Catching fire by Suzanne Collins

Catching fire (original 2009; edition 2009)

by Suzanne Collins

25,803135444 (4.24)1 / 859
Member:Jules680
Title:Catching fire
Authors:Suzanne Collins
Info:New York : Scholastic Press, 2009.
Collections:Read but unowned
Rating:*****

Catching Fire by Suzanne Collins (2009)

The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins (sarkisi_beyaz)
    Tomorrow, When The War Began by John Marsden (Anonymous user)
    Anonymous user: Fans of the Hunger Games might enjoy Marsden's tale of action, survival and growing up.
    Mockingjay by Suzanne Collins (djlewis)
    The Giver by Lois Lowry (jessicastatzer)
    Little Brother by Cory Doctorow (Awesomeness1)
    Unwind by Neal Shusterman (Anonymous user)
    The Other Side of the Island by Allegra Goodman (cransell)

English (1,318)  Spanish (6)  German (4)  Italian (4)  French (4)  Dutch (3)  Catalan (3)  Hungarian (2)  Romanian (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  Finnish (1)  Indonesian (1)  Danish (1)  All languages (1,349)
(7.0)
  mshampson | Oct 15, 2014 |
Spoiler alert: Ok. The games made for aninteresting character study in the first book, but were just filler in here. Katniss became super annoying as a plot device. She also got dumber. I like the general story arc of the rebellion and the idea that Katniss needs to come to her own conclusions about that, but another gamex to bring everyone together? President Snow also did a lot of blatantly stupid things. I just felt like the storyline got too contrived about 30% in. ( )
  CassandraT | Oct 10, 2014 |
I'm annoyed at times by the writing in this trilogy, but of course, the story is stellar. And next to Lisbeth Salander, Katniss Everdeen is one of the best. characters. ever. ( )
  KateRobinson | Oct 4, 2014 |
All in all i thought the second half was better than the first and as such i think i would rank this book slightly higher than Hunger Games. Although i should mention the back and forth of katniss love feeling grew extremely tiresome. She loves Gale and tells Peeta as much. Then off to the games and now its all about Peeta, then at the end it gos back to Gale. And once has there been any actual feeling involved with the whole thing.

The ideas presented at times were quite innovative and i was genuinely surpirsed and followed the characters around, but other revelations felt a little over explained as if the author needed to do some hand holding.

I think although the tactics were more brutal in these Games by the tributes (and understandably so) the actual writing and descriptions were less so; as if the reader was not supposed to focus on the fighting, just on who was left and that people were trying to save other people.

On to the third... ( )
  T4NK | Sep 30, 2014 |
READ IN ENGLISH/DUTCH

Spoilers!!! Beware!!!

When I first read the Hunger Games in 2009 I really liked it, and couldn't wait for Catching Fire, which was by that time due in a few months. My sister and I bought the book as soon as possible.

I'd been wondering though what exactly would happen in this book and the one that turned out to be Mockingjay. One of the strengths of THG was in my opinion the arena and the 'actual' 74th Hunger Games.

So, when I found out we were in fact returning to the arena, I had some mixed feelings. I was glad, because that was what I liked the other time, but it also felt a bit as a device to 'never change a winning team'. I really liked the clock-arena though, I thought that was very clever.

I liked how, when President Snow is telling Katniss he's seen her with Gale, (and the television people have changed him into her cousin), he says something about her family 'and all those .... cousins.' Such a shame it didn't make the movie.

I liked that Gale was absent for the rest of the book :). I liked Finnick and his sarcasm. Then, what didn't I like? For me, the ending felt rushed and very confusing. I understand she was creating a cliffhanger of course, but I had to go back and reread in order to understand what she was doing, because so much happened in so few pages. Still, I really enjoyed reading this book, and even pre-ordered Mockingjay because of it. (It's the only book so far I've ever pre-ordered). ( )
  Floratina | Sep 25, 2014 |
Collins has done that rare thing. She has written a sequel that improves upon the first book. As a reader, I felt excited and even hopeful: could it be that this series and its characters were actually going somewhere?

Set down your worries about a sophomore slump. Suzanne Collins has rekindled the crackling tension of her 2008 smash novel, "The Hunger Games." Once again, Katniss Everdeen must fight for her life.
added by stephmo | editPlain Dealer, Rollie Welch (Sep 6, 2009)

The author describes her wearing a series of Cher-worthy costumes in which she confronts poisonous mists, deranged monkeys, and a flock of ''candy pink'' birds equipped with long beaks used to skewer human necks. Great stuff, this. Unfortunately, such startling apparitions too quickly appear and disappear, baubles randomly affixed to a story that's been stretched to gossamer thinness.

Collins, Suzanneprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
McCormick, CarolynNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Ramírez Tello, PilarTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For my parents,
Jane and Michael Collins,
and my parents-in-law,
Dixie and Charles Pryor
I clasp the flask between my hands, even though the warmth from the tea has long since leached into the frozen air.
Dál svírám v dlaních polní láhev, ačkoliv všechno teplo z čaje už dávno vyprchalo do mrazivého vzduchu. Svaly mi tuhnou chladem. Kdyby se teď objevila smečka divokých psů, těžko bych stihla vyšplhat na strom, než na mě zaútočí. Měla bych se zvednout, protáhnout se a rozhýbat si končetiny. Místo toho ale zůstávám sedět, stejně nehybná jako skála pode mnou. Lesní tmu zvolna projasňuje svítání. Se sluncem se nedá bojovat. Mohu pouze bezmocně sledovat, jak signalizuje příchod dne, jehož se už měsíce děsím.
As far as I can tell, they never get up before noon unless there's some sort of national emergency, like my leg hair.
SPARKS ARE IGNITING.
FLAMES ARE SPREADING.
AND THE CAPITOL WANTS REVENGE.

Against all odds, Katniss has won the Hunger Games. She and fellow District 12 tribute Peeta Mellark are miraculously still alive. Katniss should be relieved, happy even. After all, she has returned to her family and her longtime friend, Gale. Yet nothing is the way Katniss wishes it to be. Gale holds her at an icy distance. Peeta has turned his back on her completely. And there are whispers of a rebellion against the Capitol — a rebellion that Katniss and Peeta may have helped create.

Much to her shock, Katniss has fueled an unrest she's afraid she cannot stop. And what scares her even more is that she's not entirely convinced she should try. As time draws near for Katniss and Peeta to visit the districts on the Capitol's cruel Victory Tour, the stakes are higher than ever. If they can't prove, without a shadow of a doubt, that they are lost in their love for each other, the consequences will be horrifying.

Katniss and Peeta
Fight the odds once again, but
Rebellion's afoot.
(passion4reading)

Against all odds, Katniss Everdeen has won the annual Hunger Games with fellow district tribute Peeta Mellark. But it was a victory won by defiance of the Capitol and their harsh rules. Katniss and Peeta should be happy. After all, they have just won for themselves and their families a life of safety and plenty. But there are rumors of rebellion among the subjects, and Katniss and Peeta, to their horror, are the faces of that rebellion. The Capitol is angry. The Capitol wants revenge.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:25:48 -0400)

By winning the annual Hunger Games, District 12 tributes Katniss Everdeen and Peeta Mellark have secured a life of safety and plenty for themselves and their families, but because they won by defying the rules, they unwittingly become the faces of an impending rebellion.… (more)

Three editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,318,166 books! | Top bar: Always visible