Vlammen by Suzanne Collins

Vlammen (original 2009; edition 2009)

by Suzanne Collins

Info:Houten Van Goor cop. 2009
Collections:E-books, Your library
Rating:*****
Tags:Toekomst, Roman, Fictie, Jongvolwassenen

Catching Fire (The Second Book of the Hunger Games) by Suzanne Collins (2009)

The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins (sarkisi_beyaz)
    Mockingjay by Suzanne Collins (djlewis)
    Tomorrow, When The War Began by John Marsden (Anonymous user)
    Anonymous user: Fans of the Hunger Games might enjoy Marsden's tale of action, survival and growing up.
    The Giver by Lois Lowry (jessicastatzer)
    Little Brother by Cory Doctorow (Awesomeness1)
    Unwind by Neal Shusterman (Anonymous user)
    The Other Side of the Island by Allegra Goodman (cransell)

English (1,359)  Spanish (7)  German (4)  Italian (4)  French (4)  Dutch (3)  Catalan (3)  Hungarian (2)  Romanian (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  Finnish (1)  Indonesian (1)  Danish (1)  All languages (1,391)
Not as good as the first book in the series, Catching Fire still does have some fun parts. However, the plot setup is unreasonable - the 3rd Quarter Quell's premise is one that doesn't make any political or economic sense if you're the Capitol and are trying to keep the Districts in line.

The ending is also ridiculous, and impossible in the real world. Passable for a YA book, however. ( )
  bdtrump | May 9, 2015 |
I started this way way way back before these books were popular (such a hipster) and then tossed it because I couldn't get interested. I'm making myself try again now that they're such a big deal (I miss so many references these days)

This time, I really really liked it. It's quite good, though it will never be my favorite and I still think the whole franchise/fanbase is a bit overblown.

Plus, Suzanne Collins just can't write an ending to save her life. Every time, it just falls flat for me. It all goes BOOM and I can't quite understand what's happening. She just gets so excited...

I'm also sick of the whole love triangle thing, but I have always hated those terrors. Freaking hate them. And Katniss is just kind of an idiot. Well, really an idiot. A gutsy idiot. A likable idiot. But an idiot. Peeta is sweet. Gale doesn't have much of a personality.

So, yeah. This review is all over the place. Good book. ( )
  BrynDahlquis | May 7, 2015 |
Well that’s a first. First time a sequel has bettered its predecessor. This book was so demanding I just had to keep coming back to finish it. Absolutely riveting. The books certainly have advantages over the films in that they can build minute details into each flawed character that you are never quite sure of anyone. I love it for its sheer pulling power.
Now I’m going to read something completely different just to clear my head and test the drawing power of the final part.
  MathewBridle | May 4, 2015 |
Again, I would give this more than five stars if I could. Incredible. ( )
  KR_Patterson | Apr 28, 2015 |
A bit angst filled but it is aimed at the teenage market. I enjoyed this series but it got a bit too much as I read on... ( )
  Ben_Harnwell | Apr 26, 2015 |
Collins has done that rare thing. She has written a sequel that improves upon the first book. As a reader, I felt excited and even hopeful: could it be that this series and its characters were actually going somewhere?

Set down your worries about a sophomore slump. Suzanne Collins has rekindled the crackling tension of her 2008 smash novel, "The Hunger Games." Once again, Katniss Everdeen must fight for her life.
added by stephmo | editPlain Dealer, Rollie Welch (Sep 6, 2009)

The author describes her wearing a series of Cher-worthy costumes in which she confronts poisonous mists, deranged monkeys, and a flock of ''candy pink'' birds equipped with long beaks used to skewer human necks. Great stuff, this. Unfortunately, such startling apparitions too quickly appear and disappear, baubles randomly affixed to a story that's been stretched to gossamer thinness.

Collins, Suzanneprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
For my parents,
Jane and Michael Collins,
and my parents-in-law,
Dixie and Charles Pryor
I clasp the flask between my hands, even though the warmth from the tea has long since leached into the frozen air.
As far as I can tell, they never get up before noon unless there's some sort of national emergency, like my leg hair.
SPARKS ARE IGNITING.
FLAMES ARE SPREADING.
AND THE CAPITOL WANTS REVENGE.

Against all odds, Katniss has won the Hunger Games. She and fellow District 12 tribute Peeta Mellark are miraculously still alive. Katniss should be relieved, happy even. After all, she has returned to her family and her longtime friend, Gale. Yet nothing is the way Katniss wishes it to be. Gale holds her at an icy distance. Peeta has turned his back on her completely. And there are whispers of a rebellion against the Capitol — a rebellion that Katniss and Peeta may have helped create.

Much to her shock, Katniss has fueled an unrest she's afraid she cannot stop. And what scares her even more is that she's not entirely convinced she should try. As time draws near for Katniss and Peeta to visit the districts on the Capitol's cruel Victory Tour, the stakes are higher than ever. If they can't prove, without a shadow of a doubt, that they are lost in their love for each other, the consequences will be horrifying.

BL: 5.3 - AR Pts: 16.0
Katniss and Peeta
Fight the odds once again, but
Rebellion's afoot.
(passion4reading)

Against all odds, Katniss Everdeen has won the annual Hunger Games with fellow district tribute Peeta Mellark. But it was a victory won by defiance of the Capitol and their harsh rules. Katniss and Peeta should be happy. After all, they have just won for themselves and their families a life of safety and plenty. But there are rumors of rebellion among the subjects, and Katniss and Peeta, to their horror, are the faces of that rebellion. The Capitol is angry. The Capitol wants revenge.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:25:48 -0400)

By winning the annual Hunger Games, District 12 tributes Katniss Everdeen and Peeta Mellark have secured a life of safety and plenty for themselves and their families, but because they won by defying the rules, they unwittingly become the faces of an impending rebellion.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 97,216,234 books! | Top bar: Always visible