Catching Fire by Suzanne Collins

Catching Fire (original 2009; edition 2009)

by Suzanne Collins

25,007133644 (4.24)1 / 853
Member:thewakebehindyou
Title:Catching Fire
Authors:Suzanne Collins
Info:Scholastic, Inc (2009), Paperback, 391 pages
Rating:**
Tags:Fiction, YA, Dystopian

Catching Fire by Suzanne Collins (2009)

2010 (131) 2011 (141) 2012 (187) action (145) adventure (420) dystopia (1,214) dystopian (428) ebook (222) fantasy (622) fiction (1,447) friendship (129) future (205) futuristic (133) Hunger Games (408) Kindle (199) love (134) novel (121) post-apocalyptic (286) read (302) read in 2012 (136) rebellion (242) romance (209) science fiction (1,404) series (397) survival (601) teen (203) to-read (124) YA (816) young adult (1,196) young adult fiction (169)
    The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins (sarkisi_beyaz)
    Tomorrow, When The War Began by John Marsden (Anonymous user)
    Anonymous user: Fans of the Hunger Games might enjoy Marsden's tale of action, survival and growing up.
    Mockingjay by Suzanne Collins (djlewis)
    The Giver by Lois Lowry (jessicastatzer)
    Little Brother by Cory Doctorow (Awesomeness1)
    Unwind by Neal Shusterman (Anonymous user)
    The Other Side of the Island by Allegra Goodman (cransell)

English (1,301)  Spanish (6)  German (4)  Italian (4)  French (4)  Dutch (3)  Catalan (3)  Hungarian (2)  Romanian (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  Finnish (1)  Indonesian (1)  Danish (1)  All languages (1,332)
I thoroughly enjoyed this book. In fact, I'd go so far as to say that it's one of the best books I've read recently (not that there's much competition, since the last few have been duds).

There was much more to this one than Hunger Games, so you really had a plot you could sink your teeth into. It took me longer to get through than the first one, but only because there was more to take in. Collins didn't play into the love triangle too much, which was refreshing since that's all anyone seems to focus on anymore, but there were times where I would have liked a touch more of it. Well, ok, just one time, really. Not much, just a line or so, particularly from Peeta. We get a glimpse of Gale's opinion of the competition, for lack of a better term, after they meet, but we don't really know how Peeta feels about Gale. It would have only taken a line or two, just like she did with Gale. That's the only thing I would have liked to see added.

Otherwise, I thought it was the perfect sequel to Hunger Games. Predictable in areas, yes, but still the perfect way to follow the first installment. I actually liked this book much more than the fist one, to be perfectly honest.

Oh, and for everyone who tells you there's a cliff hanger at the end... there really isn't. Not a big one at least. I mean you definitely want to know what happens, but it's not like it's going to keep you up at night. Fear not the "cliff hanger". It's more of a ledge than a cliff. ( )
  cebellol | Jul 22, 2014 |
So, I completed the second installment in the Hunger Games novels and I have to say that I wasn't disappointed in it! I found that the problems that I had with the first novel (catching myself analyzing the writing style) weren't as evident in this novel.

So... to begin my drabblings, I'll once more do a little move/book comparison. I've honestly never seen a novel series that did so well translated into movies. I don't know what it is, but they really have managed to make sure that they capture the essence of the book in the movie. However, something that I really enjoy that is a complete contrast is the fact that it is all from the POV of Katniss. There is no panning away to see what other people are doing, saying, feeling. It's just her, her POV, her thoughts, her feelings. We are never jarred out of the world of her emotions, and I love that. It makes me feel so much closer to the character than I would have otherwise, and that's something that I really enjoy about a novel.

Going on from that, I really liked the character development. Perhaps it's just me, but I always feel like I get to know characters better via books than I ever could through movies. I once more found Peeta such a hearbreakingly wonderful character that I couldn't help but to love him. He is so earnest in his emotions for Katniss that it is palpable. More than that, the description of how Katniss feels when she kisses him makes the bond forged between them so much more believable. It shows the great development of emotions that spans across the two books, and it's something that I support!

Even the other side characters such as Finnick and Johanna were more developed. I really started to get into the character of Finnick just by the descriptions of his actions, the things that he did throughout the book. And, of course, Johanna was as perfectly standoffish as in the movie, but still an amazing character.

Overall, I was once more extremely fond of the vivid descriptions - each slice of the arena that was described gave me a huge sense of how cruel the game masters were, how much so many of the people simply don't care about the lives of the people in the arena. Even the heartfelt emotions of the people during their interviews... I can't say enough about the descriptions of this book, though I don't want to say too much on the off chance that someone hasn't read it.

