The Big Meow by Diane Duane
Collections:Read, ebooks, Cover done
Rating:***1/2
Tags:Fic, SF, !authorsite

The Big Meow by Diane Duane

Well. I like the cats - but somehow this was less satisfying even than To Visit The Queen. Of course, that may be partly because what I was reading was essentially an e-ARC - it hasn't had the final professional polish. However, as I have little or no interest in early Hollywood, or Damon Runyon, I doubt it will ever be a favorite. On the other hand, I don't much care about modern New York either, and The Book of Night with Moon certainly drew me in there.
That aside - I have a little trouble with the multiple factors. And there's the annoyance of escalation - in the first book they saved the universe; in the second, the multiverse - so in this one they have to protect the multiverse against a threat that comes from _outside_ it, so the Queen and the rest are only moderately helpful. And the Lone One is actually an ally, of sorts... So we have time travel, earthquakes accelerating in two times, random - or not so random - murders, cats talking to all kinds of people (I think her wish at the end will only make her life _more_ complicated!), and oh yeah, true love across a lifetime or two. That's what I meant by multiple factors. Plus Ith, of course, and (as I mentioned) Damon Runyon...A little scattered. And the ending is just a little too sweet (ok, it took a lot of pain and effort and struggle to get there...but it's still a trifle HEA). I really want to see the finished book - here's hoping! ( )
  jjmcgaffey | Nov 20, 2012 |
Four-thirty on a Sunday morning is about the closest the City that Never Sleeps ever gets to turning its name untrue.
If that happens, you shall take me to the deli afterwards to compensate, and there shall be a great deal of pastrami bestowed upon me.
And a great deal of hot sauce, Arhu said.
I will meet idiots today, went one version of her after-waking meditation, and one of them will probably be me.
...the hummingbird, a subdued blood-ruby glint in the early light, went after him at humm factor five, closing fast.

Diane Duane is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,492,798 books! | Top bar: Always visible