Das Spiel seines Lebens: Roman by Harlan…

Das Spiel seines Lebens: Roman (original 1995; edition 2007)

by Harlan Coben, Gunnar Kwisinski (Übersetzer)

Sports agent Myron Bolitar is poised on the edge of the big-time. So is Christian Steele, a rookie quarterback and Myron's prized client. But when Christian gets a phone call from a former girlfriend, a woman who everyone, including the police, believes is dead, the deal starts to go sour. Suddenly Myron is plunged into a baffling mystery of sex and blackmail. Trying to unravel the truth about a family's tragedy, a woman's secret, and a man's lies, Myron is up against the dark side of his business - where image and talent make you rich, but the truth can get you killed.… (more)
Member:CrazyTabasco
Title:Das Spiel seines Lebens: Roman
Authors:Harlan Coben
Other authors:Gunnar Kwisinski (Übersetzer)
Info:Goldmann Verlag (2007), Taschenbuch, 384 pages

Deal Breaker by Harlan Coben (1995)

Recently added byAnnaHernandez, rena75, private library, steinbecj4, edswoman, ringstedpl, Kmaxey, ConcitatorPacem

English (65)  Dutch (2)  German (2)  Spanish (1)  French (1)  All languages (71)
A young sports man gets a phone call from a girl who is suppose to be dead. a good read which keeps interest till the end. ( )
  BryceV | Nov 27, 2018 |
I understand what other people like about this novel. It just wasn't my taste.

I really liked Myron Bolitar. He's hilarious. In fact, many of the colourful characters were likeable. But for whatever reason, I couldn't get sucked in. I tried. This novel was recommended to me on two separate occasions, and so while I was reading, all I could think was, Why am I not enjoying this?
I think this is more an issue of genre. I could really care less about sports and the corruption of sports agents. And there is a lot of dialogue about these two things.
I found the plot predictable, and even worse, skimmable. I skimmed the last half of the novel. Because I skimmed it, maybe it's not really fair of me to review it in the first place. But I simply could not bring myself to read another page. I was bored. Strange, when every ending is a cliff-hanger and the suspense was supposed to be nail-biting.
A lot of it felt emotionally stilted. The novel takes place three days after Myron's love interest, Jessica, finds out that her father has been murdered. She seems kind of upset, but not nearly as much as she should be. She seems far more upset by the disappearance of her sister, who has been missing for two years already, and her feelings for Myron. I found her unrealistic.
Despite my objections, I can see how other people could be sucked into Myron's world. He's really funny, and good at tae kwon do. He lives in his parent's basement because he likes their company. He turns into a blubbering idiot around the girl he loves. He's a good hero, with flaws and quirks. He even has an awesome sidekick. ( )
  lhofer | Sep 26, 2018 |
Good, easy read with witty dialogue, suspense and a satisfying ending. Enjoyed..... ( )
  almin | Jul 29, 2018 |
I really liked this book a lot, and I'm glad it's the first of a series. Love the main character, Myron and his semi-sociopathic side-kick Win. The story is a nice blend of mystery, suspense and chuckle-out-loud sarcasm. Smart story and character development. I'll definitely read more of Harlan Coben. ( )
  ppmarkgraf | May 5, 2018 |
The first in the Myron Bolitar series is an excellent stand-alone mystery, but the real fun is being introduced to Myron, Win, and Esperanza. This story revolves around a top draft pick that Myron is representing and events from his past. It will keep you reading with the twists and turns in the plot. ( )
  DrApple | Nov 19, 2017 |
Nagelbijtend spannend... Niemand kan ontkennen dat Coben verschrikkelijk goed schrijft.
This, like everything else, is for Anne.
Otto Burke, the Wizard of Schmooze, raised his game to another level.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 138,840,269 books! | Top bar: Always visible