Check out the Valentine’s Day Heart Hunt!

The Cannibal by John Hawkes

The Cannibal (1949)

by John Hawkes

This was a hard book to rate. I think I want to give it 3.5/5.
I really enjoyed the writing, and the eerie surreal nightmare atmosphere. But despite myself I found I was constantly lost as to what was happening...and sort of didn't care to try to fix it. The ending was more clear to me so I found myself really into this world for the last few chapters.
I believe this book would make for better reading upon multiple readings. Which is good, it means there are riches still to be discovered. But I don't think I will be returning for quite a while. Pity. ( )
  weberam2 | Nov 24, 2017 |
couldn't do it....too much arty bleak description. ( )
  lxydis | May 11, 2013 |
Ok, I really hated this book, but I give it five stars. Let me explain. I had to put it down a lot--sort of the equivalent of covering my eyes at the movies. Reading it did strange, bad things to my heart rate. The book is a masterpiece of oblique anxiety and despair. Events are much more unhinged than in Kafka, with whom Hawkes is sometimes compared. Disturbing and unique. ( )
  poingu | Mar 30, 2013 |
3811. The Cannibal, by John Hawkes (read 8 Oct 2003) This 1948 "novel" is no. 100 on Pieio Scaruffi's list of the 150 best novels of all time, but I found it an awful book. Hawkes has been compared to Kafka--but Kafka is understandable. This is so obscure that I could hardly tell what the book is about; the language is clear but tells no comprehensible followable story. I don't recommend it. ( )
  Schmerguls | Nov 11, 2007 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 132,452,931 books! | Top bar: Always visible