Catching Fire (The Second Book of the Hunger…

Catching Fire (The Second Book of the Hunger Games) (original 2009; edition 2013)

by Suzanne Collins

25,830135644 (4.23)1 / 862
Member:terriko
Title:Catching Fire (The Second Book of the Hunger Games)
Authors:Suzanne Collins
Info:Scholastic Press (2013), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 400 pages

Catching Fire by Suzanne Collins (2009)

The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins (sarkisi_beyaz)
    Tomorrow, When The War Began by John Marsden (Anonymous user)
    Anonymous user: Fans of the Hunger Games might enjoy Marsden's tale of action, survival and growing up.
    Mockingjay by Suzanne Collins (djlewis)
    The Giver by Lois Lowry (jessicastatzer)
    Little Brother by Cory Doctorow (Awesomeness1)
    Unwind by Neal Shusterman (Anonymous user)
    The Other Side of the Island by Allegra Goodman (cransell)

English (1,323)  Spanish (6)  German (4)  Italian (4)  French (4)  Dutch (3)  Catalan (3)  Hungarian (2)  Romanian (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  Finnish (1)  Indonesian (1)  Danish (1)  All languages (1,354)
This second book was another quick, light read. The writing was just as entertaining, and held my interest all the way through. However, some of the content was a little less interesting to me. The love triangle had too much page time in this story for my tastes. It had been introduced in the first book, but circumstances made it easier to ignore. In this second book, it was far more prominent. I also found some aspects of this book a little repetitive, particularly in the second half, although the twist before the halfway point caught me by surprise.

The main character, Katniss, did show a little more of a backbone in this story, which I was happy to see. She was often confused about how to handle things, but I guess that’s to be expected from a teenage girl with conflicting priorities.

I thought the way the book ended was quite interesting, although I would have been annoyed by it if I had read it before the third book was published. This book ended with more of a cliff hanger than the first book did. It didn’t help that I didn’t realize the last 8% of the Kindle edition I was reading was actually the first couple of chapters of the third book. I was unprepared for the end of the story to occur when I was only 92% through the book. But I’m definitely looking forward to finding out what happens next. ( )
  YouKneeK | Nov 22, 2014 |
This book kind of pissed me off. I hate that Katniss and Peta had to go through all this again and I hate how none of the people informed Katniss what was going to happen. I think it would have ended differently if they had. I also hate that poor Peta keeps getting the short end of the stick, not to mention poor Gale.

I enjoyed the book but I think the first one is my favorite in this series. ( )
  mojo09226 | Nov 21, 2014 |
Catching Fire takes place right after the last hunger games and Katniss has unintentionally started a revolution in almost all the districts. Then President Snow, the leader of the Panem, says that if she does not stop the revolution, she and everyone she cares about will be killed by the goverment. When Katniss realizes that what she has started cannot be stopped, and gives up, President Snow send her to the 75th hunger games where this year she will have to face expirienced veterens of the previous games, that know how to fight and impress a crowd. The arena is also much harder to survive in as plants and animals are exotic and strange. Dispite all the challenges though she somehow survives and is rescued by the rebles and is sent to a secret under groud base known as Discrit 13, and is told that her discrit was distroyed by a capitol bombing.

I think this was not as good as the first one, however that does not mean it wasn't a good book. The thing that bothered me the most about it was that it sort of seemed like a repeat of the first book, except perfected just a little bit so it could be qualified as a new book 3 ande a half of five stars. ( )
  johnn.b4 | Nov 17, 2014 |
Although this novel tread a lot of the same ground as The Hunger Games, I felt that it just went from strength to strength and really did improve on the few weak points from its precursor.

The novel maintains a very tense air as Katniss's actions at the end of the previous novel have sparked political unrest throughout at the District. This time, there is a sense that every little thing that Katniss does could spark massive repercussions against herself and her loved ones. The growing tension between the people of Panem leads to some nail biting reading and cause the novel to quickly become compulsive reading.

The novel was also superior in terms of characterisation. Last time, I criticised that I was not given any reason to care about the other Tributes. Collins resolved this neatly in this novel by allowing the reader to get to know several of them incredibly well before the Games even began. Because of this, I actually cared whether or not they survived the games and even got a bit sad when one or two were killed off.

