Catching Fire (The Hunger Games, Book 2) by…

Catching Fire (The Hunger Games, Book 2) (edition 2009)

by Suzanne Collins

27,254142236 (4.22)1 / 895
Member:Pigirl17
Title:Catching Fire (The Hunger Games, Book 2)
Authors:Suzanne Collins
Info:Scholastic Press (2009), Edition: 1st, Hardcover, 391 pages
Rating:*****

Catching Fire by Suzanne Collins

The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins (sarkisi_beyaz)
    Mockingjay by Suzanne Collins (djlewis)
    The Giver by Lois Lowry (jessicastatzer)
    Tomorrow, When The War Began by John Marsden (Anonymous user)
    Anonymous user: Fans of the Hunger Games might enjoy Marsden's tale of action, survival and growing up.
    Little Brother by Cory Doctorow (Awesomeness1)
    Unwind by Neal Shusterman (Anonymous user)
    The Other Side of the Island by Allegra Goodman (cransell)

English (1,386)  Spanish (7)  German (5)  Italian (4)  French (4)  Dutch (3)  Catalan (3)  Hungarian (2)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  Romanian (1)  Finnish (1)  Indonesian (1)  Danish (1)  All languages (1,419)
Very exciting!
:)I'm so curious what will happen next and how will everything end..
Can't wait to read the Mockingjay ( )
  smiley0905 | Sep 3, 2015 |
"The second installment of the Hunger Games trilogy, Catching Fire starts off with Katniss' preparation to return to the Capitol for a victory tour, which she is entitled to after the events of the ending of the last book.

I really like the idea that Katniss' act of survival was the spark that flamed a revolution. The first part of the book deals with this theme and, once again, it was engrossing and thrilling. The very idea of a revolution, how Katniss and her family and friends deal with the aftermath of the Hunger Games, how gradually life becomes impossible in District 12, are all very well depicted. Sadly, however, again Collins sends her message excessively. Sometimes I think that she doesn't think the readers can understand the meaning of her story on the first time she implies it, so she makes sure to reinforce the subject every three chapters. Accordingly, I found tossing Katniss into another game for survival a little repetitive. I believe there are many different ways the author could have dealt with the theme of Katniss standing up for the revolution, and this was the least original.

Regardless, I did enjoy reading about the small and subtle signs of revolution at every district; it turned the whole affair much more real than if the revolution had just exploded everywhere completely out of the blue. It was also interesting to read about the Capitol and their corruption games, though I would have loved to know more about how they operate regarding politics.

Well, as the story goes on, we are at a new arena; there are allies to be made, people to be killed and somehow it was a sense of deja vu for me. I just did not want to read the entire thing again. At some point, I also mentally moved away from all the action because Katniss was far too clueless about everything. As a symbol of the revolution, surely she should have been kept informed, right?

In the first book, her lack of knowledge merely lends more suspense to the story. In this, it seems rather silly to not tell her who are on her side and who are not. It makes no sense at all, especially if they want her to survive. Ok, I get that sometimes the best way to protect someone is to omit information from them, especially if they are thrown into a pit full of enemies without clear knowledge of who their enemies are, but letting Katniss go about the Games completely clueless weakens her character too much, in my opinion. It just doesn't work for me that in one book Collins depicts her heroine as weak and dumb, just a lamb following the herd; then, all of a sudden, she is a bad ass courageous Robin Hood wannabe kicking everybody's buts and taking control of a revolution. Just... blah.

Anyway, the way the author deals with such a heavy story line, managing to build the whole revolution down from the details, giving the reader a full picture of what is going on not only in one place, but everywhere, was brilliant. Not every author out there, from my experience, can do that without rendering the story into a muddy ocean of confusion and boredom. Every time I felt things were not making sense anymore, BAM!, there was a clear and cohesive revelation lying on the next paragraph or chapter. So, for Collin's ability to write a good story that kept me interested, I give it 4 stars.

