Howards End Is on the Landing: A Year of…

Howards End Is on the Landing: A Year of Reading from Home (original 2009; edition 2010)

by Susan Hill

689None13,748 (3.75)189
Member:dorisannn
Title:Howards End Is on the Landing: A Year of Reading from Home
Authors:Susan Hill
Info:Profile Books (2010), Paperback, 240 pages
Rating:*****

Howards End is on the Landing by Susan Hill (2009)

Every book lover should read this incredibly informative, yet simply and accessibly written book.
The author writes not only about books that marked a certain period or event in her life (some are well known classics, some were unfamiliar to me), but also about people who wrote them. She writes about her own experience of meeting them in person or meeting people who have known them or wrote about them. These events are as interesting as her account on books scattered through her personal library. Being a writer herself (and also a publisher),as well as a passionate reader, she connects with the books and their authors on multiple levels.
An excellent read that will inspire you to read some of the book gems she mentions and also encourage you to reexamine your personal library. ( )
  Sanja_Sanjalica | Mar 14, 2014 |
So-so. A few interesting observations, but not as good as I had hoped for. I had to knock it down half a point for the sole reason that she listed Isabel Colegate as one of her top female authors. Also not impressed w/ how she'll knock an author such as Jane Austen, yet goes on and on about one of her half-baked faves. I'm getting just a bit tired of the snobbery of the Brits.... ( )
  untraveller | Oct 14, 2013 |
A completely delightful memoir by a passionate bibliophile. ( )
  Sullywriter | Apr 3, 2013 |
Like a fantastic conversation with a fellow book lover. Highly recommend.

This gives you a taste of how wonderful the sentences in this book are:

"My younger daughter learned to love Jane Austin from the BBC television adaptation....She watched it so many times that she knew it by heart and could hardly be deterred from reciting entire scenes for our entertainment, until, like Mary, she had delighted us long enough."

"Wordsworth says, 'Dreams, books, are each a world.'"

In a chapter on great books that she has not read: "Nor can I read Ulysses, though Stephen Fry, cleverer and more better read than anyone I know, swears by it. He told me that it was just a question of diving in and swimming fast."

tippycanoegal | Apr 1, 2013 |
MOST enjoyable reading, with acute insights into reading and literature. But how it cries out for an index! ( )
1 vote KayCliff | Feb 24, 2013 |
'To my friends pictured within.'
It began like this.
Wain has written an utterly convicing, honest and sensitive account of the deep, inarticulate, agonised love of a father for his brave, confused and lonely child.
Fast reading of a great novel will give us the plot. It will get us names, a shadowy idea of characters, a sketch of settings. It will not get us subtleties, small differentiations, depth of emotion and observation, multilayered human experience, the appreciation of simile and metaphor, any sense of context, any comparison with other novels, other writers. Fast reading will not get us cadence and complexities of style and language. It will not get us anything that enters not just the conscious mind but the unconscious.

Early one autumn afternoon in pursuit of an elusive book on her shelves, Susan Hill encountered dozens of others that she had never read, or forgotten she owned, or wanted to read for a second time. The discovery inspired her to embark on a year-long voyage through her books, forsaking new purchases in order to revisit her own collection.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,489,060 books! | Top bar: Always visible