All in all, it was a fantastic novel and it makes me excited to see how it will all conclude in Mockingjay. ( )
1 vote ArkhamReviews | Oct 28, 2014 |
It doesn't often happen that the second book in a series is as good as the first - but it does in this series. We are again united with Katniss, Peeta, Haymitch, and all of the other characters that we came to know so well in The Hunger Games. The "happy couple" is again thrown into the Hunger Games - with all of the adventures that involves. This may sound like a repeat of the plot of the original book - but it isn't. There is much more involved in this sequel. Katniss finds out that she has started something that she cannot stop - and it may end up taking her life. I was not going to read the final book in the trilogy (Mockingjay) until the movie was due to come out - but find that I have to find out what happens, so plan on starting it soon! ( )
  peggy.short | Oct 24, 2014 |
Collins has done that rare thing. She has written a sequel that improves upon the first book. As a reader, I felt excited and even hopeful: could it be that this series and its characters were actually going somewhere?

Set down your worries about a sophomore slump. Suzanne Collins has rekindled the crackling tension of her 2008 smash novel, "The Hunger Games." Once again, Katniss Everdeen must fight for her life.
added by stephmo | editPlain Dealer, Rollie Welch (Sep 6, 2009)

The author describes her wearing a series of Cher-worthy costumes in which she confronts poisonous mists, deranged monkeys, and a flock of ''candy pink'' birds equipped with long beaks used to skewer human necks. Great stuff, this. Unfortunately, such startling apparitions too quickly appear and disappear, baubles randomly affixed to a story that's been stretched to gossamer thinness.

Collins, Suzanneprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
McCormick, CarolynNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Ramírez Tello, PilarTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For my parents,
Jane and Michael Collins,
and my parents-in-law,
Dixie and Charles Pryor
I clasp the flask between my hands, even though the warmth from the tea has long since leached into the frozen air.
Dál svírám v dlaních polní láhev, ačkoliv všechno teplo z čaje už dávno vyprchalo do mrazivého vzduchu. Svaly mi tuhnou chladem. Kdyby se teď objevila smečka divokých psů, těžko bych stihla vyšplhat na strom, než na mě zaútočí. Měla bych se zvednout, protáhnout se a rozhýbat si končetiny. Místo toho ale zůstávám sedět, stejně nehybná jako skála pode mnou. Lesní tmu zvolna projasňuje svítání. Se sluncem se nedá bojovat. Mohu pouze bezmocně sledovat, jak signalizuje příchod dne, jehož se už měsíce děsím.
As far as I can tell, they never get up before noon unless there's some sort of national emergency, like my leg hair.
SPARKS ARE IGNITING.
FLAMES ARE SPREADING.
AND THE CAPITOL WANTS REVENGE.

Against all odds, Katniss has won the Hunger Games. She and fellow District 12 tribute Peeta Mellark are miraculously still alive. Katniss should be relieved, happy even. After all, she has returned to her family and her longtime friend, Gale. Yet nothing is the way Katniss wishes it to be. Gale holds her at an icy distance. Peeta has turned his back on her completely. And there are whispers of a rebellion against the Capitol — a rebellion that Katniss and Peeta may have helped create.

Much to her shock, Katniss has fueled an unrest she's afraid she cannot stop. And what scares her even more is that she's not entirely convinced she should try. As time draws near for Katniss and Peeta to visit the districts on the Capitol's cruel Victory Tour, the stakes are higher than ever. If they can't prove, without a shadow of a doubt, that they are lost in their love for each other, the consequences will be horrifying.

Katniss and Peeta
Fight the odds once again, but
Rebellion's afoot.
(passion4reading)

Against all odds, Katniss Everdeen has won the annual Hunger Games with fellow district tribute Peeta Mellark. But it was a victory won by defiance of the Capitol and their harsh rules. Katniss and Peeta should be happy. After all, they have just won for themselves and their families a life of safety and plenty. But there are rumors of rebellion among the subjects, and Katniss and Peeta, to their horror, are the faces of that rebellion. The Capitol is angry. The Capitol wants revenge.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:25:48 -0400)

By winning the annual Hunger Games, District 12 tributes Katniss Everdeen and Peeta Mellark have secured a life of safety and plenty for themselves and their families, but because they won by defying the rules, they unwittingly become the faces of an impending rebellion.… (more)

Three editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,024,810 books! | Top bar: Always visible