Howards End Is on the Landing: A Year of…

Howards End Is on the Landing: A Year of Reading from Home (original 2009; edition 2010)

by Susan Hill

Member:dorisannn
Title:Howards End Is on the Landing: A Year of Reading from Home
Authors:Susan Hill
Info:Profile Books (2010), Paperback, 240 pages
Rating:*****

Howards End is on the Landing by Susan Hill (2009)

This book already has me reading Trollope again. I love the premise. Spend a year reading the books you have on the shelves in your house. Why are they there? Spend a year reading those books, she says. Don't buy more. But of course, reading her book, I have bought more.

Would love to stop.

Finished the book. The premised of the book and its overall impact is more successful than any one essay. Like her list of 40 books. Should probably try to create one myself.

Have now finished both of the books on her top 40 from Trollope. Also in the midst of Our Mutual Friends (predates starting this book) which ends up being her Dickens choice. I could get hooked on Trollope. Is that a good thing. Just finished The Last Chronicle of Barset. And now I'm ready to go back to the Warden. ( )
  idiotgirl | Dec 25, 2015 |
While searching for a specific book from her library, Susan Hill discovered that the book was not where she thought it would be. However she did discover many books that she had not read, or deserved a re-read. This inspired a new reading project, to spend the next year dipping into her own library and read the books she has forsaken. Howards End is on the Landing not necessarily charts her reading but more Susan Hill’s opinions on literature and the bookish world.

First thing you discover is that Susan Hill’s house is full of books, not sorted and no order. She had to search for the book she was looking for, expecting it in the one place but not finding it. I love having my library like this, I recently had to look for my copy of Anna Karenina and I just loved looking at all my books and remembering the stories and memories that go with each one. This is the basic premise of this memoir; Hill goes through her bookshelves and shares memories and thoughts she has about the state of literature.

Susan Hill goes on talking about her thoughts on being an author, the publishing world, self-publishing, libraries, bookshelves, re-reading and even the joys of reading slowly. I have recently discovered the joys of re-reading and reading slowly so on so many thoughts, Hall and I were on the same page. Even though we come from different lives, it was such a joy reading a book devoted to her memories of all the books that sit on her shelves, and scattered across her house.

I have tried to spend a year not buying any new books, in the hopes to read more of the books on my shelves. It did not work. I did however discover how great the library is and started using my local library more. I also discovered how easy it is to get books without having to spend money, especially ARCs. The book buying ban did not work, I still have shelves full of books I still need to read. I know my taste in literature has drastically changed, and I am not sure if I should cull some of these books even if I have never read them.

The end of Howards End is on the Landing talks about if she had to cut down her library to forty books, which ones she will keep. The thought of culling your library so drastically terrifies me but I did enjoy pondering which books I would keep if I did have to cull that much. Or maybe my house burnt down, which books I would rebuy to start my new collection. I know Frankenstein, Crime and Punishment, Lolita, and most of the books on my favourite’s shelf would remain. However it is not about picking favourites, more about picking the books you would like to read over and over again. Which makes for an interesting thought process.

I am interested in the topic of memoirs in association with books like what is found in Howards End is on the Landing. My memories with this memoir will be closely associated with sitting in a hospital in Nouméa as my mother-in-law passed away. It gives me mixed feelings to love a book so much in such a sad time for my family. I even read this as an eBook on my phone, an experience I do not enjoy either but it was more convenient than carrying a book around.

I found Howards End is on the Landing to be one of the better books about books out there, I am disappointed that my memories of it will be attached to such a tragic event. I found Susan Hill to be very tender towards her love of books, while remaining unafraid to express why she did not like a book. She is never dismissive of the books she did not enjoy, she just does not have the desire to read them. I think it would be a hard balance to get that balance right without sounding like a cranky reader. Howards End is on the Landing will hold a special place in my heart and I do hope others get a chance to read it.

This book originally appeared on my blog; http://www.knowledgelost.org/book-reviews/genre/non-fiction/howards-end-is-on-th... ( )
  knowledge_lost | Dec 21, 2015 |
A book about books, reading, life, and so many other things. This is the type of book that is always easy for me to sit down and get caught up in. In this memoir Hill takes the reader on a journey through her bookshelves and her reading life by only reading the books she already owns, for a year. The exploration of this collection shows that there is so much more to a collection and the individual books in that collection than just the words between the covers. Books take on a life of their own and hold memories that surround the books.

I find that Hill shares much of my love for books and of owning books. I'm a reader and collector who might spend more time reminiscing about buying particular books than actually reading them, but I'm ok with that, as I feel that Hill is too. It was great reading an author's appreciation for everything that is "The Book" and books. I only wish it kept on going. I savored every word and stretched out my reading when I could have devoured the book in a day. ( )
  Robert.Zimmermann | Oct 15, 2015 |

With Howard's End is on the Landing Susan Hill offers an amiable, chatty look at books she has loved, loathed and left unread. Her rambles take the reader back to her childhood in Scarborough, to her college years in London and through her years as a writer and radio personality. Through these years she managed to meet a great number of the book world elite, from dashing Ian Fleming to the formidable Sitwells. These remembrances, some of which were very slight, at the library, E. M. Forster dropped a book on her foot, may seem to some to be just so much name-dropping. However, they really work both to support her contention that so many of these gods of li-tra-tra were kind, helpful and immanently human, well Edith Sitwell wasn't, and to develop the chatty tone. Honestly, if I happen to be chatting with you about the rock scene of the late '70, I will just have to tell you about the time Elvis Costello's keyboard player touched my arm or the time I had a brief but lovely conversation with Brian Wilson. I would do so for these reasons. One to show my own giddy, star struck nature at 16, the other to show the gentle sweetness of the Wilson. And, well that is what people do when they chat.
Hill in her chattiness shares a wealth of opinions and reading foibles. Some of those opinions are bound to raise eyebrows; she can't find pleasure in Austen and has strong views on book plates. One which I was glad to hear voiced was her attitude towards new books which is similar to mine. We both prefer to avoid them in their newly minted state to wait until, as she puts it, "the dust has settled." As with her name-dropping her rather ruthless bandying of views enhances the friendly, volubility of the tone. Though I deeply pity her inability to enjoy Austen rather like I pity my son's color blindness.

As one would expect, Hill has added new names to my never shortening list of must reads. I suppose my final analysis would be that it was an amiable way to spent a very hot summer day thanks to its gregarious tone, but Hill provided me with no ah-ha or aw moments. ( )
  lucybrown | Sep 27, 2015 |

lucybrown | Sep 27, 2015 |
'To my friends pictured within.'
It began like this.
Wain has written an utterly convicing, honest and sensitive account of the deep, inarticulate, agonised love of a father for his brave, confused and lonely child.
Fast reading of a great novel will give us the plot. It will get us names, a shadowy idea of characters, a sketch of settings. It will not get us subtleties, small differentiations, depth of emotion and observation, multilayered human experience, the appreciation of simile and metaphor, any sense of context, any comparison with other novels, other writers. Fast reading will not get us cadence and complexities of style and language. It will not get us anything that enters not just the conscious mind but the unconscious.

Early one autumn afternoon in pursuit of an elusive book on her shelves, Susan Hill encountered dozens of others that she had never read, or forgotten she owned, or wanted to read for a second time. The discovery inspired her to embark on a year-long voyage through her books, forsaking new purchases in order to revisit her own collection.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 107,528,887 books! | Top bar: Always visible