Catching Fire by Suzanne Collins

Catching Fire (original 2009; edition 2009)

by Suzanne Collins

26,326137242 (4.23)1 / 874
Member:MeganWinslow
Title:Catching Fire
Authors:Suzanne Collins
Info:Scholastic Press (2009), Edition: 1st, Hardcover, 391 pages
Rating:*****

Catching Fire by Suzanne Collins (2009)

The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins (sarkisi_beyaz)
    Tomorrow, When The War Began by John Marsden (Anonymous user)
    Anonymous user: Fans of the Hunger Games might enjoy Marsden's tale of action, survival and growing up.
    Mockingjay by Suzanne Collins (djlewis)
    The Giver by Lois Lowry (jessicastatzer)
    Little Brother by Cory Doctorow (Awesomeness1)
    Unwind by Neal Shusterman (Anonymous user)
    The Other Side of the Island by Allegra Goodman (cransell)

English (1,336)  Spanish (6)  German (4)  Italian (4)  French (4)  Dutch (3)  Catalan (3)  Hungarian (2)  Romanian (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  Finnish (1)  Indonesian (1)  Danish (1)  All languages (1,367)
I enjoyed this more than the first book, and consumed it as if the damned thing had caught fire. For some reason, the increased threat of the Capitol seemed to add a greater depth or maybe I felt more comfortable in my surroundings. It could even be that the first book felt like a pale shadow of the movie, where the existence of characters outside Katniss's viewpoint seemed to offer so many more satisfying layers. Perhaps, if done well, the move of 'Catching Fire' will also pale the written version?

Anyway - while I liked it better than the first, I found the final dozen pages rushed and disappointing. The cascade of events in the final moments left me as bewildered as the characters involved and demanding more. It felt like a rushed overload of final thoughts, a plot synopsis instead of a story - a cascade of exposition told through a muddle viewpoint. I'd almost mark those pages down to 2- or 3-stars because they didn't measure up to how I felt about the rest of the book.

Recommended, nevertheless, for any reader who enjoys some escapist fun. ( )
  PaulBaldowski | Jan 24, 2015 |
I thought the first and third books in the trilogy were excellent. This one was okay, but I thought it dragged. ( )
  EveGaddy | Jan 12, 2015 |
My Review: Unlike the first book in this series I found I was able to read this book much faster. And although she recounts several key elements of the story from the first book in this one (in case for some reason you are choosing to skip the first book and start in the middle, which I never recommend when reading a trilogy) it doesn’t seem repetitive at all.

The book begins only a few weeks (at the most) from where the first book ends. A bit of a non-spoiler here, but all of those we’d consider “main characters” live so they are all recurring in this book. Of course there are Hunger Games in this book, with a bit extra since this happens to be the 75th anniversary of said games! At every quarter mark (called the Quarter Quell) there is a little more excitement as to what happens during the games. At the 50th anniversary, there were double the amount of tributes sent into the games. If you thought 23 deaths were bad (with one survivor) imagine how well 47 deaths were? And the winner of that year just so happens to be the mentor for both Katniss and Peeta (our main characters and one sided love birds).

Read the rest of my review here. ( )
  ericadrayton | Jan 8, 2015 |
Continuing with the series - not quite as absorbing as the first book, but definitely full of twists, turns, and unanticipated events. I've already started the next and last book of the series. ( )
  Nancy_Archdekin | Jan 4, 2015 |
READ IN ENGLISH/DUTCH

Spoilers!!! Beware!!!

When I first read the Hunger Games in 2009 I really liked it, and couldn't wait for Catching Fire, which was by that time due in a few months. My sister and I bought the book as soon as possible.

I'd been wondering though what exactly would happen in this book and the one that turned out to be Mockingjay. One of the strengths of THG was in my opinion the arena and the 'actual' 74th Hunger Games.

So, when I found out we were in fact returning to the arena, I had some mixed feelings. I was glad, because that was what I liked the other time, but it also felt a bit as a device to 'never change a winning team'. I really liked the clock-arena though, I thought that was very clever.