The Last Passage
“They're not in District Twelve?” I repeat. As if saying it will somehow fend off the truth.
“Katniss,” Gale says softly.
I recognize that voice. It's the same one he uses to approach wounded animals before he delivers a deathblow. I instinctively raise my hand to block his words but he catches it and holds on tightly.
“Don't,” I whisper.
But Gale is not one to keep secrets from me. “Katniss, there is no District Twelve.”
" ( )
  AdemilsonM | Sep 2, 2015 |
The second book in the Hunger Games trilogy was a one-day read for me. I just could not put it down. It is gripping from start to finish and picks up immediately where the first book left off. I have been pleasantly blown away by this series thus far and was thrilled to finish the second book just days before the third was released. The best time to start a series is when it's just being finished~ no waiting a year to find out what happens. And this is one of those books that has a horrible cliffhanger ending that would be pretty interminable if you had to wait too long.

I loved that even thought the subject matter was dark and difficult at times, it was written for young adults so it wasn't too violent or overwhelming. These books are page turners, but I've found that I'm not able to immediately jump into the next one. I need at least a week to ponder it and replay it in my mind. That is the sign of a good author.

This series is VERY highly recommended. ( )
  KirSio | Aug 31, 2015 |
fun book and excellent narrator (audiobook). Highly recommend, especially if you've seen the movie. ( )
  marshapetry | Aug 26, 2015 |
This installment is a middle one and it shows, as much of the book, especially the Victory Tour of all the districts, is clearly a setup for "Mockingjay". However, I still found the story gripping and the characters sympathetic, and the pace picks up once the Capitol swings into action against Katniss, District 12 and other targets. The Katniss-Gale-Peta triangle is not my favorite of part of the story, but it does add drama for those who don't mind that sort of thing. ( )
  bostonian71 | Aug 21, 2015 |
Collins has done that rare thing. She has written a sequel that improves upon the first book. As a reader, I felt excited and even hopeful: could it be that this series and its characters were actually going somewhere?

Set down your worries about a sophomore slump. Suzanne Collins has rekindled the crackling tension of her 2008 smash novel, "The Hunger Games." Once again, Katniss Everdeen must fight for her life.
added by stephmo | editPlain Dealer, Rollie Welch (Sep 6, 2009)

The author describes her wearing a series of Cher-worthy costumes in which she confronts poisonous mists, deranged monkeys, and a flock of ''candy pink'' birds equipped with long beaks used to skewer human necks. Great stuff, this. Unfortunately, such startling apparitions too quickly appear and disappear, baubles randomly affixed to a story that's been stretched to gossamer thinness.

Collins, Suzanneprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
For my parents,
Jane and Michael Collins,
and my parents-in-law,
Dixie and Charles Pryor
I clasp the flask between my hands, even though the warmth from the tea has long since leached into the frozen air.
As far as I can tell, they never get up before noon unless there's some sort of national emergency, like my leg hair.
SPARKS ARE IGNITING.
FLAMES ARE SPREADING.
AND THE CAPITOL WANTS REVENGE.

Against all odds, Katniss has won the Hunger Games. She and fellow District 12 tribute Peeta Mellark are miraculously still alive. Katniss should be relieved, happy even. After all, she has returned to her family and her longtime friend, Gale. Yet nothing is the way Katniss wishes it to be. Gale holds her at an icy distance. Peeta has turned his back on her completely. And there are whispers of a rebellion against the Capitol — a rebellion that Katniss and Peeta may have helped create.

Much to her shock, Katniss has fueled an unrest she's afraid she cannot stop. And what scares her even more is that she's not entirely convinced she should try. As time draws near for Katniss and Peeta to visit the districts on the Capitol's cruel Victory Tour, the stakes are higher than ever. If they can't prove, without a shadow of a doubt, that they are lost in their love for each other, the consequences will be horrifying.

BL: 5.3 - AR Pts: 16.0
Katniss and Peeta
Fight the odds once again, but
Rebellion's afoot.
(passion4reading)

Against all odds, Katniss Everdeen has won the annual Hunger Games with fellow district tribute Peeta Mellark. But it was a victory won by defiance of the Capitol and their harsh rules. Katniss and Peeta should be happy. After all, they have just won for themselves and their families a life of safety and plenty. But there are rumors of rebellion among the subjects, and Katniss and Peeta, to their horror, are the faces of that rebellion. The Capitol is angry. The Capitol wants revenge.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:07:14 -0400)

By winning the annual Hunger Games, District 12 tributes Katniss Everdeen and Peeta Mellark have secured a life of safety and plenty for themselves and their families, but because they won by defying the rules, they unwittingly become the faces of an impending rebellion.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,147,887 books! | Top bar: Always visible