Catching Fire by Suzanne Collins

Catching Fire (original 2009; edition 2010)

by Suzanne Collins

24,140None44 (4.25)1 / 841
Member:PhyllisSnipes
Title:Catching Fire
Authors:Suzanne Collins
Info:Paw Prints 2010-07-19 (2010), Unknown Binding
Tags:Collins

Catching Fire by Suzanne Collins (2009)

Recently added byKitamura, Miss.Oscar, Y2Ash, Gatucci, wakkobr, private library, DanaMarie1089, SuperSam01
2010 (130) 2011 (138) 2012 (181) action (144) adventure (404) dystopia (1,176) dystopian (404) ebook (212) fantasy (603) fiction (1,408) friendship (122) future (198) futuristic (130) Hunger Games (399) Kindle (191) love (128) post-apocalyptic (282) read (290) read in 2012 (132) reality tv (113) rebellion (236) romance (200) science fiction (1,364) series (384) survival (586) teen (188) violence (113) YA (797) young adult (1,164) young adult fiction (167)
    Tomorrow, When The War Began by John Marsden (Anonymous user)
    Anonymous user: Fans of the Hunger Games might enjoy Marsden's tale of action, survival and growing up.
    The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins (sarkisi_beyaz)
    Mockingjay by Suzanne Collins (djlewis)
    The Giver by Lois Lowry (jessicastatzer)
    Little Brother by Cory Doctorow (Awesomeness1)
    Unwind by Neal Shusterman (Anonymous user)
    The Other Side of the Island by Allegra Goodman (cransell)

English (1,261)  Spanish (6)  German (4)  Italian (4)  French (4)  Dutch (3)  Catalan (3)  Hungarian (2)  Romanian (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  Finnish (1)  Indonesian (1)  Danish (1)  All languages (1,292)
I liked it; but I don't agree that the ending was the cliffhanger everyone made it out to be. It was no different than most TV shows lately. I certainly didn't feel the pressing need to run out and buy Mockingjay right away. ( )
  Jeff.Conrad | Apr 11, 2014 |
This book is a far better book than The Hunger Games and I have no idea how that’s possible.

Let me explain. I accept that I’m going to come into contact with books that are exceptional, books that are better than what I had previously read in the past, but a sequel kicking the ass of the original? I know! I couldn’t believe it either - especially when I factor in just how much I loved “Book 1”.

This time around, Katniss and Peeta have to deal with the fact that by becoming co-winners of The Hunger Games, they inadvertently became rebels, inspiring the beginning stages of an uprising. Fuel is only added to the fire when Peeta declares his intentions to share the spoils of victory with the families of the allies he had in battle. The Capitol does not take kindly to their unselfish ways and in an effort to put an end to the potential crumbling of society, they respond with vicious and ruthless force. The response? Extreme reinforcement of rules, public torture and even execution.

When Katniss witnessed the revision of the Quarter Qwell, placing past victors back into the arena for another go around in The Hunger Games, I felt for her. I literally felt this enormous weight in my gut, like someone had punched me. Probably due to the way that Collins writes Katniss’ reaction; it was just so vivid. Screaming, breaking furniture and running into the streets like a person overcome with madness. For Katniss, the nightmares never stopped; she never fully recovered from the horror of killing her peers, from surviving the brutal battle in the Games. The idea of having to go back in after being assured that she was safe from future involvement (aside from being mentor) had to be soul crushing.

As I mentioned earlier, the feeling in my gut rarely went away. Collins' ability to write about violence without the use of vulgarity is the key to this series being YA. It's certainly refreshing for me. Hey, don't get me wrong, I loves me some over the top violence (one of the reasons I love Stephen King and movies like "Machete") but its nice to use a characters emotions and feelings of vulnerability to instill feelings of disgust. Does that make sense?

