Catching Fire (The Hunger Games, Book 2) by…

Catching Fire (The Hunger Games, Book 2) (edition 2009)

by Suzanne Collins

28,881150132 (4.22)1 / 902
Member:Pigirl17
Title:Catching Fire (The Hunger Games, Book 2)
Authors:Suzanne Collins
Info:Scholastic Press (2009), Edition: 1st, Hardcover, 391 pages
Rating:*****

Catching Fire by Suzanne Collins

English (1,462)  Spanish (8)  German (5)  Italian (4)  French (4)  Dutch (3)  Catalan (3)  Hungarian (2)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  Romanian (1)  Finnish (1)  Indonesian (1)  Danish (1)  All languages (1,496)
Only die-hard fans of The Hunger Games will think this sequel does much more than repeat the action of the first book (and really, who else would read it? - so I’m sure my opinion is very unpopular). The protagonist Katniss once again finds herself and Peeta in a televised fight to the death, but this time she is the unwitting symbol of the resistance movement. Almost all potential for character development or plot advancement is used up in violent action sequences.

Like many, many (MANY) sequels, I was left feeling that the first book should have been left alone. For a great story about an unwitting revolutionary leader, read Moving Mars by Greg Bear.
  memccauley6 | May 3, 2016 |
I loved the first one more, but this took twists I did not at all expect. Can't wait to read the finale! ( )
  Kristin_Curdie_Cook | Apr 29, 2016 |
This is actually my third time reading this book (series) but apparently I didn't review it before...

Starting right off you know that things are not going to be alright for Katniss. She's started something with her actions that she could not possibly have foreseen. As a reader, you are drawn in from before you even open the book because you know from the end of book one that something more is going to happen with her. Even after the President's visit to her home however, you just can't imagine the horror that's about to face her. Without giving any spoilers, it's about as far from what you think possible as it can be. And then at the end you learn that even more was going on behind the scenes, and you're left just panting in anticipation of the final book! Collins has a way to weave a story into something lasting, something that makes you think, and feel, and something that's not easy at all to just walk away from. These characters are in my blood now.
*Re-read #4: 11/15/2014* ( )
  MynTop | Apr 8, 2016 |
SPOILER*****

I enjoyed it up to the part where they enter the games again. As thrilling as that was, I've read it already in Hunger Games. Other than that, looking forward to the third. ( )
  EJFin | Apr 6, 2016 |
In this book Katniss and Peeta are reentered into the hunger games from the winners circle of their District (12). Right off the bat, they make friends with some of the other people like Fin and Mags. When the games begin, the alliance grabs a bunch of gear and kills a few people right off the bat before running off the beach. After Mags ends up dying, Fin, Peeta, and Katniss are eventually rescued from the arena by a hovercraft. The hovercraft came from Distrct 13, a district that was thought to have been gone for a long time now.

I thought that this was a great book. It was better than the first book because there was more action. This book was more entertaining because of the alliances and friendships that happened. There was more sad parts though like when Mags dies and how Peeta almost gets killed. I was very surprised at the end when the hovercraft came in and saved them. I was expecting the group to basically pull the same stunt as last time to get them all out. Anyone who likes books with action and some unexpected twists would love this book. ( )
  jacobc.b1 | Mar 31, 2016 |
Collins has done that rare thing. She has written a sequel that improves upon the first book. As a reader, I felt excited and even hopeful: could it be that this series and its characters were actually going somewhere?

Set down your worries about a sophomore slump. Suzanne Collins has rekindled the crackling tension of her 2008 smash novel, "The Hunger Games." Once again, Katniss Everdeen must fight for her life.
added by stephmo | editPlain Dealer, Rollie Welch (Sep 6, 2009)

The author describes her wearing a series of Cher-worthy costumes in which she confronts poisonous mists, deranged monkeys, and a flock of ''candy pink'' birds equipped with long beaks used to skewer human necks. Great stuff, this. Unfortunately, such startling apparitions too quickly appear and disappear, baubles randomly affixed to a story that's been stretched to gossamer thinness.

Collins, Suzanneprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
For my parents,
Jane and Michael Collins,

and my parents-in-law,
Dixie and Charles Pryor
I clasp the flask between my hands, even though the warmth from the tea has long since leached into the frozen air.
As far as I can tell, they never get up before noon unless there's some sort of national emergency, like my leg hair.
SPARKS ARE IGNITING.
FLAMES ARE SPREADING.
AND THE CAPITOL WANTS REVENGE.

Against all odds, Katniss has won the Hunger Games. She and fellow District 12 tribute Peeta Mellark are miraculously still alive. Katniss should be relieved, happy even. After all, she has returned to her family and her longtime friend, Gale. Yet nothing is the way Katniss wishes it to be. Gale holds her at an icy distance. Peeta has turned his back on her completely. And there are whispers of a rebellion against the Capitol — a rebellion that Katniss and Peeta may have helped create.

Much to her shock, Katniss has fueled an unrest she's afraid she cannot stop. And what scares her even more is that she's not entirely convinced she should try. As time draws near for Katniss and Peeta to visit the districts on the Capitol's cruel Victory Tour, the stakes are higher than ever. If they can't prove, without a shadow of a doubt, that they are lost in their love for each other, the consequences will be horrifying.

BL: 5.3 - AR Pts: 16.0
Katniss and Peeta
Fight the odds once again, but
Rebellion's afoot.
(passion4reading)

Against all odds, Katniss Everdeen has won the annual Hunger Games with fellow district tribute Peeta Mellark. But it was a victory won by defiance of the Capitol and their harsh rules. Katniss and Peeta should be happy. After all, they have just won for themselves and their families a life of safety and plenty. But there are rumors of rebellion among the subjects, and Katniss and Peeta, to their horror, are the faces of that rebellion. The Capitol is angry. The Capitol wants revenge.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:07:14 -0400)

By winning the annual Hunger Games, District 12 tributes Katniss Everdeen and Peeta Mellark have secured a life of safety and plenty for themselves and their families, but because they won by defying the rules, they unwittingly become the faces of an impending rebellion.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,250,148 books! | Top bar: Always visible