Invasion, Bd. 1: Der Aufmarsch by John Ringo

Invasion, Bd. 1: Der Aufmarsch (original 2000; edition 2003)

by John Ringo, Werner Bauer (Herausgeber), Heinz Zwack Lit. Age. (Übersetzer)

Member:ThorstenKammer
Title:Invasion, Bd. 1: Der Aufmarsch
Authors:John Ringo
Other authors:Werner Bauer (Herausgeber), Heinz Zwack Lit. Age. (Übersetzer)
Info:Heyne Verlag (2003), Taschenbuch, 400 Seiten
Collections:SiFi
Rating:*****

A Hymn Before Battle by John Ringo (2000)

A very military mil-SF novel, clearly the first of a series but can comfortably be read as a stand-alone. Ringo's style is similar to that of [a:Bruno Goncalves|8629492|Bruno Goncalves|https://d.gr-assets.com/authors/1417097066p2/8629492.jpg] in [b:Descent into Mayhem|24176196|Descent into Mayhem (Capicua Chronicles #1)|Bruno Goncalves|https://d.gr-assets.com/books/1419881380s/24176196.jpg|42845899] and [b:Tears of Gliese|28798176|Tears of Gliese (Capicua Chronicles #2)|Bruno Goncalves|https://d.gr-assets.com/books/1454070573s/28798176.jpg|49010032], but much more anchored in US military culture and jargon - and I think Goncalves is much better, especially in characterization and in the depth of his thinking.
This story is strongly tied to an Earth in danger from hostile aliens, where human soldiers must go out to fight the enemy, against overwhelming odds, on alien worlds. Nominally friendly alien races also at war against the Posleen are in partnership with humanity, and share their technology with humanity, allowing the development of advanced weapons systems and hi-tech armoured infantry suits just in time. Ringo's presentation of these complex allies is brilliant. The hi-tech infantry suits are a great creation, although Ringo sometimes pushes the boundary of probability in action sequences. His characters are good, some better than others, but I found the sprawling cast to be a little hard to cope with. Ringo compensates for this by telling a well-paced and engaging story with excellent action. For sensitive readers I have to note that there is soldierly foul language and serious violence and gore - but hey, it's mil-SF, what would you expect? There was also, for my taste, a little too much of the Earth-based politicking among officers (and NCOs), but I'm sure others would be quite comfortable with that.
Strongly recommended for mil-SF fans. ( )
  DavidR1958 | Jul 4, 2017 |
I mean good god, look at the fucking cover. I should have brown paper bagged it because I was so embarrassed to read this thing in public.

I read it because of all the rave reviews I've seen about it on the internet, and I was expecting it to be a really fun space opera. It has its moments, but it's really just a run of the mill trash novel fraught with all the tropes of the genre. And whoever designed the covers to these books should be dragged to the streets and shot. Look at the one for "Gust Front," which is the next book in this series. It might be the most ridiculous cover I have ever seen in my entire life.

barriboy | Jan 25, 2016 |
post-apocalyptic
  ShariDragon | Jul 11, 2015 |
baen ebook
  romsfuulynn | Apr 28, 2013 |
This was one of the Baen Free Library books that I read a long time ago and was sort of surprised to really like. A lot of it is inside-baseball military jargon that I find surprisingly fascinating, and the rest is pure jingoistic shoot-'em-up fun. The setup is sort of perfect - the aliens are almost completely unrelatable and therefore cause no one shooting them any moral qualms (they eat everything, including their own children!) they're tough enough to require a great deal of blowing up, and dumb enough to allow themselves to be blown up with easy-to-follow tactics. Mike O'Neal, the main protagonist, is a ridiculous author-insertion fantasy (massively strong, super intelligent, tremendously competent, absurdly brave, married to a hot ex-military ex-stripper, and, naturally, a scifi writer.) It's sort of charming how perfect he is.

Pure brain-rotting fluff, this book. ( )
2 vote JeremyPreacher | Mar 30, 2013 |
This book is dedicated to my loving wife, Karin,
and my wonderful daughters Jenny and Lindy,
for not leaving me while I wrote it.
Living with a writer is a lesser Circle of Hell.
Prologue:
"How many worlds does this make?"
Story:
Michael O'Neal was a junior associate web consultant with an Atlanta web-page design firm

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0671318411, Mass Market Paperback)

With Earth in the path of the rapacious Posleen, the Galactic Federation offers help to the backward humans -- for a price. You can protect yourself from your enemies, but God save you from your allies!

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:10:01 -0400)

With Earth in the path of the rapacious Posleen, the peaceful and friendly races of the Galactic Federation offer their resources to help the backward Terrans--for a price. As Earth's armies rush into battle and special operations units scout alien worlds, the humans begin to learn a valuable lesson.… (more)

1 free

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,222,561 books! | Top bar: Always visible