Catching Fire (Hunger Games, Book 2) by…

Catching Fire (Hunger Games, Book 2) (original 2009; edition 2009)

by Suzanne Collins

25,636135344 (4.23)1 / 860
Member:2manybooksUK
Title:Catching Fire (Hunger Games, Book 2)
Authors:Suzanne Collins
Info:Scholastic (2009), Edition: 1, Paperback, 480 pages
Rating:*****
Tags:attic

Catching Fire by Suzanne Collins (2009)

The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins (sarkisi_beyaz)
    Tomorrow, When The War Began by John Marsden (Anonymous user)
    Anonymous user: Fans of the Hunger Games might enjoy Marsden's tale of action, survival and growing up.
    Mockingjay by Suzanne Collins (djlewis)
    The Giver by Lois Lowry (jessicastatzer)
    Little Brother by Cory Doctorow (Awesomeness1)
    Unwind by Neal Shusterman (Anonymous user)
    The Other Side of the Island by Allegra Goodman (cransell)

English (1,320)  Spanish (6)  German (4)  Italian (4)  French (4)  Dutch (3)  Catalan (3)  Hungarian (2)  Romanian (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  Finnish (1)  Indonesian (1)  Danish (1)  All languages (1,351)
Although this novel tread a lot of the same ground as The Hunger Games, I felt that it just went from strength to strength and really did improve on the few weak points from its precursor.

The novel maintains a very tense air as Katniss's actions at the end of the previous novel have sparked political unrest throughout at the District. This time, there is a sense that every little thing that Katniss does could spark massive repercussions against herself and her loved ones. The growing tension between the people of Panem leads to some nail biting reading and cause the novel to quickly become compulsive reading.

The novel was also superior in terms of characterisation. Last time, I criticised that I was not given any reason to care about the other Tributes. Collins resolved this neatly in this novel by allowing the reader to get to know several of them incredibly well before the Games even began. Because of this, I actually cared whether or not they survived the games and even got a bit sad when one or two were killed off.

All in all, it was a fantastic novel and it makes me excited to see how it will all conclude in Mockingjay. ( )
1 vote ArkhamReviews | Oct 28, 2014 |
It doesn't often happen that the second book in a series is as good as the first - but it does in this series. We are again united with Katniss, Peeta, Haymitch, and all of the other characters that we came to know so well in The Hunger Games. The "happy couple" is again thrown into the Hunger Games - with all of the adventures that involves. This may sound like a repeat of the plot of the original book - but it isn't. There is much more involved in this sequel. Katniss finds out that she has started something that she cannot stop - and it may end up taking her life. I was not going to read the final book in the trilogy (Mockingjay) until the movie was due to come out - but find that I have to find out what happens, so plan on starting it soon! ( )
  peggy.short | Oct 24, 2014 |
I rated Catching Fire half a star under the first book of the trilogy, The Hunger Games. This Instalment isn't quite as innovative and fresh, and of course, we know our main characters a bit better now. Still, there is plenty of action in the second half of the book to offset the somewhat slower first half, which sets the mental and emotional state of our protagonist, Katniss. Life hasn't turned out exactly as she'd thought it would since becoming a celebrity victor of the last Games. She's a bit dim-witted throughout this book and reluctantly and eventually accepts her central role in the developing rebellion again the Capital.

As usual, the author does a great job with the supporting cast, including Katniss' family, her love interests, Peeta and Gale, mentor Haysmith, her fashion staff, and the other contestants that share the Arena with her as the Capital forces the past victors into the Arena once more.

