Catching Fire by Suzanne Collins

Catching Fire (edition 2010)

by Suzanne Collins

29,610152531 (4.22)1 / 909
Member:PhyllisSnipes
Title:Catching Fire
Authors:Suzanne Collins
Info:Paw Prints 2010-07-19 (2010), Unknown Binding
Tags:Collins

Catching Fire by Suzanne Collins

English (1,488)  Spanish (8)  German (5)  Italian (4)  French (4)  Dutch (3)  Catalan (3)  Hungarian (2)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  Romanian (1)  Finnish (1)  Indonesian (1)  Danish (1)  All languages (1,522)
I'll have to go back and see what I rated [b:The Hunger Games|2767052|The Hunger Games (The Hunger Games, #1)|Suzanne Collins|https://d.gr-assets.com/books/1358275334s/2767052.jpg|2792775] but I think I enjoyed Catching Fire more. Maybe it's because it's been so long since I've read the first in the trilogy but I was completely involved in this story and enjoyed the political aspects and the alliance between the victors. And I swear I never thought I'd like Peeta but I did.

The only thing that I didn't like very much was the choice of narrator. I'd go 4.5 but rounding up.

Ok, I'm off to start [b:Mockingjay|7260188|Mockingjay (The Hunger Games, #3)|Suzanne Collins|https://d.gr-assets.com/books/1358275419s/7260188.jpg|8812783]. ( )
  amcheri | Aug 22, 2016 |
I guess the novelty wore off somewhat.

For my combined review of all books in this trilogy - see here. ( )
  BrokenTune | Aug 21, 2016 |
This is a combined review of the trilogy as a whole.

"When I was younger, I scared my mother to death, the things I would blurt out about District 12, about the people who rule our country, Panem, from the far-off city called the Capitol. Eventually I understood this would only lead us to more trouble. So I learned to hold my tongue and to turn my features into an indifferent mask so that no one could ever read my thoughts."

I managed to forego reading the books until a few weeks ago when I needed to find some common topic of conversation with someone that I otherwise have little in common with. There is only so much small talk I can bear, and I knew that The Hunger Games was something the other person was interested in. So, I figured I'd read the first book for the silliest of reasons.

What I had not expected was that I adored the first installment and ended up having to read the rest of the series.

What still baffles me is how Collins actually managed to lean on so many existing stories and works of literature and still come away with a story that reads so utterly gripping and original. My initial reaction on reading was to make comparisons to The Lottery and Lord of the Flies and 1984 and every gladiator-themed movie I have ever watched but I soon left these aside to enjoy the story of Katniss Everdeen (Is Collins a fan of the English pastoral as well as ancient Rome?) and the country of Panem just for itself. The literary tributes (haha) became rather fun to look for - like a party game between author and reader - but they did not distract from the story.

So, what about the story?

Well, we have the Katniss and Peeta who are chosen (by lottery) as tributes from their districts to compete against the "tributes" from other districts in a televised fight with with goal to be the last tribute alive and win the prize of ensuring their family's food supply for the rest of their lives. So, again cue the reference to the panem et circenses of Ancient Rome - except that The Hunger Games have the additional twist that they were set up as punishment for the districts' rise against the Capitol some seventy years earlier.

"You get the feeling that the knot-tying class is not the Hunger Games hot spot."

As Katniss and her fellow tributes began the "games", it was very hard to put down the book even for short breaks. The story took on a whole new level as I tried to figure out what motives the different characters had and whether they were trustworthy or not. Yep, a YA book actually had me on the edge of my seat, and by the of book 1 it was not even a question whether I'd read on to find out whether the revolution would win or fail.

"At some point, you have to stop running and turn around and face whoever wants you dead. The hard thing is finding the courage to do it. Well, it’s not hard for Gale. He was born a rebel. I’m the one making an escape plan."

And that's another thing - One of the frustrations I have with books is predictability. Not so here. Nowhere in the trilogy did I get a sense of what the ending would be like. I loved it.

I also really liked the characters: None of them are perfect, least of all Katniss, but that gives them some depth and over the course of the books, Collins gives her characters room to develop and shows the impact of the story on the different personalities - not just the violence and cruelty they are faced with but also the influence of friendships and acts of kindness they witness.

"We’re fickle, stupid beings with poor memories and a great gift for self-destruction."

N.B. Catching Fire (Book 2) is the weakest of the trilogy and basically only acts as the bridge between The Hunger Games and Mockingjay. It's still worth reading, but nowhere near as "original" (not using the word lightly given the many references to existing stories) as Books 1 and 3. ( )
  BrokenTune | Aug 21, 2016 |
Wow is all I can say.
I am so glad that I do not live in a place that the Capitol will torture people the way that Katniss, Peeta, Gale, Haymitch, and the rest of the bunch are.
There is so much in this book that I should hate but I could not it drew me in and did not want to let me go. Amazing Read and I am sorry that I had not read it before. ( )
  Angel.Carter | Aug 11, 2016 |
You just knew that the story wasn't over when Katniss and Peeta returned home to District 12 after winning the Hunger Games.

