The Sketch Book of Geoffrey Crayon, Gent. by…

The Sketch Book of Geoffrey Crayon, Gent.

by Washington Irving, Washington Irving

Knickerbocker's History of New York by Washington Irving (anthonywillard)
    anthonywillard: In the vein of the Sketch Book's humorous reminiscences of New York as a Dutch colony.

I just finished reading Washington Irving's The Legend of Sleepy Hollow".It was included in the two book anthology "The Sketch Book of Geoffrey Crayon" by Washington Irving, Reading his words the images evoked in my imagination were full-bodied, sometimes scary and sometimes just delightful. Best of all by reading Irving's words I was able to see Ichabod Crane as the male who thinks he is so hot but not. ( )
  Bettesbooks | Jul 9, 2016 |
"Illustrated with one hundred and twenty engravings on wood, from original designs" gilded pages
  lazysky | Sep 19, 2015 |
Bought this ebook primarily because I was assigned a few of its short story in my North American Writters class. The stories are amazing, my favorite ones are "Rip Van Winkle" and of course "The Legend of Sleepy Hollow".

This particular edition was free on Amazon.com and although it is very well organized and there weren't any errors that I could find, I'm docking one star for a critical flaw on the ebook's design. The table of content is not hyperlinked, so if you just want to read a certain story instead of the whole book you need to go through the entire book "page" by "page" in order to reach your desired destination. If the table of content had been hyperlinked I would have given it the full 5 stars. ( )
  Soireb | Mar 30, 2013 |
When school hours were over, he was even the companion and playmate of the larger boys; and on holiday afternoons would convoy some of the smaller ones home, who happened to have pretty sisters, or good housewives for mothers, noted for the comforts of the cupboard. Indeed, it behooved him to keep on good terms with his pupils. The revenue arising from his school was small, and would have been scarcely sufficient to furnish him with daily bread, for he was a huge feeder, and, though lank, had the dilating powers of an anaconda; but to help out his maintenance, he was, according to country custom in those parts, boarded and lodged at the houses of the farmers whose children he instructed. With these he lived successively a week at a time, thus going the rounds of the neighborhood, with all his worldly effects tied up in a cotton handkerchief.

I was expecting this to be a book of short stories, when it was selected for my book club, but it's a mixture of stories and essays.

Irving starts the book by explaining how he got it published in Britain, and he comes across as a bit of a ditherer. Having had his book rejected by the London publisher John Murray, he gets Walter Scott to recommend him to a publisher in Scotland, then changes his mind and has it self-published in London, only for that to go wrong when the publisher went bust. Eventually the book was published by John Murray after Scott interceded for him again!

"The Voyage" brought home to me how different travel used to be. Irving says that the long sea voyage between America and Europe means that there is a clear break between home and abroad and allows travellers to prepare themselves mentally for new countries and new experiences. His next essay was set in Liverpool, where he landed in England, and is a tribute to William Roscoe a Liverpool man who devoted his life to writing histories of the Medicis, and on civic works in Liverpool. I found it quite ironic how Irving praised Roscoe for working so hard and doing so much for his home town, when he himself even made an excuse not to accept a job handed to him on a plate by Walter Scott when he was totally broke.

And then I finally got to a story. At least I "The Wife" may be a story, although it starts off more like an essay in praise of women and marriage. In fact, there are a couple of probably fictional accounts contained within the essays, there are only two bona fide "stories" in the whole book. These are the well known tales "Rip Van Winkle" and "The Legend of Sleepy Hollow", both of which I enjoyed. Although I had heard about Rip Van Winkle's long sleep, I had assumed that he had been bewitched by fairies, whereas he actually encounters the ghosts of Hendrick (Henry) Hudson and his crew, although this fits with the intertwined folklore concerning fairies and the dead, with the same stories that are told of fairies in some places, being told about the dead in others. I had never read "The Legend of Sleepy Hollow" either, although I saw the Johnny Depp film when it came out, and was aware that the film-makers had changed the ending. It was quite funny actually, with Ichabod Crane's obsession with food. At one point his eyes light up when he entered a room, and I assumed was because he had caught sigh of the girl he supposedly loved (and I was glad, because I thought maybe he did love her rather than the size of her inheritance), but then I turned the page and discovered that he had actually caught sight of a table laden with food!

It took me quite a while to read this book, because some of the essays were a bit samey, as is the way with collections of journalism, so I split them up and read other things in-between. I salsa kipped the stories about old-fashioned English Christmas traditions, as they were included in "The Keeping of Christmas at Bracebridge Hall" which I only read about 18 months ago .but I did enjoy his atmospheric description of a day spent wandering around Westminster Abbey, and the essay about the joys of fishing. ( )
  isabelx | May 30, 2011 |
Though the writing style might be difficult to wade through, the stories themselves are worth it. ( )
  lit13 | Dec 14, 2010 |

Washington Irvingprimary authorall editionscalculated
Irving, Washingtonmain authorall editionsconfirmed
Elvin, H. L.Translatormain authorsome editionsconfirmed
Moffett, H. Y.Editorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sprague, CurtissIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
I have no wife nor children, good or bad, to provide for. A mere spectator of other men's fortunes and adventures, and how they play their parts; which, methinks, are diversely presented unto me, as from a common theatre or scene. BURTON
To Sir Walter Scott, Bart., this work is dedicated, in testimony of the admiration and affection of the author.
In the bosom of one of those spacious coves which indent the eastern shore of the Hudson, at the broad expansion of the river denominated by the ancient Dutch navigators the Tappan Zee, and where they always prudently shortened sail, and implored the protection of St. Nicholas when they crossed, there lies a small market-town or rural port, which by some is called Greensburg, but which is more generally and properly known by the name of Tarry Town.
The first edition is titled “The Sketch Book of Geoffrey Crayon, Gent.” (abbreviating “Gentleman”). Titles of later editions hyphenate “Sketch-Book,” replace “Gent.” with “Esq.” or simply shorten the title to “The Sketch Book.” The first American edition (1819-20) appeared in seven small paper-bound volumes. The first London edition (1820), in two volumes, added two 1814 magazine articles by Irving (“Traits of Indian Character” and “Philip of Pokanoket”) and a concluding “L‘Envoy.” A revised edition in 1848 added two new stories (“London Antiquities,” “A Sunday in London”) and a preface and postscript to “Rip Van Winkle.” Many abridged editions have been published; some include only the best known stories (e.g., “Rip Van Winkle,” “The Spectre Bridegroom,” “The Legend of Sleepy Hollow”) or the Christmas essays (“Christmas,” “The Stage-Coach,” “Christmas Eve,” “Christmas Day”, “Christmas Dinner”).

Available online at The Hathi Trust:

Also available at The Internet Archive:

Originally published as The Sketch Book of Geoffrey Crayon, Gent, this book is considered a landmark in American fiction for introducing the modern short story form in America, The Sketch Book includes Washington Irving's most enduring works, “Rip Van Winkle and “The Legend of Sleepy Hollow. The collection also includes travel impressions and narratives featuring legends and folklore.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 115,323,138 books! | Top bar: Always visible