A nicely planned out Plotline, and detailed worldbuilding enhance this easy to read book and provides a nice bridge into what I hope will be the thrilling conclusion in the final book, Mockingjay. Recommended. ( )
  Zumbanista | Oct 20, 2014 |
(7.0)
  mshampson | Oct 15, 2014 |
Spoiler alert: Ok. The games made for aninteresting character study in the first book, but were just filler in here. Katniss became super annoying as a plot device. She also got dumber. I like the general story arc of the rebellion and the idea that Katniss needs to come to her own conclusions about that, but another gamex to bring everyone together? President Snow also did a lot of blatantly stupid things. I just felt like the storyline got too contrived about 30% in. ( )
  CassandraT | Oct 10, 2014 |
Collins has done that rare thing. She has written a sequel that improves upon the first book. As a reader, I felt excited and even hopeful: could it be that this series and its characters were actually going somewhere?

Set down your worries about a sophomore slump. Suzanne Collins has rekindled the crackling tension of her 2008 smash novel, "The Hunger Games." Once again, Katniss Everdeen must fight for her life.
added by stephmo | editPlain Dealer, Rollie Welch (Sep 6, 2009)

The author describes her wearing a series of Cher-worthy costumes in which she confronts poisonous mists, deranged monkeys, and a flock of ''candy pink'' birds equipped with long beaks used to skewer human necks. Great stuff, this. Unfortunately, such startling apparitions too quickly appear and disappear, baubles randomly affixed to a story that's been stretched to gossamer thinness.

Collins, Suzanneprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
McCormick, CarolynNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Ramírez Tello, PilarTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For my parents,
Jane and Michael Collins,
and my parents-in-law,
Dixie and Charles Pryor
I clasp the flask between my hands, even though the warmth from the tea has long since leached into the frozen air.
Dál svírám v dlaních polní láhev, ačkoliv všechno teplo z čaje už dávno vyprchalo do mrazivého vzduchu. Svaly mi tuhnou chladem. Kdyby se teď objevila smečka divokých psů, těžko bych stihla vyšplhat na strom, než na mě zaútočí. Měla bych se zvednout, protáhnout se a rozhýbat si končetiny. Místo toho ale zůstávám sedět, stejně nehybná jako skála pode mnou. Lesní tmu zvolna projasňuje svítání. Se sluncem se nedá bojovat. Mohu pouze bezmocně sledovat, jak signalizuje příchod dne, jehož se už měsíce děsím.
As far as I can tell, they never get up before noon unless there's some sort of national emergency, like my leg hair.
SPARKS ARE IGNITING.
FLAMES ARE SPREADING.
AND THE CAPITOL WANTS REVENGE.

Against all odds, Katniss has won the Hunger Games. She and fellow District 12 tribute Peeta Mellark are miraculously still alive. Katniss should be relieved, happy even. After all, she has returned to her family and her longtime friend, Gale. Yet nothing is the way Katniss wishes it to be. Gale holds her at an icy distance. Peeta has turned his back on her completely. And there are whispers of a rebellion against the Capitol — a rebellion that Katniss and Peeta may have helped create.

Much to her shock, Katniss has fueled an unrest she's afraid she cannot stop. And what scares her even more is that she's not entirely convinced she should try. As time draws near for Katniss and Peeta to visit the districts on the Capitol's cruel Victory Tour, the stakes are higher than ever. If they can't prove, without a shadow of a doubt, that they are lost in their love for each other, the consequences will be horrifying.

Katniss and Peeta
Fight the odds once again, but
Rebellion's afoot.
(passion4reading)

Against all odds, Katniss Everdeen has won the annual Hunger Games with fellow district tribute Peeta Mellark. But it was a victory won by defiance of the Capitol and their harsh rules. Katniss and Peeta should be happy. After all, they have just won for themselves and their families a life of safety and plenty. But there are rumors of rebellion among the subjects, and Katniss and Peeta, to their horror, are the faces of that rebellion. The Capitol is angry. The Capitol wants revenge.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:25:48 -0400)

By winning the annual Hunger Games, District 12 tributes Katniss Everdeen and Peeta Mellark have secured a life of safety and plenty for themselves and their families, but because they won by defying the rules, they unwittingly become the faces of an impending rebellion.… (more)

Three editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,487,214 books! | Top bar: Always visible