Catching Fire (The Hunger Games, Book 2) by…

Catching Fire (The Hunger Games, Book 2) (edition 2009)

by Suzanne Collins

27,687144236 (4.22)1 / 896
Title:Catching Fire (The Hunger Games, Book 2)
Authors:Suzanne Collins
Info:Scholastic Press (2009), Edition: 1st, Hardcover, 391 pages

Catching Fire by Suzanne Collins

The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins (sarkisi_beyaz)
    Mockingjay by Suzanne Collins (djlewis)
    The Giver by Lois Lowry (jessicastatzer)
    Tomorrow, When The War Began by John Marsden (Anonymous user)
    Anonymous user: Fans of the Hunger Games might enjoy Marsden's tale of action, survival and growing up.
    Little Brother by Cory Doctorow (Awesomeness1)
    Unwind by Neal Shusterman (Anonymous user)
    The Other Side of the Island by Allegra Goodman (cransell)

English (1,399)  Spanish (8)  German (5)  Italian (4)  French (4)  Dutch (3)  Catalan (3)  Hungarian (2)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  Romanian (1)  Finnish (1)  Indonesian (1)  Danish (1)  All languages (1,433)
Now that I was into the story it was easier to get absorbed. It's a middle book and didn't feel like a lot was revealed. Still good, with enough tension to want to keep reading, but too much wasn't revealed so that by the end you feel just as in the dark as in the beginning. coming from a single perspective that's. not a shock since Katniss didn't know much either. ( )
  MrsAlwyn | Nov 29, 2015 |
Not bad. Too much concentration on Peeta vs. Gale, though it's fairly clear who "wins." But, if the next book proves me wrong it will be a pleasant surprise. I don't really know what could be changed to make this one 4 or 5 stars for me. Maybe 2 POV chapters, not just Katniss? Probably not the best idea.
I think my main problem is that everybody is safe. No one important is killed. I will not be surprised if even Seneca Crane will be resurrected. It's too safe for a dystopian book. ( )
  aviskase | Nov 26, 2015 |
She's done it again!

This book was just as good as the first, the tension and plot development was fantastic! It really draws you in and holds you on the edge of your seat right to the bitter end!

I could not believe Katniss and Peeta had to go into the arena again I was not expecting that and made the book even more engaging and just brilliant!

I was really pleased that the tributes beat the arena in the end and the cliffhanger at the end of district 12 being completely destroyed made me want to read the last book of the trilogy even more!

All in all this book was AMAZING and I cannot wait to see how it is adapted to the big screen! ( )
  KittyBimble | Nov 26, 2015 |
So good and engrossing. I read it during my lunch breaks, while eating breakfast, while brushing my teeth, every chance I got because I just couldn't put it down. I can't wait to get book #3. ( )
  beckyface | Nov 22, 2015 |
  beckyface | Nov 22, 2015 |
Collins has done that rare thing. She has written a sequel that improves upon the first book. As a reader, I felt excited and even hopeful: could it be that this series and its characters were actually going somewhere?
Set down your worries about a sophomore slump. Suzanne Collins has rekindled the crackling tension of her 2008 smash novel, "The Hunger Games." Once again, Katniss Everdeen must fight for her life.
added by stephmo | editPlain Dealer, Rollie Welch (Sep 6, 2009)
The author describes her wearing a series of Cher-worthy costumes in which she confronts poisonous mists, deranged monkeys, and a flock of ''candy pink'' birds equipped with long beaks used to skewer human necks. Great stuff, this. Unfortunately, such startling apparitions too quickly appear and disappear, baubles randomly affixed to a story that's been stretched to gossamer thinness.

Collins, Suzanneprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
For my parents,
Jane and Michael Collins,
and my parents-in-law,
Dixie and Charles Pryor
I clasp the flask between my hands, even though the warmth from the tea has long since leached into the frozen air.
As far as I can tell, they never get up before noon unless there's some sort of national emergency, like my leg hair.

Against all odds, Katniss has won the Hunger Games. She and fellow District 12 tribute Peeta Mellark are miraculously still alive. Katniss should be relieved, happy even. After all, she has returned to her family and her longtime friend, Gale. Yet nothing is the way Katniss wishes it to be. Gale holds her at an icy distance. Peeta has turned his back on her completely. And there are whispers of a rebellion against the Capitol — a rebellion that Katniss and Peeta may have helped create.

Much to her shock, Katniss has fueled an unrest she's afraid she cannot stop. And what scares her even more is that she's not entirely convinced she should try. As time draws near for Katniss and Peeta to visit the districts on the Capitol's cruel Victory Tour, the stakes are higher than ever. If they can't prove, without a shadow of a doubt, that they are lost in their love for each other, the consequences will be horrifying.

BL: 5.3 - AR Pts: 16.0
Katniss and Peeta
Fight the odds once again, but
Rebellion's afoot.

Against all odds, Katniss Everdeen has won the annual Hunger Games with fellow district tribute Peeta Mellark. But it was a victory won by defiance of the Capitol and their harsh rules. Katniss and Peeta should be happy. After all, they have just won for themselves and their families a life of safety and plenty. But there are rumors of rebellion among the subjects, and Katniss and Peeta, to their horror, are the faces of that rebellion. The Capitol is angry. The Capitol wants revenge.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:07:14 -0400)

By winning the annual Hunger Games, District 12 tributes Katniss Everdeen and Peeta Mellark have secured a life of safety and plenty for themselves and their families, but because they won by defying the rules, they unwittingly become the faces of an impending rebellion.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,881,576 books! | Top bar: Always visible