I love this book and I'm poised to view this trilogy as one of my favorites (provided Book III is not a let down). I can't recommend this enough. ( )
  branimal | Apr 1, 2014 |
Couldn't put it down. ( )
  CharityBradford | Apr 1, 2014 |
Couldn't put it down. ( )
  CharityBradford | Apr 1, 2014 |
Haven't seen the movie yet. This book was better than the first one, it's more about the government/political than the arena/fighting/survival. Can't wait to read the next one. ( )
  JoeYee | Mar 30, 2014 |
Collins has done that rare thing. She has written a sequel that improves upon the first book. As a reader, I felt excited and even hopeful: could it be that this series and its characters were actually going somewhere?

Set down your worries about a sophomore slump. Suzanne Collins has rekindled the crackling tension of her 2008 smash novel, "The Hunger Games." Once again, Katniss Everdeen must fight for her life.
added by stephmo | editPlain Dealer, Rollie Welch (Sep 6, 2009)

The author describes her wearing a series of Cher-worthy costumes in which she confronts poisonous mists, deranged monkeys, and a flock of ''candy pink'' birds equipped with long beaks used to skewer human necks. Great stuff, this. Unfortunately, such startling apparitions too quickly appear and disappear, baubles randomly affixed to a story that's been stretched to gossamer thinness.

Collins, Suzanneprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
McCormick, CarolynNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Ramírez Tello, PilarTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For my parents,
Jane and Michael Collins,
and my parents-in-law,
Dixie and Charles Pryor
I clasp the flask between my hands, even though the warmth from the tea has long since leached into the frozen air.
Dál svírám v dlaních polní láhev, ačkoliv všechno teplo z čaje už dávno vyprchalo do mrazivého vzduchu. Svaly mi tuhnou chladem. Kdyby se teď objevila smečka divokých psů, těžko bych stihla vyšplhat na strom, než na mě zaútočí. Měla bych se zvednout, protáhnout se a rozhýbat si končetiny. Místo toho ale zůstávám sedět, stejně nehybná jako skála pode mnou. Lesní tmu zvolna projasňuje svítání. Se sluncem se nedá bojovat. Mohu pouze bezmocně sledovat, jak signalizuje příchod dne, jehož se už měsíce děsím.
As far as I can tell, they never get up before noon unless there's some sort of national emergency, like my leg hair.
SPARKS ARE IGNITING.
FLAMES ARE SPREADING.
AND THE CAPITOL WANTS REVENGE.

Against all odds, Katniss has won the Hunger Games. She and fellow District 12 tribute Peeta Mellark are miraculously still alive. Katniss should be relieved, happy even. After all, she has returned to her family and her longtime friend, Gale. Yet nothing is the way Katniss wishes it to be. Gale holds her at an icy distance. Peeta has turned his back on her completely. And there are whispers of a rebellion against the Capitol — a rebellion that Katniss and Peeta may have helped create.

Much to her shock, Katniss has fueled an unrest she's afraid she cannot stop. And what scares her even more is that she's not entirely convinced she should try. As time draws near for Katniss and Peeta to visit the districts on the Capitol's cruel Victory Tour, the stakes are higher than ever. If they can't prove, without a shadow of a doubt, that they are lost in their love for each other, the consequences will be horrifying.

Katniss and Peeta
Fight the odds once again, but
Rebellion's afoot.
(passion4reading)

Against all odds, Katniss Everdeen has won the annual Hunger Games with fellow district tribute Peeta Mellark. But it was a victory won by defiance of the Capitol and their harsh rules. Katniss and Peeta should be happy. After all, they have just won for themselves and their families a life of safety and plenty. But there are rumors of rebellion among the subjects, and Katniss and Peeta, to their horror, are the faces of that rebellion. The Capitol is angry. The Capitol wants revenge.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:25:48 -0400)

By winning the annual Hunger Games, District 12 tributes Katniss Everdeen and Peeta Mellark have secured a life of safety and plenty for themselves and their families, but because they won by defying the rules, they unwittingly become the faces of an impending rebellion.… (more)

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,426,864 books! | Top bar: Always visible