Catching Fire (Hunger Games, Book 2) by…

Catching Fire (Hunger Games, Book 2) (edition 2009)

by Suzanne Collins

27,245142236 (4.22)1 / 895
Member:2manybooksUK
Title:Catching Fire (Hunger Games, Book 2)
Authors:Suzanne Collins
Info:Scholastic (2009), Edition: 1, Paperback, 480 pages
Rating:*****
Tags:attic

Catching Fire by Suzanne Collins

The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins (sarkisi_beyaz)
    Mockingjay by Suzanne Collins (djlewis)
    The Giver by Lois Lowry (jessicastatzer)
    Tomorrow, When The War Began by John Marsden (Anonymous user)
    Anonymous user: Fans of the Hunger Games might enjoy Marsden's tale of action, survival and growing up.
    Little Brother by Cory Doctorow (Awesomeness1)
    Unwind by Neal Shusterman (Anonymous user)
    The Other Side of the Island by Allegra Goodman (cransell)

English (1,384)  Spanish (7)  German (5)  Italian (4)  French (4)  Dutch (3)  Catalan (3)  Hungarian (2)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  Romanian (1)  Finnish (1)  Indonesian (1)  Danish (1)  All languages (1,417)
fun book and excellent narrator (audiobook). Highly recommend, especially if you've seen the movie. ( )
  marshapetry | Aug 26, 2015 |
This installment is a middle one and it shows, as much of the book, especially the Victory Tour of all the districts, is clearly a setup for "Mockingjay". However, I still found the story gripping and the characters sympathetic, and the pace picks up once the Capitol swings into action against Katniss, District 12 and other targets. The Katniss-Gale-Peta triangle is not my favorite of part of the story, but it does add drama for those who don't mind that sort of thing. ( )
  bostonian71 | Aug 21, 2015 |
I think this one has a bit of "middle book syndrome," which the second of trilogies often suffer. The story has been set but the reader knows it will not be concluded, so the action has to be enough to sustain attention. Some things here felt forced and contrived, other aspects were kind of frustrating. I liked Katniss in the first book, I thought she was believable as the tough but caring heroine. This time her personal conflicts didn't feel real to me, somehow, and maybe it is the growing urgency of the political reality of her world that overshadows her little problems. It didn't quite all come together for me. My daughter has warned me not to bother with Mockingjay, but of course I have to finish reading the trilogy! I can already guess how this dystopian story will conclude, but I confess I'm curious how it plays out. ( )
  karenchase | Aug 20, 2015 |
WHOA! What a book! No wonder my friends kept asking me to read this book ASAP. The plot is till now airtight. Thought katniss's emotion towards peeta could have been dealt better. Yet it's a great book to read! Worth spending time and money on! ( )
  bookandink | Aug 19, 2015 |
As with the Harry Potter series, I resisted reading these books when they first came out, but after seeing the movies I wanted to give them a go. I devoured them, all three right in a row, barely pausing between or during (though I did re-watch the second movie after I finished the book, and was struck again at how decent the adaptations are).

It actually seems fairly difficult, in the aftermath of just having read all three, to review each volume separately; I'm sure that would have been simpler if I'd put a bit more space between them (or, of course, read them as they came out). The story works so well as a coherent whole, it just makes sense to think of the three as a unit.

Great, powerful look at a brutally dystopian world far too real for comfort. ( )
  JBD1 | Aug 18, 2015 |
Collins has done that rare thing. She has written a sequel that improves upon the first book. As a reader, I felt excited and even hopeful: could it be that this series and its characters were actually going somewhere?

Set down your worries about a sophomore slump. Suzanne Collins has rekindled the crackling tension of her 2008 smash novel, "The Hunger Games." Once again, Katniss Everdeen must fight for her life.
added by stephmo | editPlain Dealer, Rollie Welch (Sep 6, 2009)

The author describes her wearing a series of Cher-worthy costumes in which she confronts poisonous mists, deranged monkeys, and a flock of ''candy pink'' birds equipped with long beaks used to skewer human necks. Great stuff, this. Unfortunately, such startling apparitions too quickly appear and disappear, baubles randomly affixed to a story that's been stretched to gossamer thinness.

Collins, Suzanneprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
For my parents,
Jane and Michael Collins,
and my parents-in-law,
Dixie and Charles Pryor
I clasp the flask between my hands, even though the warmth from the tea has long since leached into the frozen air.
As far as I can tell, they never get up before noon unless there's some sort of national emergency, like my leg hair.
SPARKS ARE IGNITING.
FLAMES ARE SPREADING.
AND THE CAPITOL WANTS REVENGE.

Against all odds, Katniss has won the Hunger Games. She and fellow District 12 tribute Peeta Mellark are miraculously still alive. Katniss should be relieved, happy even. After all, she has returned to her family and her longtime friend, Gale. Yet nothing is the way Katniss wishes it to be. Gale holds her at an icy distance. Peeta has turned his back on her completely. And there are whispers of a rebellion against the Capitol — a rebellion that Katniss and Peeta may have helped create.

Much to her shock, Katniss has fueled an unrest she's afraid she cannot stop. And what scares her even more is that she's not entirely convinced she should try. As time draws near for Katniss and Peeta to visit the districts on the Capitol's cruel Victory Tour, the stakes are higher than ever. If they can't prove, without a shadow of a doubt, that they are lost in their love for each other, the consequences will be horrifying.

BL: 5.3 - AR Pts: 16.0
Katniss and Peeta
Fight the odds once again, but
Rebellion's afoot.
(passion4reading)

Against all odds, Katniss Everdeen has won the annual Hunger Games with fellow district tribute Peeta Mellark. But it was a victory won by defiance of the Capitol and their harsh rules. Katniss and Peeta should be happy. After all, they have just won for themselves and their families a life of safety and plenty. But there are rumors of rebellion among the subjects, and Katniss and Peeta, to their horror, are the faces of that rebellion. The Capitol is angry. The Capitol wants revenge.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:07:14 -0400)

By winning the annual Hunger Games, District 12 tributes Katniss Everdeen and Peeta Mellark have secured a life of safety and plenty for themselves and their families, but because they won by defying the rules, they unwittingly become the faces of an impending rebellion.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,149,260 books! | Top bar: Always visible