The Dark Griffin by K. J. Taylor

The Dark Griffin (original 2009; edition 2009)

by K. J. Taylor

Member:Tsana
Title:The Dark Griffin
Authors:K. J. Taylor
Info:Pymble, N.S.W. : HarperVoyager, 2009.
Collections:Your library, Dead tree books, Sweden.
Rating:*****
Tags:Fantasy, Australian, AWW2013

The Dark Griffin (The Fallen Moon, Book 1) by K. J. Taylor (2009)

The first book in the series. In this world, griffins and griffin riders rule from their mountaintop city. Unfortunately for me, this felt way too much like Eragon. Replace dragon with griffin and many things are the same. The attitudes of the riders, the fact that they rule just by being griffin riders. The only difference and it is a small one, is that griffins have magic and riders do not.
Arren Cardockson is an outsider from a northern barbarian family. Normally northeners wouldn't be griffin riders at all, but Arren is. A conspiracy against him sets the events of this book in motion. Not bad, just not that good either. ( )
  Karlstar | Jan 12, 2016 |
Quickly caught up in story, characters and world building -- but honestly, although well written so I knew I would finish the book, the first few chapters left me with no clue what book/series was going to be. The character points of view swinging from adult griffin (possibly headed toward a Mutual of Omaha Wild Kingdom type of special, lol), to infant griffin to the protagonist Arren gsve no hint as to how good the book became once it mostly settled on Arren and the events in his home city. What a find in the SF/Fantasy new releases buried in all the horror/paranormal/urban-whatever I am so tired of seeing.
[bc:The Dark Griffin|9069880|The Dark Griffin (The Fallen Moon, #1)|K.J. Taylor|http://photo.goodreads.com/books/1311703473s/9069880.jpg|6886047] [bc:The Griffin's Flight|8509220|The Griffin's Flight (The Fallen Moon, #2)|K.J. Taylor|http://photo.goodreads.com/books/1311703484s/8509220.jpg|13375398] [bc:The Griffin's War|9306559|The Griffin's War (The Fallen Moon #3)|K.J. Taylor|http://photo.goodreads.com/books/1284508856s/9306559.jpg|14189538] ( )
  Spurts | Oct 29, 2015 |
Not bad. It's never fun when the main character gets his entire life messed up by those scheming around him and all he gets is the bad end of the deal... but it's leading into the next book in the series! I'm interested to see where it goes.

kevbayer | Jun 20, 2014 |
One thing I find lacking in most other books of the same genre are richly written details of the world in which the story unfolds. I'm not actually comparing this book to Lord of the Rings, but (for me) that is one book that fills in so much history and detail of the world and history that the story seems real/plausible. Taylor did just that with her detail and understanding of her world making me feel as though this world did exist (or could). She obviously put much thought into this aspect of the story. Another facet that I found interesting and a nice change of pace is the 'hero'. He isn't some obscure, little figure that rises to hero status and is expected to save the world. Arren discovers that the world in which he lives and all notions of right and wrong are not what he first believed. His character's journey was very well written (sorry, I don't want to spoil the story with more details) - giving the reader insight and understanding into Arren and his world. I would most definitely recommend this book to others and I look forward to reading more from Taylor. ( )
  mlh2 | Aug 7, 2013 |
Another book that sounded like it would be perfect for me, supernatural creatures and their riders, someone struggling against odds. It read like several other authors that I have enjoyed, but this didn't quite work for me, things weren't helped by the fact that the information on the back contains a bit of a spoiler.

Arren Cardockson is from a race who were slaves where he lives, however he has risen to the status of Griffin's companion, however many people want him to fail, in some ways obviously. I have read a fair few of these and a lot of what happened was a bit obvious, particulalry for fans of the genre.

I wasn't interested enough to continue following the series. ( )
  wyvernfriend | May 14, 2013 |
For Bran, you'll always be my big guy.
It all began with the hatching of the dark griffin. A restless day. A grey day. Clouds the colour of lead lay low over the land like a blanket, and the wind that blew over the mountains had the tang of ice in it. Winter was over, but the memory of it lingered.

"Being chosen as a griffin's companion has allowed Arren Cardockson to gain a place of status within the land of Cymria. But even with his griffin by his side, Arren can never escape the prejudice that comes with his Northerner slave origins. After an unfortunate incident leaves him in debt, Arren accepts the well-paying task of capturing a wild griffin, ignorant of the trials about to befall him. Betrayed by those he trusted and forced to fight for his life, Arren has nothing left besides the hatred growing inside him. But chained within the Arena, where rogue griffins battle to entertain the crowds, there lies another sould crying out to be freed--a kindred spirit who will allow Arren to fulfill his destiny and release the darkness in his heart."--P. [4] of cover.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 107,506,332 books! | Top bar: Always visible