Ginger High by Melissa Burmester

Ginger High

by Melissa Burmester

In a school where the students have special powers, unexplained deaths are popping up around Ginger High. All of the victims have bite marks on their necks. After having to back to their parallel, supernatural world of Animist, supernatural beings, Matthias, Taeru, and Amanta, are brought back to help solve the mysterious deaths. After her old school burns down, Daisy Fisher starts at Ginger. As if learning to control her newfound supernatural powers wasn’t enough, she discovers a deep, family secret. She soon makes friends with Amanta and teams up with him to try and solve the deaths, but could the family secret and the deaths be somehow connected? Will the 4 people be able to solve the mystery before they too wind up victims?
This book has a great concept and a unique plot, especially with the parallel universes. The characters were likable and entertaining, but needed fleshed out more. The plot was fast-paced, but had a few holes and the transitions weren’t smooth. It also would have been nice to have a little more detailed description in some parts. The story was a fun read, however, and well worth the time. Overall, a pretty good book for a first-time young novelist. ( )
  kirathelibrarian | Sep 3, 2013 |
Ginger High is a school unlike any other. The students are from another universe and possess powers beyond your wildest imaginations. Someone is using their powers for evil and this person is not afraid to kill. Several unexplained deaths cause some of the students to follow the clues and find out who is doing this before it's too late.

This is the author's first book and I'm so excited to see what she publishes next. The author is able to capture your attention and keep it page after page. ( )
  bridget3420 | Oct 30, 2009 |
This review was originally posted on my review blog : Falling Off The Shelf.

Ginger High is for special students. These students have an array of talents that no normal person is bestowed. People with these talents descended from a parallel universe called Animist, although some are unaware that is truly where they are from. When unexplained deaths start occuring at Ginger High, two long time friends, Matthias and Amanta return to Ginger High to help solve the mysteries.

Daisy Fisher is a young student of Ginger High. She comes from another town, and was forced to go to Ginger High after her own school was burned down. She will have to learn the ropes at Ginger High, and understand what it means to have powers.

This was a really quick read, although it didn't have as much appeal for me as I expected it to. I was confused with how the story jumped around between narrators, and there was some gaps in the story. The actually idea for this story was a great idea, and that is why I kept on.

Halfway through this story I was wondering about the author, and I was pleasantly surprised to learn that Melissa Burmester is only 14 years old. This is when I realized the mistakes of the novel and lack of characterization came from. This is her first novel, and she has plenty of time left in life to expand and learn from her mistakes. I'm very curious to see where this series will go, and especially curious as to how the author will transform in her work. ( )
  jenni7202 | Oct 23, 2009 |
Review:
Ginger High is an interesting and dialogue heavy book. I found the shifts from different time periods and from Earth to Animist a bit confusing, but it's a valiant first effort by Melissa Burmester. It's hard to believe that it is a work of a fourteen-year old.

Publisher: Infinity Publishing (May 15, 2009), 229 pages.
Review copy provided by the author and Pump Up Your Book Promotion Tours. ( )
  gaby317 | Oct 15, 2009 |
Ginger High is no ordinary school. It is a school for students with special powers. Many years ago people came to Earth from the Kingdom of Animist, a parallel universe. Two long time friends, Matthias and Amanta, attended the school and then returned home to Animist. The school has had many unexplained deaths. Daisy Fisher attends the school after her old school burns down. Matthias and Amanta are called back to the school to help solve the mysteries. What are powers? And what is with this crazy school? Welcome to Ginger High.

First off, I would like to give major kudos to Miss Burmester for being a published author at the young age of 14. Ginger High was written at the age of 12 and the fact that she was able to have it published two years later is quite the accomplishment.

This was a very neat story ... with parallel universes, a school for kids with super powers, supernatural creatures, a war in the midst, students being mysteriously attacked, oh and, of course, a cute boy. I enjoyed the story line as well as I thought there were some great characters in the story. My only complaint would be with character definition. I really wish there would have been “more” to all the characters. I felt that I couldn’t identify or relate with any them because there just wasn’t enough substance. I also felt that the ending didn’t wrap up and left a few loose ends - but that might be because I now read that Ginger High will be a series.

This is a fast moving story with plenty of twists and just enough action and adventure to keep the pages flowing. I believe this is geared toward young adults but I can definitely recommend to younger tweens as well. This is a wonderful debut for Miss Burmester and I’ll be sure to keep an eye out for her future work. ( )
  bookwormygirl | Oct 9, 2009 |

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 115,173,533 books! | Top bar: Always visible