The Hunger Games : Catching Fire by Suzanne…

The Hunger Games : Catching Fire (edition 2011)

by Suzanne Collins

27,012140237 (4.22)1 / 890
Member:YolaNL
Title:The Hunger Games : Catching Fire
Authors:Suzanne Collins (Author)
Info:Scholastic Fiction (2011), Edition: 1, Kindle Edition, 404 pages
Tags:fiction, fantasy

Catching Fire (The Second Book of the Hunger Games) by Suzanne Collins

The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins (sarkisi_beyaz)
    Mockingjay (The Hunger Games, Book 3) by Suzanne Collins (djlewis)
    Tomorrow, When The War Began by John Marsden (Anonymous user)
    Anonymous user: Fans of the Hunger Games might enjoy Marsden's tale of action, survival and growing up.
    The Giver by Lois Lowry (jessicastatzer)
    Little Brother by Cory Doctorow (Awesomeness1)
    Unwind by Neal Shusterman (Anonymous user)
    The Other Side of the Island by Allegra Goodman (cransell)

English (1,368)  Spanish (7)  German (5)  Italian (4)  French (4)  Dutch (3)  Catalan (3)  Hungarian (2)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  Romanian (1)  Finnish (1)  Indonesian (1)  Danish (1)  All languages (1,401)
Catching Fire was surprisingly better than The Hunger Games for me. I liked the plot a lot more and the writing style wasn't as annoying, maybe I'm getting use to it. What I still dislike about this series so far is Katniss' character, the extent her being naive is ridiculously unrealistic. I would of loved to see the book once again go in a different way from how it was building up from the 1st half then it goes back to basically being like the first book. What was enjoyable about it was the other stuff going on that didn't really involve Katniss, and that was the uprisings going on. I get that she is the face of them but she really has very little to do with them and complains about her role and such small stuff while huge things are going on. I liked the ending, it was quick though but it does make me look forward to reading the next book. ( )
  GrlIntrrptdRdng | Jun 28, 2015 |
  GrlIntrrptdRdng | Jun 28, 2015 |
loved it, just as much as the first! ( )
  jenngv | Jun 25, 2015 |
A bit more intense than the first, but for me, I felt like it was a little slower at the same time. Still one of my favorites though ( )
  valesbookshelf | Jun 23, 2015 |
Catching Fire was good. Not spectacular, not as good as The Hunger Games, but good. I don't have too much to say about Catching Fire, except that I can feel Peeta's pain. He loves Katniss so much, yet she is such a teenage girl that she can't even tell him how she feels about him, even if she isn't 100% sure.

As for President Snow and the Capitals, I actually don't hate him, but I still don't like him or the things that the Capital does.

Overall I found Catching Fire to be almost a filler in the trilogy. ( )
  momma182 | Jun 23, 2015 |
Collins has done that rare thing. She has written a sequel that improves upon the first book. As a reader, I felt excited and even hopeful: could it be that this series and its characters were actually going somewhere?

Set down your worries about a sophomore slump. Suzanne Collins has rekindled the crackling tension of her 2008 smash novel, "The Hunger Games." Once again, Katniss Everdeen must fight for her life.
added by stephmo | editPlain Dealer, Rollie Welch (Sep 6, 2009)

The author describes her wearing a series of Cher-worthy costumes in which she confronts poisonous mists, deranged monkeys, and a flock of ''candy pink'' birds equipped with long beaks used to skewer human necks. Great stuff, this. Unfortunately, such startling apparitions too quickly appear and disappear, baubles randomly affixed to a story that's been stretched to gossamer thinness.

Collins, Suzanneprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
For my parents,
Jane and Michael Collins,
and my parents-in-law,
Dixie and Charles Pryor
I clasp the flask between my hands, even though the warmth from the tea has long since leached into the frozen air.
As far as I can tell, they never get up before noon unless there's some sort of national emergency, like my leg hair.
SPARKS ARE IGNITING.
FLAMES ARE SPREADING.
AND THE CAPITOL WANTS REVENGE.

Against all odds, Katniss has won the Hunger Games. She and fellow District 12 tribute Peeta Mellark are miraculously still alive. Katniss should be relieved, happy even. After all, she has returned to her family and her longtime friend, Gale. Yet nothing is the way Katniss wishes it to be. Gale holds her at an icy distance. Peeta has turned his back on her completely. And there are whispers of a rebellion against the Capitol — a rebellion that Katniss and Peeta may have helped create.

Much to her shock, Katniss has fueled an unrest she's afraid she cannot stop. And what scares her even more is that she's not entirely convinced she should try. As time draws near for Katniss and Peeta to visit the districts on the Capitol's cruel Victory Tour, the stakes are higher than ever. If they can't prove, without a shadow of a doubt, that they are lost in their love for each other, the consequences will be horrifying.

BL: 5.3 - AR Pts: 16.0
Katniss and Peeta
Fight the odds once again, but
Rebellion's afoot.
(passion4reading)

Against all odds, Katniss Everdeen has won the annual Hunger Games with fellow district tribute Peeta Mellark. But it was a victory won by defiance of the Capitol and their harsh rules. Katniss and Peeta should be happy. After all, they have just won for themselves and their families a life of safety and plenty. But there are rumors of rebellion among the subjects, and Katniss and Peeta, to their horror, are the faces of that rebellion. The Capitol is angry. The Capitol wants revenge.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:07:14 -0400)

By winning the annual Hunger Games, District 12 tributes Katniss Everdeen and Peeta Mellark have secured a life of safety and plenty for themselves and their families, but because they won by defying the rules, they unwittingly become the faces of an impending rebellion.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 97,911,908 books! | Top bar: Always visible