Catching fire by Suzanne Collins

Catching fire (edition 2009)

by Suzanne Collins

30,392154427 (4.22)1 / 916
Member:Jules680
Title:Catching fire
Authors:Suzanne Collins
Info:New York : Scholastic Press, 2009.
Collections:Read but unowned
Rating:*****

Catching Fire by Suzanne Collins

English (1,507)  Spanish (8)  German (5)  Italian (4)  French (4)  Dutch (3)  Catalan (3)  Hungarian (2)  All (1)  Romanian (1)  Finnish (1)  Indonesian (1)  Danish (1)  All (1,541)
Even though I LOVED the first book, I must say I found this one quite boring until I reached about 70% of it. After that it got better, but unfortunately, nothing like the first one. Besides, Katniss is quite unnerving, there's some things you can't believe she doesn't get right away, when she herself talked about them in the first book.

The good news is, I'm already reading the third one and I'm loving it so far ;) ( )
  Danyspike | Jan 13, 2017 |
The first book was more absorbing in my perspective with the first look of the Hunger Games. However, Catching Fire is also interesting as winners fight other winners. There are many unique characters with their own personalities and well-known traits. Nonetheless, the novel is very captivating with many action-packed scenes. I would recommend this book to those who enjoy books with action at every turn. ( )
  justinl1389 | Jan 5, 2017 |
I thought it was slow. I look forward to the movie to see how they will portray some of the events. I want to see the wedding dress transform as Katniss twirls. Why was district 12 destroyed? ( )
  jothebookgirl | Jan 3, 2017 |
Catching Fire has no heat

The first book was new and interesting but the second one, Catching Fire, really dropped the ball for me.

** Minor Spoilers **

Katniss is our main character, a 17 year old girl with an unerring aim with the bow & arrow but can't really handle boys, kissing or girl talk. The story starts with her struggle to handle her new-found fame as the winner of the Hunger Games with the unusual result of winning with Peeta, which we know from the last book her attempted suicide prevented by The Capitol, the police state that runs the Hunger Games and 12 Districts.

Katniss as a character was very uneven and at times unrealistic. Her inability to handle the President Snow's threat to kill her beloved Gale (whom she keeps denying she has any feelings for) by running away and vomiting – I mean, really?

The other characters in the book seem to have to deal with her inabilities and faults and do it quite well. There are times in the story where their criticisms of Katniss align with my own: Why criticize her mother when she is a much better healer than Katniss? Why run at the jabberjays sent by the Capitol to demoralize her by imitating her sister Prim? And when she knows it's a trick, keeps falling for it anyway. Gosh!

Without revealing too much, her selfishness collides strongly with her sudden desire to protect Peeta to the death. And when the Hunger Games are redone as the Quarter Quell (where the Capitol, at an anniversary of the Games and to show the Districts whose boss, bring in all the past victors into one big battle), again why would the Capitol do that?

They are already dealing with the unexpected protests set off by a reluctant revolutionary in Katniss (who really has no clue what she's really done until the end) so why further inflame the populace by killing more of the District's heroes from past Games?

Bottom Line: Inconsistent characterization with Katniss made it very hard to sympathize with her. The actions of The Capitol, even as a police state that it was, were hardly logical and only further inflame the populace!

The second book of this trilogy to me is a hiccup, a pause, a chapter if you will. The third book (per reviews) is supposed to be much better. Hopefully Suzanne Collins will not disappoint in Book Three. Catching Fire certainly has!

James_Mourgos | Dec 22, 2016 |
The second book in the Hunger Games series. Unfortunately to me it wasn't as enjoyable as the first one.

Peeta and Katniss are back home and their lives have changed a ton in the few months since they won their Hunger Games. They have hot water from a tap, big houses, are rich, etc. Of course, the Capitol is still pissed off by a couple of the things they did during the games and when they go on their victory to tour they don't really help their cause either.

Then the Quarter Quell comes up, which is a super special and different Hunger Games that happens every twenty-five years. And this time, Peeta and Katniss, manage to get pulled back into the arena and this one's a doosy.

During all this there's also uprising talk, and it seems as though the entire country of Panem is just a powder keg waiting to see if someone drops a match on it or not.

I think one of the reasons I didn't like this book quite as much as the first was that it was much more political. Much more tactical and chess like. Not to mention there was much more time for the romance plot lines, which are not my favorite parts.

I did like the further exploration of the question. What is or isn't in district thirteen. Does it exist, did it ever exist, or what? It was well done and there was just enough cliffhanger on that question (as well as some others). Collins does cliffhangers well, to keep me interested for the next book.

All in all a solid 3 star book, just more of a bridge book and not quite as as great as the first one. ( )
  DanieXJ | Dec 8, 2016 |
Collins has done that rare thing. She has written a sequel that improves upon the first book. As a reader, I felt excited and even hopeful: could it be that this series and its characters were actually going somewhere?

Set down your worries about a sophomore slump. Suzanne Collins has rekindled the crackling tension of her 2008 smash novel, "The Hunger Games." Once again, Katniss Everdeen must fight for her life.
added by stephmo | editPlain Dealer, Rollie Welch (Sep 6, 2009)

The author describes her wearing a series of Cher-worthy costumes in which she confronts poisonous mists, deranged monkeys, and a flock of ''candy pink'' birds equipped with long beaks used to skewer human necks. Great stuff, this. Unfortunately, such startling apparitions too quickly appear and disappear, baubles randomly affixed to a story that's been stretched to gossamer thinness.

Collins, Suzanneprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
For my parents,
Jane and Michael Collins,

and my parents-in-law,
Dixie and Charles Pryor
I clasp the flask between my hands, even though the warmth from the tea has long since leached into the frozen air.
As far as I can tell, they never get up before noon unless there's some sort of national emergency, like my leg hair.
SPARKS ARE IGNITING.
FLAMES ARE SPREADING.
AND THE CAPITOL WANTS REVENGE.

Against all odds, Katniss has won the Hunger Games. She and fellow District 12 tribute Peeta Mellark are miraculously still alive. Katniss should be relieved, happy even. After all, she has returned to her family and her longtime friend, Gale. Yet nothing is the way Katniss wishes it to be. Gale holds her at an icy distance. Peeta has turned his back on her completely. And there are whispers of a rebellion against the Capitol — a rebellion that Katniss and Peeta may have helped create.

Much to her shock, Katniss has fueled an unrest she's afraid she cannot stop. And what scares her even more is that she's not entirely convinced she should try. As time draws near for Katniss and Peeta to visit the districts on the Capitol's cruel Victory Tour, the stakes are higher than ever. If they can't prove, without a shadow of a doubt, that they are lost in their love for each other, the consequences will be horrifying.

BL: 5.3 - AR Pts: 16.0
Katniss and Peeta
Fight the odds once again, but
Rebellion's afoot.
(passion4reading)

Against all odds, Katniss Everdeen has won the annual Hunger Games with fellow district tribute Peeta Mellark. But it was a victory won by defiance of the Capitol and their harsh rules. Katniss and Peeta should be happy. After all, they have just won for themselves and their families a life of safety and plenty. But there are rumors of rebellion among the subjects, and Katniss and Peeta, to their horror, are the faces of that rebellion. The Capitol is angry. The Capitol wants revenge.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:07:14 -0400)

By winning the annual Hunger Games, District 12 tributes Katniss Everdeen and Peeta Mellark have secured a life of safety and plenty for themselves and their families, but because they won by defying the rules, they unwittingly become the faces of an impending rebellion.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 111,614,483 books! | Top bar: Always visible