Catching Fire (The Hunger Games, Book 2) by…

Catching Fire (The Hunger Games, Book 2) (edition 2009)

by Suzanne Collins

34,753161934 (4.2)1 / 932
Member:epixpivotmaster
Title:Catching Fire (The Hunger Games, Book 2)
Authors:Suzanne Collins
Info:Scholastic Press (2009), Edition: 1st, Hardcover, 391 pages

Catching Fire by Suzanne Collins

The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins (sarkisi_beyaz)
    Mockingjay by Suzanne Collins (djlewis)
    The Giver by Lois Lowry (jessicastatzer)
    Tomorrow, When The War Began by John Marsden (Anonymous user)
    Anonymous user: Fans of the Hunger Games might enjoy Marsden's tale of action, survival and growing up.
    Little Brother by Cory Doctorow (Awesomeness1)
    Divergent by Veronica Roth (Morteana)
    The Other Side of the Island by Allegra Goodman (cransell)
    Unwind by Neal Shusterman (Anonymous user)

English (1,577)  Spanish (8)  German (7)  Italian (5)  French (4)  Dutch (3)  Catalan (3)  Hungarian (2)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  Romanian (1)  Indonesian (1)  Finnish (1)  Danish (1)  All languages (1,614)
Opinion
This book was not the book I thought it would be at all.It took a weird turn somewhere in the beginning .When president snow went to go see Katniss I couldn't believe what i was reading.I always wondered how President Snow knew that Katniss was going into the woods with Gale.I never found out and it always bugged me a little .President Snow also knew that about the kiss Katniss and Gale shared.The book got a little boring after the eleventh district .I would say read it just so you can read the third one .I have heard that it is way better than this one.

Summary
The book starts of in a place you never thought you have to see/read about Katniss being in .The woods were she has been hunting for an old friends that now works in the mines .It then moves on to President Snow making an unusual visit to Katniss.This visit is very weird and has some very weird request .If she doesn't someone important in her life dies.As Katniss goes threw with the victors tour she also has to sell the fact that she is in love with someone who she previously hurt .Will Katniss do the request like she was told or will she be rebellious like she usually is !?Will she make up with all her peace with her past friends !?Will she keep the secret or will she let it out !?Read and found out ! ( )
  jayleenS.b4 | Mar 26, 2019 |
The games were never easy to get over. But when Katniss finds President Snow in her living room everything changes. Katniss is told that the nightlock act had caused a sudden unexpected uprising. The districts saw it as an act of rebellion to the capitol. President Snow tells her that if she doesn’t convince them it was an act of love he will kill everyone she loves. Katniss and Peeta go on their victor’s tour to find that everything is true. The Quarter Quell is announced and Katniss is forced to go back into the games. The revolution is coming. And Katniss, is the mockingjay.

I love this trilogy. It has so much action and I always feel like I am connected to the characters and brought into their world. It is so fun to see them go along on the adventure, but there are also the sad moments. Poor Cinna, Poor Rue. Everything the capitol does is so angering and unfair, I feel like I’m part of the revolution. If America goes on like this I feel that this just might happen. Rich people will rule and poor people will suffer for them and work for them. Well, see ya later Mockingjays! ( )
  BenC.G3 | Mar 25, 2019 |
I enjoyed the series, moderately, when I read it three years ago. This second book continued the critique of the Bread and Circuses system, shown in the first book, that pulls resources from the Global South (i.e. particularly Districts 10, 11 and 12) to the developed former colonializing nations (Capitol), still protraying the USA as imperial Rome.

This second book brings into relief the details of the Roman Gladiatorial system, which readers and viewers may not identify with modern life. Perhaps football players and ballerinas 'ruining their bodies for the entertainment of others' comes to mind, similar to the most popular gladiators in Ancient Rome.

But, the revolutionary scenario neglects the difficulties of persuading the elites and semi-elites, Districts 1 and 2 being like some developing countries in terms of rising access to resources, and Gramscian alliances with the Capitol to prevent revolution in the first place.

Overall, while appreciating the references to PTSD, I found the second book more of a thriller than the first book, and a bit less interesting.
ShiraDestinie
U.N. Date: Monday, October 23, 12014 H.E. (Holocene/Human Era) ( )
  ShiraDest | Mar 6, 2019 |
Well, well. That's certainly a snappy ending.

