Catching Fire (Hunger Games, Book 2) by…

Catching Fire (Hunger Games, Book 2) (original 2009; edition 2009)

by Suzanne Collins

26,589138739 (4.23)1 / 877
Member:G_Riv
Title:Catching Fire (Hunger Games, Book 2)
Authors:Suzanne Collins
Info:Scholastic Press (2009), Edition: 1st, Hardcover, 391 pages
Collections:Read, Unowned
Rating:**1/2
Tags:book club

Catching Fire by Suzanne Collins (2009)

The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins (sarkisi_beyaz)
    Mockingjay by Suzanne Collins (djlewis)
    Tomorrow, When The War Began by John Marsden (Anonymous user)
    Anonymous user: Fans of the Hunger Games might enjoy Marsden's tale of action, survival and growing up.
    The Giver by Lois Lowry (jessicastatzer)
    Little Brother by Cory Doctorow (Awesomeness1)
    Unwind by Neal Shusterman (Anonymous user)
    The Other Side of the Island by Allegra Goodman (cransell)

English (1,351)  Spanish (7)  German (4)  Italian (4)  French (4)  Dutch (3)  Catalan (3)  Hungarian (2)  Romanian (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  Finnish (1)  Indonesian (1)  Danish (1)  All languages (1,383)
Woosh! That was a tour de force. A couple of friends who have read Catching Fire told me it was boring in comparison to The Hunger Games. I wouldn't say boring. The lead up to the Quarter Quell is more expositional than the first book. There's less murderous action, but still some pretty grim things going on and the tension is still there while the story moves on. Then the Quell starts and it's back on with the strategies, the psychology and the gore. I like Katniss more and more as she develops through the book. I think if I'd read these books when I was in my teens, I would have wanted to be her. I identify with her sense of injustice that is countered by her reluctance to face things down until she absolutely has to, even now at the age of 44! I like how she is beginning to learn that acting in your own interests can have wider implications. It's a sound, non-preachy exploration of consequences. There are ups and downs in the plot, some flat patches, but overall it's as strong a story as the first book. ( )
  missizicks | Mar 29, 2015 |
I loved the first book to the series, and my opinion didn't changed after, before and while I read this book. I thought that it was neat for the author to create a series were there, like the maze runner, has a bunch of teenagers fighting for their life. Now normally I don't love romance in a book, but here it just seemed to fit right in. Like it could be a crime if Suzanne Collins didn't have some "lovey-dovey" action going on. ( )
  JaFi14 | Mar 25, 2015 |
This is my favorite book in the Hunger Games series. It is about the aftermath of Katniss being in the Hunger Games. it shows her journey of having to decide her feelings for Peeta and Gale and her emotions of having to enter into another Hunger Game. ( )
  Hhaddad1 | Mar 3, 2015 |
Well, I went into this book with false beliefs. I figured, it’s over. Nothing bad is going to happen now, so this is going to be kind of dry and boring. Not what happened at all. After all of the drama created in the first book, I really shouldn’t have been surprised at the way things went in this second book. There was shock and awe, romance and adventure. So many different things that no one could possibly have seen coming. Overall, this was a really good read and I could not wait to get to the third book. ( )
  destinyisntfree | Feb 28, 2015 |
  destinyisntfree | Feb 28, 2015 |
Collins has done that rare thing. She has written a sequel that improves upon the first book. As a reader, I felt excited and even hopeful: could it be that this series and its characters were actually going somewhere?

Set down your worries about a sophomore slump. Suzanne Collins has rekindled the crackling tension of her 2008 smash novel, "The Hunger Games." Once again, Katniss Everdeen must fight for her life.
added by stephmo | editPlain Dealer, Rollie Welch (Sep 6, 2009)

The author describes her wearing a series of Cher-worthy costumes in which she confronts poisonous mists, deranged monkeys, and a flock of ''candy pink'' birds equipped with long beaks used to skewer human necks. Great stuff, this. Unfortunately, such startling apparitions too quickly appear and disappear, baubles randomly affixed to a story that's been stretched to gossamer thinness.

Collins, Suzanneprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
For my parents,
Jane and Michael Collins,
and my parents-in-law,
Dixie and Charles Pryor
I clasp the flask between my hands, even though the warmth from the tea has long since leached into the frozen air.
As far as I can tell, they never get up before noon unless there's some sort of national emergency, like my leg hair.
SPARKS ARE IGNITING.
FLAMES ARE SPREADING.
AND THE CAPITOL WANTS REVENGE.

Against all odds, Katniss has won the Hunger Games. She and fellow District 12 tribute Peeta Mellark are miraculously still alive. Katniss should be relieved, happy even. After all, she has returned to her family and her longtime friend, Gale. Yet nothing is the way Katniss wishes it to be. Gale holds her at an icy distance. Peeta has turned his back on her completely. And there are whispers of a rebellion against the Capitol — a rebellion that Katniss and Peeta may have helped create.

Much to her shock, Katniss has fueled an unrest she's afraid she cannot stop. And what scares her even more is that she's not entirely convinced she should try. As time draws near for Katniss and Peeta to visit the districts on the Capitol's cruel Victory Tour, the stakes are higher than ever. If they can't prove, without a shadow of a doubt, that they are lost in their love for each other, the consequences will be horrifying.

Katniss and Peeta
Fight the odds once again, but
Rebellion's afoot.
(passion4reading)

Against all odds, Katniss Everdeen has won the annual Hunger Games with fellow district tribute Peeta Mellark. But it was a victory won by defiance of the Capitol and their harsh rules. Katniss and Peeta should be happy. After all, they have just won for themselves and their families a life of safety and plenty. But there are rumors of rebellion among the subjects, and Katniss and Peeta, to their horror, are the faces of that rebellion. The Capitol is angry. The Capitol wants revenge.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:25:48 -0400)

By winning the annual Hunger Games, District 12 tributes Katniss Everdeen and Peeta Mellark have secured a life of safety and plenty for themselves and their families, but because they won by defying the rules, they unwittingly become the faces of an impending rebellion.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 96,271,628 books! | Top bar: Always visible