Catching Fire (The Hunger Games, Book 2) by…

Catching Fire (The Hunger Games, Book 2) (original 2009; edition 2009)

by Suzanne Collins

25,510134444 (4.24)1 / 857
Member:Iza.K
Title:Catching Fire (The Hunger Games, Book 2)
Authors:Suzanne Collins
Info:Scholastic Press (2009), Edition: 1st, Hardcover, 391 pages

Catching Fire by Suzanne Collins (2009)

Recently added bygreeniezona, josescott, ku., private library, margojacobs, Arinada, witchy_poo
    The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins (sarkisi_beyaz)
    Tomorrow, When The War Began by John Marsden (Anonymous user)
    Anonymous user: Fans of the Hunger Games might enjoy Marsden's tale of action, survival and growing up.
    Mockingjay by Suzanne Collins (djlewis)
    The Giver by Lois Lowry (jessicastatzer)
    Little Brother by Cory Doctorow (Awesomeness1)
    Unwind by Neal Shusterman (Anonymous user)
    The Other Side of the Island by Allegra Goodman (cransell)

English (1,311)  Spanish (6)  German (4)  Italian (4)  French (4)  Dutch (3)  Catalan (3)  Hungarian (2)  Romanian (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  Finnish (1)  Indonesian (1)  Danish (1)  All languages (1,342)
It has been about two years now I've read the first book in The Hunger Games trilogy, and my opinion on it is pretty much the same one as in Catching Fire.
The whole premise of this series is clearly something else, despite being advertised as a romantic story, HG is a dystopian that truly makes you think.
In this second part of the story, we get to experience the effect Katniss and Peeta's ''revolution'' had on the Districts. It is of course, remarkable, and the Capitol needs to do something about it.
This will be a spoiler-free version so I won't be getting on details but our ''couple'' is faced with more and more obstacles. Overall, the important thing is the safety of their families and Gale. But protecting them will be harder than then ever thought.
I am not a fan of Suzanne Collins' writing, I don't know why but there's just something I can't appreciate. However, I praise her for this fantastic story. ( )
  sarafwilliams | Sep 13, 2014 |
  sarafwilliams | Sep 13, 2014 |
Catching Fire has no heat

The first book was new and interesting but the second one, Catching Fire, really dropped the ball for me.

** Minor Spoilers **

Katniss is our main character, a 17 year old girl with an unerring aim with the bow & arrow but can't really handle boys, kissing or girl talk. The story starts with her struggle to handle her new-found fame as the winner of the Hunger Games with the unusual result of winning with Peeta, which we know from the last book her attempted suicide prevented by The Capitol, the police state that runs the Hunger Games and 12 Districts.

Katniss as a character was very uneven and at times unrealistic. Her inability to handle the President Snow's threat to kill her beloved Gale (whom she keeps denying she has any feelings for) by running away and vomiting – I mean, really?

The other characters in the book seem to have to deal with her inabilities and faults and do it quite well. There are times in the story where their criticisms of Katniss align with my own: Why criticize her mother when she is a much better healer than Katniss? Why run at the jabberjays sent by the Capitol to demoralize her by imitating her sister Prim? And when she knows it's a trick, keeps falling for it anyway. Gosh!

Without revealing too much, her selfishness collides strongly with her sudden desire to protect Peeta to the death. And when the Hunger Games are redone as the Quarter Quell (where the Capitol, at an anniversary of the Games and to show the Districts whose boss, bring in all the past victors into one big battle), again why would the Capitol do that?

They are already dealing with the unexpected protests set off by a reluctant revolutionary in Katniss (who really has no clue what she's really done until the end) so why further inflame the populace by killing more of the District's heroes from past Games?

Bottom Line: Inconsistent characterization with Katniss made it very hard to sympathize with her. The actions of The Capitol, even as a police state that it was, were hardly logical and only further inflame the populace!

The second book of this trilogy to me is a hiccup, a pause, a chapter if you will. The third book (per reviews) is supposed to be much better. Hopefully Suzanne Collins will not disappoint in Book Three. Catching Fire certainly has!

jmourgos | Sep 12, 2014 |
Catching Fire:
I’m a little more than one third of the way through the book and it has kept me on the edge of my seat the whole time. I love these types of rebellion stories and can’t wait to see how it turns out. I read the Hunger Games a year or two ago and loved it and it’s about time I finished the series. Haymitch is still my favorite character and I hope he doesn’t die. Once I finish the book I’ll have loads more to talk about but for now DON’T SPOIL IT! ( )
  ColinSlon | Sep 11, 2014 |
I liked the second half of the novel much more than I liked the first. The first was pretty boring. Katniss is back at District 12 and going through life. She wants Peeta to be with her, but feels like she has chosen Gale.