As was inevitable, romance has come to the fore here and Katniss has shown herself to be pretty thick when it comes to such things, as well as other clues to the subterfuge going on around her.

That aside, this is still an enjoyable read though I wish more time had been spent on the Victory Tour section of the novel, I feel the story could have benefited from more development of circumstances outside of District 12.

The story's fast and definitely went in directions I didn't expect. More effort was taken with the surrounding characters as well, who had not had time to develop in the brief time before the Hunger Games started in the first book. I also liked seeing more beneath the surface of the Capital characters.

'Mockingjay' should wrap things up and provide the resolution that I feel was lacking in this one, which to be fair, is usually the case with middle books.

Hunger Games Trilogy

Next: 'Mockingjay'

Previous: 'The Hunger Games' ( )
  ManWithAnAgenda | Feb 18, 2019 |
I had to reread this because I realized that I never reviewed it!

Everything I loved about The Hunger Games reappears in this sequel. Katniss, Peeta, Gale, nonstop action and cliffhangers. These books are just amazing! This is the only book I've ever read that I didn't want to finish. Why? I knew once it was over I would have to wait an agonizing amount of time for Mockingjay to finish out the story for me! Oh Katniss, what will happen to you?

Suzanne Collins is the master of the moving plot. There has never been a time in either of her books that I was bored or felt like things were dragging. She knows exactly how much to give you, dangling it on a string in front of you so you will keep following along. Did I mention [b:Mockingjay|7260188|Mockingjay (Hunger Games, #3)|Suzanne Collins|http://photo.goodreads.com/books/1282388315s/7260188.jpg|8812783] is so far away?

To end this: I love these books. Plain and simple. Trilogy in hardcover you shall be mine! ( )
  roses7184 | Feb 5, 2019 |
Collins has done that rare thing. She has written a sequel that improves upon the first book. As a reader, I felt excited and even hopeful: could it be that this series and its characters were actually going somewhere?

The author describes her wearing a series of Cher-worthy costumes in which she confronts poisonous mists, deranged monkeys, and a flock of ''candy pink'' birds equipped with long beaks used to skewer human necks. Great stuff, this. Unfortunately, such startling apparitions too quickly appear and disappear, baubles randomly affixed to a story that's been stretched to gossamer thinness.

Collins, Suzanneprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
For my parents,
Jane and Michael Collins,

and my parents-in-law,
Dixie and Charles Pryor
I clasp the flask between my hands, even though the warmth from the tea has long since leached into the frozen air.
As far as I can tell, they never get up before noon unless there's some sort of national emergency, like my leg hair.
SPARKS ARE IGNITING.
FLAMES ARE SPREADING.
AND THE CAPITOL WANTS REVENGE.

Against all odds, Katniss has won the Hunger Games. She and fellow District 12 tribute Peeta Mellark are miraculously still alive. Katniss should be relieved, happy even. After all, she has returned to her family and her longtime friend, Gale. Yet nothing is the way Katniss wishes it to be. Gale holds her at an icy distance. Peeta has turned his back on her completely. And there are whispers of a rebellion against the Capitol — a rebellion that Katniss and Peeta may have helped create.

Much to her shock, Katniss has fueled an unrest she's afraid she cannot stop. And what scares her even more is that she's not entirely convinced she should try. As time draws near for Katniss and Peeta to visit the districts on the Capitol's cruel Victory Tour, the stakes are higher than ever. If they can't prove, without a shadow of a doubt, that they are lost in their love for each other, the consequences will be horrifying.
Katniss and Peeta
fight the odds once again, but
rebellion's afoot.
(passion4reading)

Against all odds, Katniss Everdeen has won the annual Hunger Games with fellow district tribute Peeta Mellark. But it was a victory won by defiance of the Capitol and their harsh rules. Katniss and Peeta should be happy. After all, they have just won for themselves and their families a life of safety and plenty. But there are rumors of rebellion among the subjects, and Katniss and Peeta, to their horror, are the faces of that rebellion. The Capitol is angry. The Capitol wants revenge.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:07:14 -0400)

By winning the annual Hunger Games, District 12 tributes Katniss Everdeen and Peeta Mellark have secured a life of safety and plenty for themselves and their families, but because they won by defying the rules, they unwittingly become the faces of an impending rebellion.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,185,394 books! | Top bar: Always visible