Overall... love the book. I'd give it at least a 8/10 on the must read scale! ( )
  egodominustuus | Jul 20, 2014 |
While Collins will never win awards for her prose, there's something about her clipped, direct style that makes her compulsively readable. Intelligent, thought-provoking, this is a worthy sequel to the first Hunger Games book. ( )
  salimbol | Jul 18, 2014 |
The first book focused more on the aspect of the games -- so it was fast and furious, a real page-turner. This second installment focused more on fleshing out the relationship aspects of all the main characters, but the story is by no means slow. In addition, there's the matter of inciting an uprising and determining where loyalties lie, with surprises at every turn. Great read! 5 stars from me! Looking forward to finishing up the 'Hunger Games' series, with the third book 'Mockingjay'. ( )
  MomsterBookworm | Jul 14, 2014 |
If you liked The Hunger Games, then this is a must-read. It was almost as good as the first one (and that was a high standard for me). Fantastic plot, wonderful characters, intriguing action. Read it. ( )
  Tigerlily12 | Jul 8, 2014 |
Collins has done that rare thing. She has written a sequel that improves upon the first book. As a reader, I felt excited and even hopeful: could it be that this series and its characters were actually going somewhere?

Set down your worries about a sophomore slump. Suzanne Collins has rekindled the crackling tension of her 2008 smash novel, "The Hunger Games." Once again, Katniss Everdeen must fight for her life.
added by stephmo | editPlain Dealer, Rollie Welch (Sep 6, 2009)

The author describes her wearing a series of Cher-worthy costumes in which she confronts poisonous mists, deranged monkeys, and a flock of ''candy pink'' birds equipped with long beaks used to skewer human necks. Great stuff, this. Unfortunately, such startling apparitions too quickly appear and disappear, baubles randomly affixed to a story that's been stretched to gossamer thinness.

Collins, Suzanneprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
McCormick, CarolynNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Ramírez Tello, PilarTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For my parents,
Jane and Michael Collins,
and my parents-in-law,
Dixie and Charles Pryor
I clasp the flask between my hands, even though the warmth from the tea has long since leached into the frozen air.
Dál svírám v dlaních polní láhev, ačkoliv všechno teplo z čaje už dávno vyprchalo do mrazivého vzduchu. Svaly mi tuhnou chladem. Kdyby se teď objevila smečka divokých psů, těžko bych stihla vyšplhat na strom, než na mě zaútočí. Měla bych se zvednout, protáhnout se a rozhýbat si končetiny. Místo toho ale zůstávám sedět, stejně nehybná jako skála pode mnou. Lesní tmu zvolna projasňuje svítání. Se sluncem se nedá bojovat. Mohu pouze bezmocně sledovat, jak signalizuje příchod dne, jehož se už měsíce děsím.
As far as I can tell, they never get up before noon unless there's some sort of national emergency, like my leg hair.
SPARKS ARE IGNITING.
FLAMES ARE SPREADING.
AND THE CAPITOL WANTS REVENGE.

Against all odds, Katniss has won the Hunger Games. She and fellow District 12 tribute Peeta Mellark are miraculously still alive. Katniss should be relieved, happy even. After all, she has returned to her family and her longtime friend, Gale. Yet nothing is the way Katniss wishes it to be. Gale holds her at an icy distance. Peeta has turned his back on her completely. And there are whispers of a rebellion against the Capitol — a rebellion that Katniss and Peeta may have helped create.

Much to her shock, Katniss has fueled an unrest she's afraid she cannot stop. And what scares her even more is that she's not entirely convinced she should try. As time draws near for Katniss and Peeta to visit the districts on the Capitol's cruel Victory Tour, the stakes are higher than ever. If they can't prove, without a shadow of a doubt, that they are lost in their love for each other, the consequences will be horrifying.

Katniss and Peeta
Fight the odds once again, but
Rebellion's afoot.
(passion4reading)

Against all odds, Katniss Everdeen has won the annual Hunger Games with fellow district tribute Peeta Mellark. But it was a victory won by defiance of the Capitol and their harsh rules. Katniss and Peeta should be happy. After all, they have just won for themselves and their families a life of safety and plenty. But there are rumors of rebellion among the subjects, and Katniss and Peeta, to their horror, are the faces of that rebellion. The Capitol is angry. The Capitol wants revenge.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:25:48 -0400)

By winning the annual Hunger Games, District 12 tributes Katniss Everdeen and Peeta Mellark have secured a life of safety and plenty for themselves and their families, but because they won by defying the rules, they unwittingly become the faces of an impending rebellion.… (more)

Three editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,476,476 books! | Top bar: Always visible