Em Chamas by Suzanne Collins

Title:Em Chamas
Authors:Suzanne Collins
Info:
Rating:**

Catching Fire by Suzanne Collins (2009)

2010 (131) 2011 (141) 2012 (187) action (145) adventure (420) dystopia (1,214) dystopian (428) ebook (222) fantasy (622) fiction (1,447) friendship (129) future (205) futuristic (133) Hunger Games (408) Kindle (199) love (134) novel (121) post-apocalyptic (286) read (302) read in 2012 (136) rebellion (242) romance (209) science fiction (1,404) series (397) survival (601) teen (203) to-read (124) YA (816) young adult (1,196) young adult fiction (169)
    The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins (sarkisi_beyaz)
    Tomorrow, When The War Began by John Marsden (Anonymous user)
    Anonymous user: Fans of the Hunger Games might enjoy Marsden's tale of action, survival and growing up.
    Mockingjay by Suzanne Collins (djlewis)
    The Giver by Lois Lowry (jessicastatzer)
    Little Brother by Cory Doctorow (Awesomeness1)
    Unwind by Neal Shusterman (Anonymous user)
    The Other Side of the Island by Allegra Goodman (cransell)

English (1,296)  Spanish (6)  German (4)  Italian (4)  French (4)  Dutch (3)  Catalan (3)  Hungarian (2)  Romanian (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  Finnish (1)  Indonesian (1)  Danish (1)  All languages (1,327)
If you liked The Hunger Games, then this is a must-read. It was almost as good as the first one (and that was a high standard for me). Fantastic plot, wonderful characters, intriguing action. Read it. ( )
  Tigerlily12 | Jul 8, 2014 |
While I agree that most sequels are not up to par as their original books, this book was very nicely done. There is the same mystery, terror and suspence from the first book, the deceptions, the feelings of love and remorse and how they all interweave to make Katniss' life more pleasurable and unbearable at the same time.

As I get more into the series, however, I begin to see some of the flaws in Katniss' logic (which really just provides a sense of foreshadowing?).

It ends on a huge cliffhanger--which the reader knows is coming when 40, 30, 20 pages to the end and a major part of the plot has not been resolved yet. Now I wait for book 3! ( )
  csweder | Jul 8, 2014 |

csweder | Jul 8, 2014 |
Although the first Hunger Games book in the trilogy is my personal favourite,this sequel to The Hunger Games was,in my opinion,almost just as good.From the start of the novel,despite the absence of the arena before the shocking revelation halfway through the novel that Katniss will be forced into the arena a second time,the stakes seem just as high as the first book.As the story progressed,I was unable to put the book down as there were so many shocking moments.It was very interesting to see the introduction as new characters,notably Finnick,and the consequences of Katniss'actions in the arena in the first book,as well as the development of Katniss's relationship with Peeta,and her conflicting feelings for Gale.It was overall a very action-packed,well written sequel,and the ending made me very excited to read the next/final book in the trilogy. ( )
  emcarleton | Jun 27, 2014 |
This is my least favorite book of the trilogy, and it definitely falls into "middle book syndrome". The things that happen are important, and the characters are explored a little further, but nothing that really measures up to the first or the last book. Plus, pretty much all my least favorite parts of the series happen in this book. ( )
  Stormydawnc | Jun 23, 2014 |
Collins has done that rare thing. She has written a sequel that improves upon the first book. As a reader, I felt excited and even hopeful: could it be that this series and its characters were actually going somewhere?

Set down your worries about a sophomore slump. Suzanne Collins has rekindled the crackling tension of her 2008 smash novel, "The Hunger Games." Once again, Katniss Everdeen must fight for her life.
added by stephmo | editPlain Dealer, Rollie Welch (Sep 6, 2009)

The author describes her wearing a series of Cher-worthy costumes in which she confronts poisonous mists, deranged monkeys, and a flock of ''candy pink'' birds equipped with long beaks used to skewer human necks. Great stuff, this. Unfortunately, such startling apparitions too quickly appear and disappear, baubles randomly affixed to a story that's been stretched to gossamer thinness.

Collins, Suzanneprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
McCormick, CarolynNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Ramírez Tello, PilarTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For my parents,
Jane and Michael Collins,
and my parents-in-law,
Dixie and Charles Pryor
I clasp the flask between my hands, even though the warmth from the tea has long since leached into the frozen air.
Dál svírám v dlaních polní láhev, ačkoliv všechno teplo z čaje už dávno vyprchalo do mrazivého vzduchu. Svaly mi tuhnou chladem. Kdyby se teď objevila smečka divokých psů, těžko bych stihla vyšplhat na strom, než na mě zaútočí. Měla bych se zvednout, protáhnout se a rozhýbat si končetiny. Místo toho ale zůstávám sedět, stejně nehybná jako skála pode mnou. Lesní tmu zvolna projasňuje svítání. Se sluncem se nedá bojovat. Mohu pouze bezmocně sledovat, jak signalizuje příchod dne, jehož se už měsíce děsím.
As far as I can tell, they never get up before noon unless there's some sort of national emergency, like my leg hair.
SPARKS ARE IGNITING.
FLAMES ARE SPREADING.
AND THE CAPITOL WANTS REVENGE.

Against all odds, Katniss has won the Hunger Games. She and fellow District 12 tribute Peeta Mellark are miraculously still alive. Katniss should be relieved, happy even. After all, she has returned to her family and her longtime friend, Gale. Yet nothing is the way Katniss wishes it to be. Gale holds her at an icy distance. Peeta has turned his back on her completely. And there are whispers of a rebellion against the Capitol — a rebellion that Katniss and Peeta may have helped create.

Much to her shock, Katniss has fueled an unrest she's afraid she cannot stop. And what scares her even more is that she's not entirely convinced she should try. As time draws near for Katniss and Peeta to visit the districts on the Capitol's cruel Victory Tour, the stakes are higher than ever. If they can't prove, without a shadow of a doubt, that they are lost in their love for each other, the consequences will be horrifying.

Katniss and Peeta
Fight the odds once again, but
Rebellion's afoot.
(passion4reading)

Against all odds, Katniss Everdeen has won the annual Hunger Games with fellow district tribute Peeta Mellark. But it was a victory won by defiance of the Capitol and their harsh rules. Katniss and Peeta should be happy. After all, they have just won for themselves and their families a life of safety and plenty. But there are rumors of rebellion among the subjects, and Katniss and Peeta, to their horror, are the faces of that rebellion. The Capitol is angry. The Capitol wants revenge.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:25:48 -0400)

By winning the annual Hunger Games, District 12 tributes Katniss Everdeen and Peeta Mellark have secured a life of safety and plenty for themselves and their families, but because they won by defying the rules, they unwittingly become the faces of an impending rebellion.… (more)

Three editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,252,471 books! | Top bar: Always visible