English Trifle by Josi S. Kilpack

English Trifle

by Josi S. Kilpack

From My Blog...

Sadie has a nose for posh nosh as well as murder and stumbles across both while visiting England. English Trifle by Josi S. Kilpack is the second in her Sadie Hoffmiller culinary mystery series and is quite delightful. With only a few more hours until their flight departed, Sadie Hoffmiller and her daughter Breanna found themselves in the sitting room of Southgate Estate awaiting Liam, Breanna's boyfriend and heir to an Earldom. While taking a turn about the room they encounter John Henry, the nurse to Liam's ailing father William, skewered to the wall with a fireplace poker. Unfortunately no one believes their witness since someone removed his body and according to the staff, no one saw or heard anything. Waiting to give their statement, Sadie and her daughter Breanna miss their flight home, leaving them stranded in the ninth Earl of Garnett's home, Southgate Estate, long outstaying their welcome, if they are judging the staff correctly. Sadie wants to know what happened to the body and who had motive to not only kill this man but to remove all traces of the crime. Kilpack delivers another charming and intriguing mystery along with recipes, each sounding more delicious than the previous one. Her main characters are charming and face some rather standoffish staff members who would prefer to see Sadie and Breana off. Each staff member as well as the guests at Southgate Estate appear to have secrets of their own, making it all the more difficult to determine who has done what, if anything. While English Trifle is the second in her series, it can be read as a stand alone novel, however the first novel, Lemon Tart and the third novel Devil's Food Cake must be mentioned for those readers who like a good mystery series, especially with a culinary twist and prefer to read a series in order. I recommend English Trifle for anyone looking for a quaint mystery to curl up and enjoy. ( )
  knittingmomof3 | May 25, 2010 |
In just the first pages, I was whisked to England and got lost in the story and didn't even realize that I had been reading for hours. Josi has such a way of drawing you in and keeping you captivated! From characters to the plot to the recipes - I was totally in love with "English Trifle".

When I think of the main character, Sadie Hoffmiller, I find myself smiling. She's a card, plain and simple. She's a mom of an adult daughter that isn't too worried about being straight-forward, and sometimes to the point of being just plain nosy. She also loves food, and thinks about it and eats a bit more than she should. She's one who won't take no for an answer and can be a bit pushy and aggressive. I adored everything about her!

"English Trifle" is book 2 of the Culinary Mystery series, and I was a bit worried that I would be lost. I hate coming into a series that I can't grasp the characters or storyline because I haven't read the books in order. This book, to me, stands on its own. I had no problem getting to know the characters. This book has also whetted my appetite to want to read more of the series, though. "Lemon Tart" and "Devil's Food Cake" are on my list to pick up the next time I go to the bookstore!

One of the neatest things I found about Josi's book, is the recipes. Sadie will tell about a fantastic thing she had to eat and make you really want to just have a taste. (Sadie is definitely bad for my waistline!) Then at the end of the chapter, Josi has the recipe! What a wonderful surprise. ( )
  tweezle | May 19, 2010 |

What begins as a holiday trip for amateur sleuth and cooking aficionado Sadie Hoffmiller and her daughter, Breanna, turns into a bizarre mystery. First comes the discovery of a dead body in the sitting room of an English manor belonging to the family of Breanna's boyfriend, who is also heir to the family title. When the body comes up missing, Sadie begins her own investigation to find the killer.… (more)

Josi S. Kilpack is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 114,418,165 books! | Top bar: Always visible