I hate love triangles, especially one as badly done as this so I didn't really care much about Katniss' inner turmoil as she tried to decide which guy is right for her. If we had seen more from Gale, then I think I would have maybe understood this triangle more, but in the Hunger Games, we saw him in the beginning and in the end. Peeta was the main guy in that book and so we saw more of his feelings.

In Catching Fire, Gale is in the beginning and end and once again Peeta is the main guy in this book. I don't really understand how we're suppose to root for Gale when we hardly know him.

The second half of the novel is Katniss going back to the Hunger Games. I'm not going to lie, when I first saw this I was wondering why we had to do this again. But the more I read from it, the more I liked it. The allies were good and I really liked Johanna and Finnick. Both were smart and had a good head on their shoulders.

Katniss, was a tad annoying. And Peeta was either being carried or helped in some way. He was pretty much useless.

There was so much more that could have been done, but nothing happened until the end.

Hope Mockingjay is a lot better! ( )
  pdbkwm | Sep 8, 2014 |
Collins has done that rare thing. She has written a sequel that improves upon the first book. As a reader, I felt excited and even hopeful: could it be that this series and its characters were actually going somewhere?

Set down your worries about a sophomore slump. Suzanne Collins has rekindled the crackling tension of her 2008 smash novel, "The Hunger Games." Once again, Katniss Everdeen must fight for her life.
added by stephmo | editPlain Dealer, Rollie Welch (Sep 6, 2009)

The author describes her wearing a series of Cher-worthy costumes in which she confronts poisonous mists, deranged monkeys, and a flock of ''candy pink'' birds equipped with long beaks used to skewer human necks. Great stuff, this. Unfortunately, such startling apparitions too quickly appear and disappear, baubles randomly affixed to a story that's been stretched to gossamer thinness.

Collins, Suzanneprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
McCormick, CarolynNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Ramírez Tello, PilarTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For my parents,
Jane and Michael Collins,
and my parents-in-law,
Dixie and Charles Pryor
I clasp the flask between my hands, even though the warmth from the tea has long since leached into the frozen air.
Dál svírám v dlaních polní láhev, ačkoliv všechno teplo z čaje už dávno vyprchalo do mrazivého vzduchu. Svaly mi tuhnou chladem. Kdyby se teď objevila smečka divokých psů, těžko bych stihla vyšplhat na strom, než na mě zaútočí. Měla bych se zvednout, protáhnout se a rozhýbat si končetiny. Místo toho ale zůstávám sedět, stejně nehybná jako skála pode mnou. Lesní tmu zvolna projasňuje svítání. Se sluncem se nedá bojovat. Mohu pouze bezmocně sledovat, jak signalizuje příchod dne, jehož se už měsíce děsím.
As far as I can tell, they never get up before noon unless there's some sort of national emergency, like my leg hair.
SPARKS ARE IGNITING.
FLAMES ARE SPREADING.
AND THE CAPITOL WANTS REVENGE.

Against all odds, Katniss has won the Hunger Games. She and fellow District 12 tribute Peeta Mellark are miraculously still alive. Katniss should be relieved, happy even. After all, she has returned to her family and her longtime friend, Gale. Yet nothing is the way Katniss wishes it to be. Gale holds her at an icy distance. Peeta has turned his back on her completely. And there are whispers of a rebellion against the Capitol — a rebellion that Katniss and Peeta may have helped create.

Much to her shock, Katniss has fueled an unrest she's afraid she cannot stop. And what scares her even more is that she's not entirely convinced she should try. As time draws near for Katniss and Peeta to visit the districts on the Capitol's cruel Victory Tour, the stakes are higher than ever. If they can't prove, without a shadow of a doubt, that they are lost in their love for each other, the consequences will be horrifying.

Katniss and Peeta
Fight the odds once again, but
Rebellion's afoot.
(passion4reading)

Against all odds, Katniss Everdeen has won the annual Hunger Games with fellow district tribute Peeta Mellark. But it was a victory won by defiance of the Capitol and their harsh rules. Katniss and Peeta should be happy. After all, they have just won for themselves and their families a life of safety and plenty. But there are rumors of rebellion among the subjects, and Katniss and Peeta, to their horror, are the faces of that rebellion. The Capitol is angry. The Capitol wants revenge.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:25:48 -0400)

By winning the annual Hunger Games, District 12 tributes Katniss Everdeen and Peeta Mellark have secured a life of safety and plenty for themselves and their families, but because they won by defying the rules, they unwittingly become the faces of an impending rebellion.… (more)

Three editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,736,396 books! | Top bar: Always visible