Settled into their new homes in the Victors Village, Katniss and Peeta hope for normalcy. But, a surprise visit from President Snow shows Katniss that her life will never resemble any sense of normal and that her oppressive government is even more all controlling and placing all the blame of district unrest on her young shoulders. She and Peeta must continue to present a united, loving front as they make their Victory Tour through the districts and prevent any show of uprising or rebellion.

Katniss' confusion over Gale and Peeta is still troubling her. Peeta is hurt over Katniss' deception and the fact that she only pretended to love him in order to win the games. Gale tells her how he feels, which only serves to confuse her even more. She loves him and he's her best friend. But, she also loves and needs Peeta and his strength. It almost sounds like shades of Twilight here, but these are such better, stronger characters and Katniss is strong enough to rise to the occasion and embrace her destiny, especially when she and Peeta see signs of rebellion while on their Victory Tour.

The new Hunger Games are announced and because it's an anniversary year, the terms are different: this year, the tributes are pulled from the existing victors. In the case of District 12, that means Katniss, Peeta and Haymitch. When Haymitch's name is called, Peeta volunteers and he and Katniss are again headed to the arena.

While Suzanne Collin's imagery is still vivid and colorful, this set of Hunger Games was harder for me to picture in my mind so I can't wait to see how it's portrayed on screen. President Snow's role is also much stronger and we see his ability to use power to manipulate with minimal verbal communication. The man is truly terrifying. And, watching as Katniss begins to further understand the ramifications of her actions and the possibilities of district rebellion is terrific.

Catching Fire has a lot of twists and turns and surprises and a lot more intensity. New characters are introduced as there are 22 other tributes in these new games and I loved Finnick. The questions of who to trust and who to keep as allies are important as Peeta and Katniss are committed at all costs to keep the other alive. Their tender moments together are some of my favorites.

I liked Catching Fire even more than The Hunger Games and I had no idea it would be such a cliff hanger ending, so I was very, very happy to have Mockingjay in hand to start reading immediately.
  2kidsandtired | Aug 2, 2016 |
Collins has done that rare thing. She has written a sequel that improves upon the first book. As a reader, I felt excited and even hopeful: could it be that this series and its characters were actually going somewhere?

Set down your worries about a sophomore slump. Suzanne Collins has rekindled the crackling tension of her 2008 smash novel, "The Hunger Games." Once again, Katniss Everdeen must fight for her life.
added by stephmo | editPlain Dealer, Rollie Welch (Sep 6, 2009)

The author describes her wearing a series of Cher-worthy costumes in which she confronts poisonous mists, deranged monkeys, and a flock of ''candy pink'' birds equipped with long beaks used to skewer human necks. Great stuff, this. Unfortunately, such startling apparitions too quickly appear and disappear, baubles randomly affixed to a story that's been stretched to gossamer thinness.

Collins, Suzanneprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
For my parents,
Jane and Michael Collins,

and my parents-in-law,
Dixie and Charles Pryor
I clasp the flask between my hands, even though the warmth from the tea has long since leached into the frozen air.
As far as I can tell, they never get up before noon unless there's some sort of national emergency, like my leg hair.

SPARKS ARE IGNITING.
FLAMES ARE SPREADING.
AND THE CAPITOL WANTS REVENGE.

Against all odds, Katniss has won the Hunger Games. She and fellow District 12 tribute Peeta Mellark are miraculously still alive. Katniss should be relieved, happy even. After all, she has returned to her family and her longtime friend, Gale. Yet nothing is the way Katniss wishes it to be. Gale holds her at an icy distance. Peeta has turned his back on her completely. And there are whispers of a rebellion against the Capitol — a rebellion that Katniss and Peeta may have helped create.

Much to her shock, Katniss has fueled an unrest she's afraid she cannot stop. And what scares her even more is that she's not entirely convinced she should try. As time draws near for Katniss and Peeta to visit the districts on the Capitol's cruel Victory Tour, the stakes are higher than ever. If they can't prove, without a shadow of a doubt, that they are lost in their love for each other, the consequences will be horrifying.

BL: 5.3 - AR Pts: 16.0
Katniss and Peeta
Fight the odds once again, but
Rebellion's afoot.
(passion4reading)

Against all odds, Katniss Everdeen has won the annual Hunger Games with fellow district tribute Peeta Mellark. But it was a victory won by defiance of the Capitol and their harsh rules. Katniss and Peeta should be happy. After all, they have just won for themselves and their families a life of safety and plenty. But there are rumors of rebellion among the subjects, and Katniss and Peeta, to their horror, are the faces of that rebellion. The Capitol is angry. The Capitol wants revenge.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:07:14 -0400)

By winning the annual Hunger Games, District 12 tributes Katniss Everdeen and Peeta Mellark have secured a life of safety and plenty for themselves and their families, but because they won by defying the rules, they unwittingly become the faces of an impending rebellion.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 108,313,475 books! | Top bar: Always visible