Alice, Let's Eat: Further Adventures of a…

Alice, Let's Eat: Further Adventures of a Happy Eater

by Calvin Trillin

Very funny at times, and always interesting to hear the adventures of the Trillins and their meals. ( )
  auntieknickers | May 23, 2013 |
Listed in various sources as an American humourist (although most such sources spell humourist in American!). This, along with other Trillin books, makes really good reading with food as the focus. An added poignancy is added as his title companion, his wife Alice, died in 2001 and is the subject of a later book, 'About Alice' - also recommended.
  Carrie.deSilva | Aug 29, 2011 |
The first clue was this funny quip: "It all comes out on the honeymoon. " I soon realized I was reading something like "Julie and Julia", as much about marriage and love as it was about eating. Wonderful at many levels.
  grheault | Dec 28, 2010 |
I've been reading Trillin's essays for years but this is the first time I've sat down with an entire book's worth. As with many poetry collections, I sat down expecting to browse through a small selection of pieces at a time but then suddenly I'd finished it.

Although everything was written in the 70s, remarkably little is dated. Many foodie trends have, in fact, cycled back around. My copy is a first edition hardcover. It cost about $2 and likely always will but the yellowing pages and dated dustjacket font added nicely to what nostalgia there was.

Besides the food, the fun of reading Trillin is in the humor, the kind that provides a chuckle on nearly every page, far too frequently to quote. It's the same sort of humor as Nora Ephron's, but less political and more prolific. I did get a little green about their apparently unlimited travel and leisure budget, though. And I kept wanting to tell Alice to just go sightsee without him rather than always missing out on a museum in favor of a restaurant.

The more about food you've read, the more rewarding this collection is. My favorite part was encountering Shopsin's when it was still just a grocery and mentioned under a different name. Trillin also describes a restaurant in Reading PA called simply Joe's, whose award-winning cookbook I bought (new) 20 years later.

It's not an entirely fun book. Alice Trillin comes across so vividly as such an interesting, clever, and just plain nice person that her relatively early death (in 2001) casts a melancholy light on many passages.

On the plus side, this is the second of a trilogy. And I would love another helping. ( )
  kristenn | Sep 5, 2010 |
Part of what became known as 'The Tummy Trilogy' by the author. See other entries. He subsequently pub the three in one volume with the moniker. Fin beck, fine humorist. He's a national treasure.
  kitchengardenbooks | Mar 4, 2010 |

“Trillin is our funniest food writer. He writes with charm, freedom, and a rare respect for language.”
New York magazine

In this delightful and delicious book, Calvin Trillin, guided by an insatiable appetite, embarks on a hilarious odyssey in search of “something decent to eat.” Across time zones and cultures, and often with his wife, Alice, at his side, Trillin shares his triumphs in the art of culinary discovery, including Dungeness crabs in California, barbecued mutton in Kentucky, potato latkes in London, blaff d’oursins in Martinique, and a $33 picnic on a no-frills flight to Miami. His eating companions include Fats Goldberg, the New York pizza baron and reformed blimp; William Edgett Smith, the man with the Naughahyde palate; and his six-year-old daughter, Sarah, who refuses to enter a Chinese restaurant unless she is carrying a bagel (“just in case”). And though Alice “has a weird predilection for limiting our family to three meals a day,” on the road she proves to be a serious eater–despite “seemingly uncontrollable attacks of moderation.” Alice, Let Eat amply demonstrates why The New Republic called Calvin Trillin “a classic American humorist.”

“One of the most brilliant humorists of our times . . . Trillin is guaranteed good reading.”
Charleston Post and Courier

“Read Trillin and laugh out loud.”
Time

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:15:55 -0400)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 115,165,630 books! | Top bar: Always visible