I liked how, when President Snow is telling Katniss he's seen her with Gale, (and the television people have changed him into her cousin), he says something about her family 'and all those .... cousins.' Such a shame it didn't make the movie.

I liked that Gale was absent for the rest of the book :). I liked Finnick and his sarcasm. Then, what didn't I like? For me, the ending felt rushed and very confusing. I understand she was creating a cliffhanger of course, but I had to go back and reread in order to understand what she was doing, because so much happened in so few pages. Still, I really enjoyed reading this book, and even pre-ordered Mockingjay because of it. (It's the only book so far I've ever pre-ordered). ( )
  Floratina | Jan 4, 2015 |
Collins has done that rare thing. She has written a sequel that improves upon the first book. As a reader, I felt excited and even hopeful: could it be that this series and its characters were actually going somewhere?

Set down your worries about a sophomore slump. Suzanne Collins has rekindled the crackling tension of her 2008 smash novel, "The Hunger Games." Once again, Katniss Everdeen must fight for her life.
added by stephmo | editPlain Dealer, Rollie Welch (Sep 6, 2009)

The author describes her wearing a series of Cher-worthy costumes in which she confronts poisonous mists, deranged monkeys, and a flock of ''candy pink'' birds equipped with long beaks used to skewer human necks. Great stuff, this. Unfortunately, such startling apparitions too quickly appear and disappear, baubles randomly affixed to a story that's been stretched to gossamer thinness.

Collins, Suzanneprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
For my parents,
Jane and Michael Collins,
and my parents-in-law,
Dixie and Charles Pryor
I clasp the flask between my hands, even though the warmth from the tea has long since leached into the frozen air.
Dál svírám v dlaních polní láhev, ačkoliv všechno teplo z čaje už dávno vyprchalo do mrazivého vzduchu. Svaly mi tuhnou chladem. Kdyby se teď objevila smečka divokých psů, těžko bych stihla vyšplhat na strom, než na mě zaútočí. Měla bych se zvednout, protáhnout se a rozhýbat si končetiny. Místo toho ale zůstávám sedět, stejně nehybná jako skála pode mnou. Lesní tmu zvolna projasňuje svítání. Se sluncem se nedá bojovat. Mohu pouze bezmocně sledovat, jak signalizuje příchod dne, jehož se už měsíce děsím.
As far as I can tell, they never get up before noon unless there's some sort of national emergency, like my leg hair.
SPARKS ARE IGNITING.
FLAMES ARE SPREADING.
AND THE CAPITOL WANTS REVENGE.

Against all odds, Katniss has won the Hunger Games. She and fellow District 12 tribute Peeta Mellark are miraculously still alive. Katniss should be relieved, happy even. After all, she has returned to her family and her longtime friend, Gale. Yet nothing is the way Katniss wishes it to be. Gale holds her at an icy distance. Peeta has turned his back on her completely. And there are whispers of a rebellion against the Capitol — a rebellion that Katniss and Peeta may have helped create.

Much to her shock, Katniss has fueled an unrest she's afraid she cannot stop. And what scares her even more is that she's not entirely convinced she should try. As time draws near for Katniss and Peeta to visit the districts on the Capitol's cruel Victory Tour, the stakes are higher than ever. If they can't prove, without a shadow of a doubt, that they are lost in their love for each other, the consequences will be horrifying.

Katniss and Peeta
Fight the odds once again, but
Rebellion's afoot.
(passion4reading)

Against all odds, Katniss Everdeen has won the annual Hunger Games with fellow district tribute Peeta Mellark. But it was a victory won by defiance of the Capitol and their harsh rules. Katniss and Peeta should be happy. After all, they have just won for themselves and their families a life of safety and plenty. But there are rumors of rebellion among the subjects, and Katniss and Peeta, to their horror, are the faces of that rebellion. The Capitol is angry. The Capitol wants revenge.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:25:48 -0400)

By winning the annual Hunger Games, District 12 tributes Katniss Everdeen and Peeta Mellark have secured a life of safety and plenty for themselves and their families, but because they won by defying the rules, they unwittingly become the faces of an impending rebellion.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 95,070,188 books! | Top bar: Always visible