dismiss

Der Insider: Roman by Harlan Coben

Der Insider: Roman (original 1996; edition 2007)

by Harlan Coben, Gunnar Kwisinski (Übersetzer)

Series: Myron Bolitar (3)

For sports agent Myron Bolitar, the disappearance of a man he'd once competed against was bringing back memories--of the sport he and Greg Downing had both played and the woman they both loved. Now, among the stars, the wanna-bes, the gamblers and groupies, Myron is unraveling the strange, violent life of a sports hero gone wrong, and coming face-to-face with a past he can't relive, and a present he may not survive.… (more)
Member:CrazyTabasco
Title:Der Insider: Roman
Authors:Harlan Coben
Other authors:Gunnar Kwisinski (Übersetzer)
Info:Goldmann Verlag (2007), Taschenbuch, 384 pages

Fade Away by Harlan Coben (1996)

English (28)  Dutch (2)  Spanish (2)  French (1)  Portuguese (1)  German (1)  All languages (35)
Fade Away is so far one of the best novels in this series, that I've read. Not only is Coben really hitting his stride with the characters in this novel, but the twisty-turny plot line kept me enthralled throughout. I listened to this entire audiobook in two sittings, late at night when almost the entire house was asleep, and I had no distractions. Boltar's character is so fleshed out, he seems more real than ever to me, and I adore his sarcastic asides and Bon mot's especially. (And the other characters as well. But NOT the way he made fun of the new receptionist, "Big Cindy"...! That was awful, and Coben should be ashamed of his sizeist attitude! I would hope that Coben's attitude towards larger sized women changes before the next novel.)
Anyway, I snickered more than once, and this does not happen often.
Jonathan Marosz is a great narrator, and I hope he narrates more of The Boltar's series. The reveal at the end of the novel was a real wowser, and I am betting that it will keep me, and many, many other readers and listeners coming back for more. I'm very happy that I kept up with this series, through the first couple of novels in it. This novel is the beginning of the pay off. P,ease give this series a try, you won't be disappointed.
4 solid stars, and recommended for other lovers of mystery novels. ( )
  stephanie_M | Apr 30, 2020 |
Signed by the author. ( )
  ME_Dictionary | Mar 19, 2020 |
Myron Bolitar is brought back into the world of basketball and with the people of his past: his ex-girlfriend and nemesis Greg Downing. Greg has disappeared and the team owner wants to know why and where he is. ( )
  creighley | Oct 14, 2018 |
Myron's basketball career was cut off before it started when a pre-season game resulted in a severe knee injury that would ultimately crush his professional NBA dream.

A decade has past, and his basketball rival, Greg Downing, has vanished, and Myron is hired to find him. To do so, Myron is drafted back into the game. As the evidence unravels, Myron learns more than he expected about his rival, his first love, and himself...

shannon.dolgos | Sep 5, 2017 |
Fade Away is the third book in the Myron Bolitar series. Myron is a sports agent and former FBI agent, but ten years ago was a a top NBA draft choice until an serious injury sidelined him in his first preseason game. Myron's former rival, Greg Downing, is now a superstar for the New Jersey Dragons. He's also missing and the owner of the team wants Myron to find him. To do that he gives Myron a place as a substitute on the team. When the trail leads to the bludgeoned corpse of a woman last seen with Greg, Myron, and his best friend and partner, Win, find themselves in real trouble. Win has a penchant for violence and he certainly puts it to use in their investigation.

I enjoyed the plot twists involving Myron’s history and the way he has coped with his disappointment over the years. The writing is suspenseful, at at the same time, laugh out loud funny. The characters are all multi-dimensional, and the secondary characters of Win and Esperanza, are some of the best I've ever seen. Harlan Coben is a master of great storytelling and suspense. Myron is a fascinating character and I look forward to continuing the rest of this highly addictive series. ( )
  Olivermagnus | Aug 9, 2017 |
For Larry and Craig, the coolest brothers a guy could ever have, if you don't believe me, just ask them.
"Just behave."

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 146,748,027 books! | Top bar: Always visible