Catching Fire by Suzanne Collins

Catching Fire (edition 2009)

by Suzanne Collins

30,105153730 (4.22)1 / 914
Member:MeganWinslow
Title:Catching Fire
Authors:Suzanne Collins
Info:Scholastic Press (2009), Edition: 1st, Hardcover, 391 pages
Rating:*****

Catching Fire by Suzanne Collins

English (1,502)  Spanish (8)  German (5)  Italian (4)  French (4)  Dutch (3)  Catalan (3)  Hungarian (2)  English (1)  Romanian (1)  Finnish (1)  Indonesian (1)  Danish (1)  English (1,536)
As Katniss goes home and tries to return to her normal life she begins to realize the consequences of her actions in the games.

She and Peeta are brought back into the Arena again.

Katniss isn't very smart when it comes to people.

I look forward to the next book. ( )
  nx74defiant | Dec 3, 2016 |
I read the second one too? ( )
  oswallt | Nov 25, 2016 |
As simplistic as the writing is this is one of those books, much like the first one, that I just could NOT put down. I read this in one sitting and am left desperately wanting more. ( )
  Heather_Brock | Nov 23, 2016 |
I can't wait for the next one. But it seemed like the author patially copied The Ugly Series. I loved it but I would have wanted to find out how that bowl went. I can't believe they blew up ________ __! I can't write what happened or it'd give it away. I loved this book! ( )
  Brinlie.Jill.Searle | Nov 22, 2016 |
By far of the Hunger Games series, Catching Fire was the best one. In the MockingJay they she tried to make it something it wasn't. in the first Hunger Games it was Katniss against the world, she is so refreshingly different. Catching Fire is about the team. It gives you more of all the things you were hoping to see develop. She dedicates a fair amount of time to Gale. For once he's not just some poor guy desperate for the main gal. Instead Gale is the one who seems the better choice for her, and Peeta is the one vying for her love. What is amazing is how Collins actually managed to create a story that reads so utterly gripping and original. A lot of books and stories these days are very predictable, that isnot the case here. As Katniss and her fellow tributes began the "games", it was very hard to put down the book even for short breaks. I tried to figure out what motives the different characters had and whether they were trustworthy or not. I think my favorite part of the book is the characters. None of them are perfect, least of all Katniss, but that gives them some depth and over the course of the books, Collins gives her characters room to develop and shows the impact of the story on the different personalities, not just the violence and cruelty they are faced with but also the influence of friendships and acts of kindness they witness. ( )
1 vote Biglee821 | Nov 10, 2016 |
Collins has done that rare thing. She has written a sequel that improves upon the first book. As a reader, I felt excited and even hopeful: could it be that this series and its characters were actually going somewhere?

Set down your worries about a sophomore slump. Suzanne Collins has rekindled the crackling tension of her 2008 smash novel, "The Hunger Games." Once again, Katniss Everdeen must fight for her life.
added by stephmo | editPlain Dealer, Rollie Welch (Sep 6, 2009)

The author describes her wearing a series of Cher-worthy costumes in which she confronts poisonous mists, deranged monkeys, and a flock of ''candy pink'' birds equipped with long beaks used to skewer human necks. Great stuff, this. Unfortunately, such startling apparitions too quickly appear and disappear, baubles randomly affixed to a story that's been stretched to gossamer thinness.

Collins, Suzanneprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
For my parents,
Jane and Michael Collins,

and my parents-in-law,
Dixie and Charles Pryor
I clasp the flask between my hands, even though the warmth from the tea has long since leached into the frozen air.
As far as I can tell, they never get up before noon unless there's some sort of national emergency, like my leg hair.
SPARKS ARE IGNITING.
FLAMES ARE SPREADING.
AND THE CAPITOL WANTS REVENGE.

Against all odds, Katniss has won the Hunger Games. She and fellow District 12 tribute Peeta Mellark are miraculously still alive. Katniss should be relieved, happy even. After all, she has returned to her family and her longtime friend, Gale. Yet nothing is the way Katniss wishes it to be. Gale holds her at an icy distance. Peeta has turned his back on her completely. And there are whispers of a rebellion against the Capitol — a rebellion that Katniss and Peeta may have helped create.

Much to her shock, Katniss has fueled an unrest she's afraid she cannot stop. And what scares her even more is that she's not entirely convinced she should try. As time draws near for Katniss and Peeta to visit the districts on the Capitol's cruel Victory Tour, the stakes are higher than ever. If they can't prove, without a shadow of a doubt, that they are lost in their love for each other, the consequences will be horrifying.

BL: 5.3 - AR Pts: 16.0
Katniss and Peeta
Fight the odds once again, but
Rebellion's afoot.
(passion4reading)

Against all odds, Katniss Everdeen has won the annual Hunger Games with fellow district tribute Peeta Mellark. But it was a victory won by defiance of the Capitol and their harsh rules. Katniss and Peeta should be happy. After all, they have just won for themselves and their families a life of safety and plenty. But there are rumors of rebellion among the subjects, and Katniss and Peeta, to their horror, are the faces of that rebellion. The Capitol is angry. The Capitol wants revenge.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:07:14 -0400)

By winning the annual Hunger Games, District 12 tributes Katniss Everdeen and Peeta Mellark have secured a life of safety and plenty for themselves and their families, but because they won by defying the rules, they unwittingly become the faces of an impending rebellion.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 110,686,025 books! | Top bar: Always visible