The Hunger Games : Catching Fire by Suzanne…

The Hunger Games : Catching Fire (edition 2011)

by Suzanne Collins (Author)

30,932155626 (4.21)1 / 917
Member:YolaNL
Title:The Hunger Games : Catching Fire
Authors:Suzanne Collins (Author)
Info:Scholastic Fiction (2011), Edition: 1, Kindle Edition, 404 pages
Tags:fiction, fantasy

Catching Fire by Suzanne Collins

The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins (sarkisi_beyaz)
    Mockingjay by Suzanne Collins (djlewis)
    The Giver by Lois Lowry (jessicastatzer)
    Tomorrow, When The War Began by John Marsden (Anonymous user)
    Anonymous user: Fans of the Hunger Games might enjoy Marsden's tale of action, survival and growing up.
    Little Brother by Cory Doctorow (Awesomeness1)
    Unwind by Neal Shusterman (Anonymous user)
    Divergent by Veronica Roth (Morteana)
    The Other Side of the Island by Allegra Goodman (cransell)

English (1,513)  Spanish (8)  German (7)  Italian (4)  French (4)  Dutch (3)  Catalan (3)  Hungarian (2)  All (1)  Romanian (1)  Finnish (1)  Indonesian (1)  Danish (1)  All (1,549)
After reading The Hunger Games in one night last August, I read a couple of pages of this book and set it aside, not interested in reading more. Yesterday, I picked it up again, and, as with the first, found it drawing me in. Ms. Collins certainly has a disturbing imagination. ( )
  Razinha | May 23, 2017 |
AMAZING
Better than the first :) ( )
  Megan.Aubrey.Truslow | May 18, 2017 |
I'm very glad I didn't read this series until after all three books had come out. I would have been very upset if I had had to wait to read Catching Fire; but then especially Mockingjay, which I think just recently came out.

What happens to Peeta and Katniss after they win the games? This is the book that tells you.

After Katniss and Peeta decide to kill themselves instead of killing each other at the end of the Games in the first book, the Capitol decides to make life a living hell for them and their families. At first things seem fine - they get to live in the Victor's Village in their own grand houses along side Haymitch's. They have food, money, clothing, and electricity. But life isn't all that great for Katniss. Peeta knows now that she was playing the star crossed lovers thing for the Games. She said throughout The Hunger Games that she wasn't interested in love or marriage or raising children because she would always know that her children would be forced into the games and she couldn't handle that.

Peeta isn't talking to her and Gale is also uncomfortable around her but chances a kiss to try to convince her that she belongs with him instead of Peeta. But the kiss just makes things uncomfortable between the two friends; and the Capitol, President Snow, finds out about it. He realizes she was just playing the lovers thing for the original games.

That's when things go down hill. Ultimately, Peeta, Katniss and several other past winners end up back in the Hunger Games, except that these games are the special 75th anniversary games called the Quarter Quell. The arena is harsher and so are the players. Katniss and Peeta create alliances with some other players. What they aren't told is that pretty much everybody else knows that the ultimate goal is to keep Katniss alive. Peeta thinks his goal is to keep Katniss alive but doesn't understand the rebellion forces supporting him. Katniss thinks her goal is to keep Peeta alive.

The thing is, after they forced the hand of the Capitol at the end of the first book by trying to kill themselves, the Capitol saw it as an act of rebellion. And so did the districts. Districts are beginning to act out against the capitol using the mockingjay pin as their symbol of solidarity and hope.

The book ends with a cliff hanger which would have just killed me had I read these when they first came out.

Now more than ever we see Katniss and Peeta in the roles of Moses and Aaron.

It is an excellent sequel to the first book with the characters staying true to form all the way through. We see more of the post traumatic stress syndrome but now we see it from Katniss and Peeta as they deal with the nightmares of surviving the arena. We get a little more understanding of Haymitch and why he is the way he is. It's just excellent. ( )
  wendithegray | May 1, 2017 |
Before I ever read it, I heard that Katniss was somehow sent back into the ring, and I could not think of a way for that to work out well, since the whole point of the survivors was to be 'champions' that didn't have to worry any more about anything. Of course it was some kind of ruse by President Snow to 'get back' at Katniss, but I couldn't think of how he could get away with it. I was pleasantly surprised.

Katniss, on an instinctual level is dangerous and incredibly observant. Her intuition is almost flawless when dealing with people who are her enemies, but friends and family she can be a bit self absorbed, and even worse, people who honestly want to help her, she almost always gets wrong, assuming they have ulterior motives.

But other than wanting to slap Katniss across the face a couple times to make her see what was going on, I was hooked on the story and I hope to find time soon to finish the trilogy. ( )
  readafew | Apr 26, 2017 |
For my review, please visit my blog: Martin's View: Catching Fire. ( )
  Martin_Maenza | Apr 14, 2017 |
Collins has done that rare thing. She has written a sequel that improves upon the first book. As a reader, I felt excited and even hopeful: could it be that this series and its characters were actually going somewhere?

The author describes her wearing a series of Cher-worthy costumes in which she confronts poisonous mists, deranged monkeys, and a flock of ''candy pink'' birds equipped with long beaks used to skewer human necks. Great stuff, this. Unfortunately, such startling apparitions too quickly appear and disappear, baubles randomly affixed to a story that's been stretched to gossamer thinness.

Collins, Suzanneprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
For my parents,
Jane and Michael Collins,

and my parents-in-law,
Dixie and Charles Pryor
I clasp the flask between my hands, even though the warmth from the tea has long since leached into the frozen air.
As far as I can tell, they never get up before noon unless there's some sort of national emergency, like my leg hair.
SPARKS ARE IGNITING.
FLAMES ARE SPREADING.
AND THE CAPITOL WANTS REVENGE.

Against all odds, Katniss has won the Hunger Games. She and fellow District 12 tribute Peeta Mellark are miraculously still alive. Katniss should be relieved, happy even. After all, she has returned to her family and her longtime friend, Gale. Yet nothing is the way Katniss wishes it to be. Gale holds her at an icy distance. Peeta has turned his back on her completely. And there are whispers of a rebellion against the Capitol — a rebellion that Katniss and Peeta may have helped create.

Much to her shock, Katniss has fueled an unrest she's afraid she cannot stop. And what scares her even more is that she's not entirely convinced she should try. As time draws near for Katniss and Peeta to visit the districts on the Capitol's cruel Victory Tour, the stakes are higher than ever. If they can't prove, without a shadow of a doubt, that they are lost in their love for each other, the consequences will be horrifying.

BL: 5.3 - AR Pts: 16.0
Katniss and Peeta
Fight the odds once again, but
Rebellion's afoot.
(passion4reading)

Against all odds, Katniss Everdeen has won the annual Hunger Games with fellow district tribute Peeta Mellark. But it was a victory won by defiance of the Capitol and their harsh rules. Katniss and Peeta should be happy. After all, they have just won for themselves and their families a life of safety and plenty. But there are rumors of rebellion among the subjects, and Katniss and Peeta, to their horror, are the faces of that rebellion. The Capitol is angry. The Capitol wants revenge.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:07:14 -0400)

By winning the annual Hunger Games, District 12 tributes Katniss Everdeen and Peeta Mellark have secured a life of safety and plenty for themselves and their families, but because they won by defying the rules, they unwittingly become the faces of an impending rebellion.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 114,437,200 books! | Top bar: Always visible