
Still pretty fun, though I was annoyed when they sent Katniss and Peeta back to the games - it seemed a little lazy. Otherwise, it was another made for tv roller coast ride. ( )
  cindywho | May 27, 2019 |
I enjoyed the series, moderately, when I read it three years ago. This second book continued the critique of the Bread and Circuses system, shown in the first book, that pulls resources from the Global South (i.e. particularly Districts 10, 11 and 12) to the developed former colonializing nations (Capitol), still protraying the USA as imperial Rome.

This second book brings into relief the details of the Roman Gladiatorial system, which readers and viewers may not identify with modern life. Perhaps football players and ballerinas 'ruining their bodies for the entertainment of others' comes to mind, similar to the most popular gladiators in Ancient Rome.

But, the revolutionary scenario neglects the difficulties of persuading the elites and semi-elites, Districts 1 and 2 being like some developing countries in terms of rising access to resources, and Gramscian alliances with the Capitol to prevent revolution in the first place.

Overall, while appreciating the references to PTSD, I found the second book more of a thriller than the first book, and a bit less interesting.
ShiraDestinie
U.N. Date: Monday, October 23, 12014 H.E. (Holocene/Human Era) ( )
  FourFreedoms | May 17, 2019 |
Collins has done that rare thing. She has written a sequel that improves upon the first book. As a reader, I felt excited and even hopeful: could it be that this series and its characters were actually going somewhere?

The author describes her wearing a series of Cher-worthy costumes in which she confronts poisonous mists, deranged monkeys, and a flock of ''candy pink'' birds equipped with long beaks used to skewer human necks. Great stuff, this. Unfortunately, such startling apparitions too quickly appear and disappear, baubles randomly affixed to a story that's been stretched to gossamer thinness.

Collins, Suzanneprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
For my parents,
Jane and Michael Collins,

and my parents-in-law,
Dixie and Charles Pryor
I clasp the flask between my hands, even though the warmth from the tea has long since leached into the frozen air.
As far as I can tell, they never get up before noon unless there's some sort of national emergency, like my leg hair.
SPARKS ARE IGNITING.
FLAMES ARE SPREADING.
AND THE CAPITOL WANTS REVENGE.

Against all odds, Katniss has won the Hunger Games. She and fellow District 12 tribute Peeta Mellark are miraculously still alive. Katniss should be relieved, happy even. After all, she has returned to her family and her longtime friend, Gale. Yet nothing is the way Katniss wishes it to be. Gale holds her at an icy distance. Peeta has turned his back on her completely. And there are whispers of a rebellion against the Capitol — a rebellion that Katniss and Peeta may have helped create.

Much to her shock, Katniss has fueled an unrest she's afraid she cannot stop. And what scares her even more is that she's not entirely convinced she should try. As time draws near for Katniss and Peeta to visit the districts on the Capitol's cruel Victory Tour, the stakes are higher than ever. If they can't prove, without a shadow of a doubt, that they are lost in their love for each other, the consequences will be horrifying.
Katniss and Peeta
fight the odds once again, but
rebellion's afoot.
(passion4reading)

Against all odds, Katniss Everdeen has won the annual Hunger Games with fellow district tribute Peeta Mellark. But it was a victory won by defiance of the Capitol and their harsh rules. Katniss and Peeta should be happy. After all, they have just won for themselves and their families a life of safety and plenty. But there are rumors of rebellion among the subjects, and Katniss and Peeta, to their horror, are the faces of that rebellion. The Capitol is angry. The Capitol wants revenge.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:07:14 -0400)

By winning the annual Hunger Games, District 12 tributes Katniss Everdeen and Peeta Mellark have secured a life of safety and plenty for themselves and their families, but because they won by defying the rules, they unwittingly become the faces of an impending rebellion.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,501,769 books! | Top bar: Always visible